Practice shot legal?

Skin

Verified Member
Suppose you are left with a shot you'd like to take a swing at first before you shoot it. There is an open table next to you. What happenes if you set a couple of balls up over there and take a whack before you begin your inning?

Legal or not?

There is no "official" rule on it as far as I can find and it seems to me that nobody would think about it when making a game.

Skin

Fanatic

Verified Member
Skin said:
Suppose you are left with a shot you'd like to take a swing at first before you shoot it. There is an open table next to you. What happenes if you set a couple of balls up over there and take a whack before you begin your inning?Legal or not? There is no "official" rule on it as far as I can find and it seems to me that nobody would think about it when making a game. Skin

I would say illegal.. first of all if it's before your inning that means that it's during your opponents inning which is distracting, rude and disrespectful to your opponent ...or otherwise known as a sharking tactics.
XOXO
Fanny

P.S--even if you were allowed each table plays different so whats the point

jbravo2984

I would say illegal, given the fact that if the opposing player wanted to do the same later on in the set or the night or whatever, there may not be an open table for him to do so. Not to mention that opportunity would not present itself say if there was only one table for the two of you to play on. I would say absolutely not. I do like the thought given to this scenario though. and you're right, I'm sure this is never taken into consideration when making a game. Probably because it shouldn't be allowed regardless of its legality.
my 2 cents-jbravo

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Huh?

Huh?

Fanny, hold it right there a minute. Are you suggesting that a player might, during the opponent's inning, try to practice a shot that hasn't been left for him yet?

I can't imagine that anybody would let you get away with such a move, anyway, gambling or not. This is how people get hit in the mouth. I agree, Skin, that it does not seem to violate any existing rule, but that doesn't make it acceptable. I say forget it. :rolleyes:

Fanatic

Verified Member
huh to you

huh to you

vapros said:
Fanny, hold it right there a minute. Are you suggesting that a player might, during the opponent's inning, try to practice a shot that hasn't been left for him yet?

I can't imagine that anybody would let you get away with such a move, anyway, gambling or not. This is how people get hit in the mouth. I agree, Skin, that it does not seem to violate any existing rule, but that doesn't make it acceptable. I say forget it. :rolleyes:

I said it was a no-no (ILLEGAL) i dont get where it says in my post that it's okay to practice a shot during a game--
XOXO

Skin

Verified Member
Fanatic said:
I said it was a no-no (ILLEGAL) i dont get where it says in my post that it's okay to practice a shot during a game--
XOXO

Fanny, somebody is hacking the site to stir up trouble. A juvenile, most likely. A moron for sure.

You can tell because the hacked-in writing here has the same structure as on the other thread.

Skin

Fanatic

Verified Member
Skin said:
Fanny, somebody is hacking the site to stir up trouble. A juvenile, most likely. A moron for sure.

You can tell because the hacked-in writing here has the same structure as on the other thread.

Skin

I'm confused everything looks normal to me... except my new cat
XOXO

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I think that practicing on an adjacent table is universally frowned upon, and as such, could invite controversy -- or more. The World Pool general rules (for tournament play) say the opponent is supposed to stay in their chair. I don't see that being enforced. One Pocket often has relatively quick exchanges of safeties -- I know I often remain standing or leaning.

Looking at the world rules it seems like practicing on an adjacent table might fall under the category of "unsportsmanlike conduct", meaning it could elicit a warning from the ref, and a penalty if it continued, but I couldn't find anything specific about practicing, this was about the closest...

25. Remaining in Player’s Chair
The non-shooting player should remain in his designated chair while his opponent is at the table. Should a player need to leave the playing area during matches, he must request and receive permission from the referee. Should a player leave the playing area without the permission of the referee, it will be treated like unsportsmanlike conduct.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Fanatic said:
XOXO
fanny, i thought you caught your cats expression after you made another great shot. looks normal to me:cool:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
NH Steve said:
I think that practicing on an adjacent table is universally frowned upon, and as such, could invite controversy -- or more. The World Pool general rules (for tournament play) say the opponent is supposed to stay in their chair. I don't see that being enforced. One Pocket often has relatively quick exchanges of safeties -- I know I often remain standing or leaning.

Looking at the world rules it seems like practicing on an adjacent table might fall under the category of "unsportsmanlike conduct", meaning it could elicit a warning from the ref, and a penalty if it continued, but I couldn't find anything specific about practicing, this was about the closest...

25. Remaining in Player’s Chair
The non-shooting player should remain in his designated chair while his opponent is at the table. Should a player need to leave the playing area during matches, he must request and receive permission from the referee. Should a player leave the playing area without the permission of the referee, it will be treated like unsportsmanlike conduct.
Aside from what you've just posted, I've never seen any written rule on the subject. I have, however, played at tournaments where the TD announces that a contestant's practicing on another table during a match is not permitted.

Doc

Skin

Verified Member
Fanatic said:
XOXO

Fanny, something weird as going on with the posts last night on the other thread. Thought it might be happening on this thread, too.

Anyway, what I meant in my scenario for this thread was: the guy you're playing finshes shooting and it is your table now. You look the situation over, see a shot, step over to an adjacent table, set it up, and take one practice whack at it before you shoot on the game table. Technically, all of that is happening during your inning.

I am not advocating doing this because I think it is unsportsmanlike unless both guys agreed it was OK before the game. Just saying that, technically, there would be no rule against it as far as I know, even in tournament play.

Skin

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Skin said:
Fanny, something weird as going on with the posts last night on the other thread. Thought it might be happening on this thread, too.

Anyway, what I meant in my scenario for this thread was: the guy you're playing finshes shooting and it is your table now. You look the situation over, see a shot, step over to an adjacent table, set it up, and take one practice whack at it before you shoot on the game table. Technically, all of that is happening during your inning.

I am not advocating doing this because I think it is unsportsmanlike unless both guys agreed it was OK before the game. Just saying that, technically, there would be no rule against it as far as I know, even in tournament play.

Skin
THe cat had a bad hair day.

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
dead action

dead action

Can't comment on the legality of it but it is in the area of extremely poor taste to do so.Its just barely acceptable when your playing yourself and nobody's watching except Robert Johnson's devil who made you do it.

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
World Standard Rules

The BCA Pool League has a similar rule.

6.16 Unsportsmanlike Conduct
The normal penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct is the same as for a serious foul, but the referee may impose a penalty depending on his judgment of the conduct. Among other penalties possible are a warning; a standard-foul penalty, which will count as part of a three-foul sequence if applicable; a serious-foul penalty; loss of a rack, set or match; ejection from the competition possibly with forfeiture of all prizes, trophies and standings points.
Unsportsmanlike conduct is any intentional behavior that brings disrepute to the sport or which disrupts or changes the game to the extent that it cannot be played fairly. It includes
(a) distracting the opponent;
(b) changing the position of the balls in play other than by a shot;
(c) playing a shot by intentionally miscuing;
(d) continuing to play after a foul has been called or play has been suspended;
(e) practicing during a match;
(f) marking the table;
(g) delay of the game; and
(h) using equipment inappropriately.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
SactownTom said:
World Standard Rules

The BCA Pool League has a similar rule.

6.16 Unsportsmanlike Conduct
The normal penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct is the same as for a serious foul, but the referee may impose a penalty depending on his judgment of the conduct. Among other penalties possible are a warning; a standard-foul penalty, which will count as part of a three-foul sequence if applicable; a serious-foul penalty; loss of a rack, set or match; ejection from the competition possibly with forfeiture of all prizes, trophies and standings points.
Unsportsmanlike conduct is any intentional behavior that brings disrepute to the sport or which disrupts or changes the game to the extent that it cannot be played fairly. It includes
(a) distracting the opponent;
(b) changing the position of the balls in play other than by a shot;
(c) playing a shot by intentionally miscuing;
(d) continuing to play after a foul has been called or play has been suspended;
(e) practicing during a match;
(f) marking the table;
(g) delay of the game; and
(h) using equipment inappropriately.

Tom, (a) distracting the opponent;
what ? is this a joke.
Rod.

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
androd said:
Tom, (a) distracting the opponent;
what ? is this a joke.
Rod.

Not a joke Rod. Sharking is a word that doesn't come up very often in any rules that I recall reading.

But, you and I know 'sharking' is a form of 'distracting' your opponent.

jay helfert

Verified Member
It's a normal tournament rule you CANNOT practice during a match. Been that way for years. Even if your opponent takes a bathroom break between games, you can't get on the table and hit balls. I've stopped many players from doing just that.

Of course with the esteemed BCA rules committee that could all change at a moments notice. They may decide you MUST practice during a match for all I know. These are the geniuses that decided you CAN'T win on the break in Eight Ball (it might happen once in fifty or a hundred breaks) but you CAN still win on the break in 9-Ball (it happens all the time). Makes you wonder if these guys even play pool.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
jay helfert said:
These are the geniuses that decided you CAN'T win on the break in Eight Ball (it might happen once in fifty or a hundred breaks) but you CAN still win on the break in 9-Ball (it happens all the time). Makes you wonder if these guys even play pool.
I've always disagreed with you on that, Jay. I don't believe that ANY pool game should be won on the break shot; 8-ball, 9-ball, 10-ball, or whatever. It's not a skill shot. I'm assuming that they keep that rule in 9 and 10-ball so as to wow the TV fans. You know-- the same type of viewers who think that Oprah is great.

Doc

One pocket Smitty

Verified Member
From
Chandler, Tx.
Skin said:
Suppose you are left with a shot you'd like to take a swing at first before you shoot it. There is an open table next to you. What happenes if you set a couple of balls up over there and take a whack before you begin your inning?

Legal or not?

There is no "official" rule on it as far as I can find and it seems to me that nobody would think about it when making a game.

Skin
My answer to this is even if there is not a rule for this, which I think practicing durning a game would be cause for DQ. My question is this, would you want someone else do that to you. If you are honestwith yourself I think you answered your question.---Smitty

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
I will give my opinion, for what it's worth. And I'm talking about gambling, as I usually am. I don't give a damn what you do before you shoot your shot. Stand on your head, spin around, and put your feet back on the ground. Do anything you like on any table that you like. Just get to our table and shoot your shot when it's your turn.

Anyone who does something like this isn't likely to win anyway. I could not possibly care much less. Just get to our table and shoot when it's your shot. Practicing a shot on a nearby table will not make you hit it better on our table. Practice away, then come over and pay.