Practice

SE10player

What is the best way to practice one pocket? I have just started playing one pocket and love it but its hard to find people to play in my little neck of the woods.

SE10player

I have the Pro Skills Book #6 for one pocket and use it alot but was wondering if any had things they love to do for practice.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
SE10player said:
I have the Pro Skills Book #6 for one pocket and use it alot but was wondering if any had things they love to do for practice.
So much of the game involves getting off to a good start -- both the break and "getting out of the break" that practicing your break and the first half a dozen shots afterwards is always good.

Also, as you browse through the shot diagrams here on OnePocket.org you will see a lot of standard and now and then more unusual One Pocket shots -- they are all worth practicing a bit to get the feel of them -- to add them to your "toolbox" for when they will inevitably come up.

Knocking balls away from you opponent's pocket is also good practice. You can do this by playing yourself a little "one ball One Pocket". Try to control both your shots to your pocket, and your take outs, so that your take outs do not become sell outs :D

Pocket speed banks are something you can practice for hours at a time -- and do you know where the kisses are, and how to avoid them?

Keep us posted....

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
NH Steve said:
So much of the game involves getting off to a good start -- both the break and "getting out of the break" that practicing your break and the first half a dozen shots afterwards is always good.

Also, as you browse through the shot diagrams here on OnePocket.org you will see a lot of standard and now and then more unusual One Pocket shots -- they are all worth practicing a bit to get the feel of them -- to add them to your "toolbox" for when they will inevitably come up.

Knocking balls away from you opponent's pocket is also good practice. You can do this by playing yourself a little "one ball One Pocket". Try to control both your shots to your pocket, and your take outs, so that your take outs do not become sell outs :D

Pocket speed banks are something you can practice for hours at a time -- and do you know where the kisses are, and how to avoid them?

Keep us posted....

Practice what you cant do. And practice what you need to learn. The more you practice the more you will like the GAme.

Practice is striving for Exelence.

MGM Tony

Find a local one pocket player who's game you respect and ask him for help. Most people will happily share their expertise and knowledge. That's what I did. We were playing and I just started asking him about what shot to hit here or how should I play this and it grows from there. It can be fun too. I like to play with these guys, have them coach me when I ask, not every shot. That way, you can see what they say about the shot that you took and they can tell you why it's a good shot or what may have been better.

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
banks

banks

Practice your banks is the thing to do.Most importantly when you bank slow roll half of your shots so you see the different angles coming off the rail.Practice not making them but pocket-speed which means leaving them short in front of your hole.Slam some but slow roll more.That is the one main thing that will get you ready.Playing the game itself will take its course depending on who you match up with.Its too deep a game to describe on a computer.Just bank and get ready to strike like a cobra.HAHAHA,cheers,James

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
MGM Tony said:
Find a local one pocket player who's game you respect and ask him for help. Most people will happily share their expertise and knowledge. That's what I did. We were playing and I just started asking him about what shot to hit here or how should I play this and it grows from there. It can be fun too. I like to play with these guys, have them coach me when I ask, not every shot. That way, you can see what they say about the shot that you took and they can tell you why it's a good shot or what may have been better.

This is very good advice. I believe almost everyone here would be glad to help anyone wanting to learn. I know I always will.:)
Rod.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Practise the stroke. It is the stroke from which the game is built. One Pocket is not a banger's game. Good players have a really good stroke. I would say that a good stroke is the ability to make the cue ball do anything you want it to do without hitting it hard or driving it and to do it accurately. I'm reminded of seeing Troy Jones (player from Muncie, IN who beat Earl this year at DCC) hit shots so sweet. He would have the cue ball below the last diamond and shoot up table to the object ball above the first diamond and bank it back at lag speed but still have stop english on the cue ball. It takes a good stroke to do this.

I'll take it a step farther and say to practice speed, speed, speed. Practice the ability to control the direction and distance of the object ball while controlling the direction and distance of the cue ball. So many one pocket shots require the precise control of speed. This probably sounds obvioous or elimentary but I really believe in it.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
androd said:
This is very good advice. I believe almost everyone here would be glad to help anyone wanting to learn. I know I always will.:)
Rod.
You're on, Rod. Next time we're at the same tournament together, you gotta play me some cheap practice.

SE10player

Finding a local player that I respect is the problem. I have just started playing one pocket and I play even with all the guys that come in the pool hall. I do have several great players about 2 1/2 hours away in Tuscaloosa but its hard for me to make that trip with work and kids. I must say though I love the game and have spent hours on here reading some of the older posts were everyone talks about which shot to shoot. Thanks to everyone for sharing all the great info and if your ever in Anniston Alabama drop me a line an the pool is on me.

MGM Tony

SE10player said:
Finding a local player that I respect is the problem. I have just started playing one pocket and I play even with all the guys that come in the pool hall. I do have several great players about 2 1/2 hours away in Tuscaloosa but its hard for me to make that trip with work and kids. I must say though I love the game and have spent hours on here reading some of the older posts were everyone talks about which shot to shoot. Thanks to everyone for sharing all the great info and if your ever in Anniston Alabama drop me a line an the pool is on me.

Something else I like to do is after a game or a day at the pool hall, I'll make a mental bank of shots that I want to hit again or note a certain situation and maybe something different that I wanted to try so that when I am practicing solo I can hit it again and see if my shot selections are a good idea. One of my favorite practice shots are the thin cut banks. I like to hit different shots, even if I am just messing around and see what they do. You learn a lot from that I think. Good luck and if you're ever in Detroit hit me up, pools on me.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
usblues said:
Practice your banks is the thing to do.Most importantly when you bank slow roll half of your shots so you see the different angles coming off the rail.Practice not making them but pocket-speed which means leaving them short in front of your hole.Slam some but slow roll more.That is the one main thing that will get you ready.Playing the game itself will take its course depending on who you match up with.Its too deep a game to describe on a computer.Just bank and get ready to strike like a cobra.HAHAHA,cheers,James

Dont practice banking a ball short off your pocket. Allways practice shooting it bast the pocket.

Because if you shoot iy short and it goes short you will never mmake the ball.

Because it wont reaxch the pocket. Always shot the shot long not short. And always shoot too leave the ball on the rail by youre pocket.

Not off the rail because youre opponent has more opptions when you leave the ball off the rail.

And its easier for him not too make a mistake.

Calk it up.

MGM Tony

I agree with Artie. Always shoot to make the ball. The times I send balls towards my pocket without the intention of making them are when I am playing an aggressive safety, pushing balls towards my pocket and not leaving my opponent a shot. Other than that I always shoot to make the ball. I'm not saying warp speed banks 100% of the time, but sometimes, you have to hit one harder than you want so you can leave yourself for your next shot.

Whoever said pocket speed banks are good practice was right. Those are something that you can practice for hours by yourself.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
MGM Tony said:
I agree with Artie. Always shoot to make the ball. The times I send balls towards my pocket without the intention of making them are when I am playing an aggressive safety, pushing balls towards my pocket and not leaving my opponent a shot. Other than that I always shoot to make the ball. I'm not saying warp speed banks 100% of the time, but sometimes, you have to hit one harder than you want so you can leave yourself for your next shot.

Whoever said pocket speed banks are good practice was right. Those are something that you can practice for hours by yourself.

If you play a lot off one pocket you will get a lot off practice at laging balls.

Especialy at the end game. Laging balls is got a lot too do with playing one pocket.

On more shots than just banking a ball to youre pocket.
Its laging up to a ball and behid balls. And laging the ball accross the table and the cue ball too the rail.

You learn the importance of laging balls. Jut a little difference can be letting youre opponent out of the trap.

Or having him locket up. Its so crucole what just a little bit off difference the cue ball or object ball can make.

And if you shot shots like that 4 and 5 times a game. Do you realize howe much difference that little bit can mean in a game.

Lots off ganes are lost by just that little bit off diference. But most players done even look at it. And just play generale direction. Instead off figureing it out.

Thats what I dio when I go into my gear and play the game the way its su[pose too be played.

But now days I cant control the cue ball or the object ball like that. But when I could do that nobody would have won.

Nobody can beat a person that knowes and does what he is going too do on every shot.

A person guissing and playing generale direction. Can never over come that. It does not matter howe good he shoots or bamks.

He cannot over come a player playing correct one pocket. Without mistakes.

Mistakes is what makes us loose. Its not because we miss shots. That too will add too loosing.

But the killer is mistakes. And you seen it pefecte with Scott and Alex.

Next time they play it could be the other way around. Hopkines and Varner are two off the best players that play that way.

And Hopkines playing in his prime. I would have bet on him. Over the players today. Like Scitt Cliff Alex and even Eferine.

Hopkines playes a solid game off one pocket. And he playes the game more correct. Then these other players.

But like I have said. ONe pocket is a game were you must control the Cue ball and the objectball.

And if you can do that then you will be a great player. THat is a must playing onepocket. Controling the Cue ball and the object ball.

And remember if you bank or shoot a shot too easy . You can never make the ball. Because it will not reach the pocket.