Putnam vs. Deuel

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Putnam has run 5 balls here, but he left himself hooked on the 15 ball (in the first picture the score hasn't yet shown his 6th ball score).

What did he do? What would YOU do? BTW, I don't know why these pictures come out fuzzy... ~Doc

Putnam 1.jpg

Putnam 2.jpg

senor

Verified Member
I would try to pocket the 7 ball (ball on spot) and I assume Putnam would do the same.

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
Putnam has run 5 balls here, but he left himself hooked on the 15 ball (in the first picture the score hasn't yet shown his 6th ball score).

What did he do? What would YOU do? BTW, I don't know why these pictures come out fuzzy... ~Doc

View attachment 10627

View attachment 10628

Doc, id take an intentional, id roll the cb to the bottom rail about 1 1/2 diamonds from putnams pocket and play with a 5 to 1 lead from there. keith

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Doc, id take an intentional, id roll the cb to the bottom rail about 1 1/2 diamonds from putnams pocket and play with a 5 to 1 lead from there. keith

Keith, Don't you think you can leave the cue ball in that same location by thinning off the ten ball? This may help to tie up the ten and seven or get the ten in a more advantageous position for your cause and save that sixth ball as well. If your touch is good you could even just about freeze the cue ball on the fifteen but it is not necessary to be that percise.

The other option of shooting Deuel's ball in and drawing the cue ball isn't so bad either but there is a risk of giving up a decent bank if the touch isn't there.

Tom

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Keith, Don't you think you can leave the cue ball in that same location by thinning off the ten ball?

Tom

It's not necessary to give Corey the 11 or take an intentional here...

I would either shoot Tom's thin-hit-safety, if it's laying so that it's possible to slice it thin enough...or I would choose a shot option that hasn't been noticed/mentioned yet --->

I will kick softly off of the foot rail, into the ball that's by my pocket, just hard enough to send it up against my long rail - an elegant safety that leaves Corey nothing.

- Ghost

PS, You do have to be a fairly accurate kicker to shoot this safety...and hey Dustin and Griffin..when giving you guys lessons/instruction recently, how strongly did I stress the importance of practicing kicks religiously until you become a proficient kicker - this situation is just one of the countless times when you would put those kicking skills to good use.

Last edited:

tylerdurden

Verified Member
I would shoot the ten into the 14-3 and roll to about the same spot tom/Keith are talking about.

I have kinda paralyzed myself many times by thinking too much, like "I can't open those up" but in reality if a world class player gets a shot here, he's gonna prob get those tied up balls anyway, so I like shooting the shot I actually like in terms of moving balls, instead of letting the score get me into nit/bunt mode and all the sudden he's feeling good, shoots at his hole, makes it.

I think the best thing you can do in this spot, and this is a situation that comes up all the time so it's important, is to put a ball on you side rail and try to block him from seeing it. This position allows you to move the balls up table so effectively. So the 15 ball would be blocking him from seeing the 3 on my side rail would be the ideal execution of this shot.

Last edited:

Skin

Verified Member
Standard 1p, play-the-score strategy being ahead 6-1 is to take balls out of play / ship balls up table. So, I am going to shoot the 7 (really the only ball in play for him besides the 11 by his hole which is blocking the 10 and all banks) into my long rail just below the corner pocket and one-rail the cb down to the foot rail ~1 to 1 1/2 diamonds from Putnam's hole.

Deuel will have some options including kicking at the 15. So, my shot not may turn out to be all that great and I might have been better off shooting the 7 at the hole like senor suggested. But for now I'm going to stick with standard strategy.

Skin

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Well, I'm impressed that everyone jumped right into the heart of various solutions, so I won't drag out waiting for Putnam's choice. I thought for sure someone would guess that Putnam either jumped the CB or masse'd/swerved it to pocket the 15. Actually Miller did, but he kept it on the QT via PM; so he gets the cookie.

Anyway that's what Putnam did! Corey had just run the first rack on him, and Sean was on semi tilt, so he probably wanted to get out here. Plus he was player representative at the time for a jump cue company. [Note: this was from 2004 when jump cues were allowed. Now our rules, plus the DCC's prohibit jump cues] He missed the shot, and left it thusly:

View attachment 10636

View attachment 10637

Amazingly, Corey ran 7 and out for the win, actually mistakenly running every remaining ball, thinking he needed all of them!

I posted this layout not just because it was an interesting (if ill advised) use of a jump shot, but to pose the question: What should have Sean shot in this case; and what would you do? But everyone got right into it anyway.;)

I'll post the two original layouts again for the ease of additional discussion:

Putnam 1.jpg

Putnam 2.jpg

So far I like thinning the 10 and rolling the CB over near the first short rail diamond by the 15. But there are other strong suggestions...:cool:

~Doc

bigshot

I don't think that the jump is a bad shot, I use it occasionally, but more often to escape. I think I like ghost's soft kick the best, though. BTW, your pics aren't fuzzy, they're interlaced. Its just something that's done in some video formats to make a lower framerate look smoother ;)

Skin

Verified Member
Putnam didn't play the score and he lost lightning quick.

Skin

bernie p

Verified Member
Anyway that's what Putnam did! Corey had just run the first rack on him, and Sean was on semi tilt, so he probably wanted to get out here. Plus he was player representative at the time for a jump cue company. [Note: this was from 2004 when jump cues were allowed. Now our rules, plus the DCC's prohibit jump cues] He missed the shot, and left it thusly:

Doc,

With a 6-1 lead (to tie up the match)....and several escapes from this position.....I would have to be on "maximum tilt" to shoot a jump shot from there. :eek::eek:

As Freddie would say..."you would have to put a gun to my head....."

Bernie.

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
Keith, Don't you think you can leave the cue ball in that same location by thinning off the ten ball? This may help to tie up the ten and seven or get the ten in a more advantageous position for your cause and save that sixth ball as well. If your touch is good you could even just about freeze the cue ball on the fifteen but it is not necessary to be that percise.

The other option of shooting Deuel's ball in and drawing the cue ball isn't so bad either but there is a risk of giving up a decent bank if the touch isn't there.

Tom

tom i certainly considered coming off the 10 ball, it was my 1st thought. and ghost i thought about the kick to the 15 ball but i didn't like that shot because you don't have complete control as the the cb final position. corey shoots way to good for me to take any chances, i want the cb exactly where i said and with the score 6-1 again i was willing to give up 1 ball to assure my position.
what really gets me is the shot that putnam took!!! its amazing how many times we see top players disregard the score and play the wrong shot. maybe he was confused and thought he was behind 6-1, keith

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
tom i certainly considered coming off the 10 ball, it was my 1st thought. and ghost i thought about the kick to the 15 ball but i didn't like that shot because you don't have complete control as the the cb final position. corey shoots way to good for me to take any chances, i want the cb exactly where i said and with the score 6-1 again i was willing to give up 1 ball to assure my position.
what really gets me is the shot that putnam took!!! its amazing how many times we see top players disregard the score and play the wrong shot. maybe he was confused and thought he was behind 6-1, keith
Yeah, I was real surprised too, although he just looked like he was going to shoot that shot as soon as he saw that he was hooked. Also, at the time he was generally considered the premier jump shot shooter, so that may have played into it.

The shot would have been more tempting if the 15 were closer to the hole. But then the combo would have been the better shot. BTW, he missed pocketing the ball by about a third of a diamond.:rolleyes:

~Doc