Pittsburgh Billy

JAM

Verified Member
tonygreen said:
and that's Ted Wilson !

A/k/a "Teddy Bear" Wilson, a southpaw. He came in third. Cigar Tom came in second.:cool:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
fred bentivegna said:
Danny DiLiberto in the early 90s. Even as bad as he played the game, Danny was still jus about as good as anybody in the late 80s and early 90s, due to his powerful ball running ability. He played Billy I 10 to 8 around that time!

Beard

If you could get the balls up table, Danny would just pay it off right then.:rolleyes:
Freddie your memory is as good as any ones but you must be on some strong meds if you think Danny or any one played me, or could of played me 10 to 8 when I was playing my best one pocket.When I was playing my best one pocket I was playing guys like Bugs and Grady even and winning my share of our match ups. Reyes wasn't relative at that time. I snuck up on Hopkins in his pool room in Egg Harbor and he tried to give me 10 to 8 because he always thought that I was A 9 ball player not a one pocket player and he checked out very short. I also gave Ronnie Allen 8 to 7 and beat him in Las Vegas, after I beat him he said that I was playing as good as Grady when he was playing his best.

I retired from pool from 1973 to about 1980 and than started back. I never played 9 ball as well as I did before I retired but I still played pretty good. Danny was a hell of a player but he or no one else could of given me 10 to 8 back then. If you remember I finished 2nd. in two one pocket tournaments around that time, the US Open and the Roanoke tournament. I believe I would of won both of them if I was able to sleep the night before the finals. I also finished 3rd. in Strawberry's tournament, the one that Varner beat Sigel in the finals. In all three of those tournaments the field was as strong as any one pocket tournament we had in the US.

In the 70's I was considered one of the three best 9 ball players in the country, along with Lassiter and Jimmy Reid. But I didn't play one pocket back then, it wasn't until I was living in Las Vegas when I had my home with a pool table that I started to play strong one pocket, due to the many times I played Ed Kelly. I learned to play one pocket from playing Kelly a countless number of hrs at my home.

I was two years past my prime playing one pocket when Reyes came into the country l played Reyes right before I moved to Chicago, and when I moved to Chicago he was living there too and we played many times with the hit and the pick. It was a tough game, but I was not playing nearly as well as when I was playing my best several years before that. Reyes wasn't playing his best at that time either, but he ran balls so well that he could of beaten any one.

Freddie you never saw me play when I was playing my best one pocket, and you never saw Danny give me 10 to 8.

Billy I.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I didnt see it.

I didnt see it.

wincardona said:
Freddie your memory is as good as any ones but you must be on some strong meds if you think Danny or any one played me, or could of played me 10 to 8 when I was playing my best one pocket.When I was playing my best one pocket I was playing guys like Bugs and Grady even and winning my share of our match ups. Reyes wasn't relative at that time. I snuck up on Hopkins in his pool room in Egg Harbor and he tried to give me 10 to 8 because he always thought that I was A 9 ball player not a one pocket player and he checked out very short. I also gave Ronnie Allen 8 to 7 and beat him in Las Vegas, after I beat him he said that I was playing as good as Grady when he was playing his best.

I retired from pool from 1973 to about 1980 and than started back. I never played 9 ball as well as I did before I retired but I still played pretty good. Danny was a hell of a player but he or no one else could of given me 10 to 8 back then. If you remember I finished 2nd. in two one pocket tournaments around that time, the US Open and the Roanoke tournament. I believe I would of won both of them if I was able to sleep the night before the finals. I also finished 3rd. in Strawberry's tournament, the one that Varner beat Sigel in the finals. In all three of those tournaments the field was as strong as any one pocket tournament we had in the US.

In the 70's I was considered one of the three best 9 ball players in the country, along with Lassiter and Jimmy Reid. But I didn't play one pocket back then, it wasn't until I was living in Las Vegas when I had my home with a pool table that I started to play strong one pocket, due to the many times I played Ed Kelly. I learned to play one pocket from playing Kelly a countless number of hrs at my home.

I was two years past my prime playing one pocket when Reyes came into the country l played Reyes right before I moved to Chicago, and when I moved to Chicago he was living there too and we played many times with the hit and the pick. It was a tough game, but I was not playing nearly as well as when I was playing my best several years before that. Reyes wasn't playing his best at that time either, but he ran balls so well that he could of beaten any one.

Freddie you never saw me play when I was playing my best one pocket, and you never saw Danny give me 10 to 8.

Billy I.

That's what Danny told me. And I am pretty sure he said he did it in Vegas. He stayed with me for about a month in approx 1990 and that is when he told it to me.
Because it was such a big spot it stuck in my mind. i thought it was a little strong myself. Take it up with Danny.

Beard

Just called Danny. He said, like you said, that he never gave you 10 to 8. I must be getting senile. But I remember that distinctly being said to me? Danny did say that he tried to give you the break in Vegas but he couldnt win at that game. He said he was in with Varner.

Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I didnt see it.

I didnt see it.

wincardona said:

Billy I.

That's what Danny told me. And I am pretty sure he said he did it in Vegas. He stayed with me for about a month in approx 1990 and that is when he told it to me.
Because it was such a big spot it stuck in my mind. i thought it was a little strong myself. Take it up with Danny.

Beard

Just called Danny. He said, like you said, that he never gave you 10 to 8. I must be getting senile. But I remember that distinctly being said to me? Danny did say that he tried to give you the break in Vegas but he couldnt win at that game. He said he was in with Varner.

Last edited:

tonygreen

Well-Known-Member
to quote Incardona ..." I never played 9 ball as well as I did before I retired but I still played pretty good. Danny was a hell of a player but he or no one else could of given me 10 to 8 back then. If you remember I finished 2nd. in two one pocket tournaments around that time, the US Open and the Roanoke tournament. I believe I would of won both of them if I was able to sleep the night before the finals. I also finished 3rd. in Strawberry's tournament, the one that Varner beat Sigel in the finals. In all three of those tournaments the field was as strong as any one pocket tournament we had in the US."

Dr. Incardona at Strawberry's tournament I remember you offering two guys you'd never seen before a few balls for a more than a few "goosenecks" in DC we often called Benjamin's a "gooseneck" (sorry a.d.d.). In 1992-93 Reyes may have (maybe) been able to give you Billy a ball but he was not at Straw's tournaments ... nobody else on earth could give you 10-8 that's for sure.

As the young kids say these days "no homo" but I acknowledge your absolute top 10 status at the time ... At Straw's tournament Bugs grabbed the mic and announced don't quote me wword for word but something like "anybody want action see me in the back" the two of you didnt play but I don't know what your relationship was with him and the drama that came w/ playing him and his entourage at the time.

Rumors of billy's "action" always had one major theme he'll bet big and that he'll bet his own money.

Alot of players have backers but some of them will "toss you" (throw the game) not usually an issue when a guy is betting his own.

Ronnie Allen's best ten year span was what 67' to 77' i dont know im guessing that Reyes was 88' to 98' (guestimating) and Hopkins and Incardona were in the middle 82 to 92 again approximations (on this site stating a year gets you flamed w/ accusations) LOL

When was your best 6 or 7 year span playing one-hole Billy? Allen Hopkins was three-quarter of a ball better than you Dr. Incardona would you agree or disagree Sir?

Opinions everybody's got one like a**-h**** ...

I had a friend in Philly and he told me that when Efren came over in 85' that Mike LeBron and he ran around for a year and Reyes gave everybody 11 - 7 if Spanish Mike hadn't heard of them and if he did know them they got 8 to 7 or 9 to 7 and the break was included AUTOMATIC

This said still puts Incardona in the top ten as i stated before, on any given day any top 20 player could give another 11 to 8 considering amount of the bet,table condition and location.

$.03 cents

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
One Pocket Ghost said:
Well Ken, I guess everybody else is too shy to chime in, but the Ghost isn't..:)...imo...

It's all about the time frame...yes, of course, Efren was the best in his time frame, and Ronnie was the best in his time (or was it Artie?):)...

But Billy was in his One Pocket prime right inbetween Ronnie and Efren's time...and at that time there was no clear cut "best in the country"...it was a toss up/tie between a handful of players for "best in the country" - and Billy was one of those players in the toss up...some of the others in that toss up/tie for best player, imo, were, Hopkins, Grady, Varner, Bugs, and the 'cookie monster'.

- Ghost

Ghost there was a 25 year gap between Ronnie A. and Reyes, but I appreciate you putting me in there with all of those great players, plus there were others that played well enough to be included with your list. Players like Fusco, Hall, and Joyner. And then shortly after then came Richie Rich, Jeremy Jones, and others.

Billy I.

tonygreen

Well-Known-Member
Vh1 or MTV does a top 100 everything list and ESPN has it's top 100 NFL greatest plays and top 50 this and top 100 that ... Wouldn't it be nice to see One-Pocket dot org come up with something like that?
5 categories
top 50 players
top 100 shots recorded from Accu-stats
top 10 players who disappeared
... sounds like alot of work, not enough people would chime in.
The most posts here get het 1,000 views and 12 comments

SJDinPHX

Suspended
vapros said:
When did Jack Cooney appear, and how should he be ranked among the top players 20-30 years ago?

Vapros,

Jack was known as a very smart hustler, and a very solid player for the cash. He rarely sought real tough action, unless he was bored, near empty, or thought he was stealing.

On those rare occasions, he needed weight from quite a few of the top players, and he did not always win getting it. For instance, he used to get a ball or so, from Toby Flaherty. Good little player, but nowhere near the top 5 or 10 players in his prime. They played often, in Vegas, and after several long sessions, over a few years, I believe they are about even.

I like Jack, and I think he is very deserving of the 1P HOF. But, more for his management, and high dollar scores, then his actual playing level... JMHO

Jimmy B

Verified Member
wincardona said:

Billy I.

There's Lawmen On Your Trail About To Pound You
There's Guns Across The River That Surround You
Bounty Hunters Dancing All Arround You
Billy They Don't Like You To Be So Free....

Camping All Night On The Veranda
Playing Cards Till Dawn In The Haciendo
Up To Boot Hill They Want To Send Ya
Billy You're So Far Away From Home...

Playing Arround With Some Sweet Senorita
Into Her Dark Hallway She Will Lead Ya
Through Shadows Of The Mesa She Will Greet Ya
Billy Don't You Turn Your Back On Me...

Gypsy Queens Will Play Your Grand Finale
Down In Some Tularosa Alley
Maybe In La Rio Pecas Valley
Billy They Don't Like You To Be So Free

They Say Old Pat Garrett's Got Ya Number
Sleep With One Eye Open When You Slumber
Every Little Sound Could Be Thunder
Thunder From The Barrel Of His Gun.......

Bob Dylan