Ray vs. Tom #1.

rich htx

Verified Member
From
Houston TX
Also i like to nudge that first of two stripes near the 8, the first stripe should go toward to pocket and you can wedge the cb on the 4 and 5 and should be covered by the 8 ball

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
I don't like anything that involves crossing the 15 ball over to my side. Imo it's a shot that is all risk and no reward. The other shot I wouldn't shoot is the 10 ball straight in cause it doesn't gain much either. After making the 10 ball how do you defend yourself from the 1 ball bank or being stuck on the wrong side of the stack after his inning?
Ky,
What would Tom do if the 15 was moved to the middle of the foot rail, and the cb was stuck on the 4 ball? Seems a very simple shot to accomplish without any significant risk… it’s not a game changer by any stretch, but it moves a troublesome ball out of his zone and into a neutral position, protects the 10, and doesn’t leave Tom anything that I can see? Where would Tom’s move be from there, assuming the shot was successful?

unoperro

Verified Member
Protect the 10 because it is on your side and scoreable , or protect against the 10 being a liability???

Kybanks

Verified Member
Ky,
What would Tom do if the 15 was moved to the middle of the foot rail, and the cb was stuck on the 4 ball? Seems a very simple shot to accomplish without any significant risk… it’s not a game changer by any stretch, but it moves a troublesome ball out of his zone and into a neutral position, protects the 10, and doesn’t leave Tom anything that I can see? Where would Tom’s move be from there, assuming the shot was successful?

I could be wrong but crossing the 15 ball at all looks like a dead kiss. Even if the kiss is missed the execution of your shot looks impossible to me. To answer your question, I would cross the 1 ball to my hole and leave the cb around the pocket.

OldSchool

Verified Member
but I’d prefer to shoot that 10 drain it and bank 9

Always good to read the Ghost's opening post. An excerpt from it:

"Also, some info re. the choice of shooting the 10ball in: the 9ball sitting under the stack cannot be banked cross-corner into Ray's pocket, but it does go straight into Tom's pocket"

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
I could be wrong but crossing the 15 ball at all looks like a dead kiss. Even if the kiss is missed the execution of your shot looks impossible to me. To answer your question, I would cross the 1 ball to my hole and leave the cb around the pocket.
Ok. Thank you for your thoughts… to you it looks impossible, to me it looks elementary… a tip of hrhe… 15 crossed to the middle of the foot rail, cb sticks on the 4 ball…no kiss no problem… but you didn’t answer the question, what do you think Tom, ( or you ) would do from there to better his position, assuming I get lucky and execute it as described?

Kybanks

Verified Member
Ok. Thank you for your thoughts… to you it looks impossible, to me it looks elementary… a tip of hrhe… 15 crossed to the middle of the foot rail, cb sticks on the 4 ball…no kiss no problem… but you didn’t answer the question, what do you think Tom, ( or you ) would do from there to better his position, assuming I get lucky and execute it as described?

Jeff, if the ball 15 ball got close enough to the end rail, I believe the 3 rail kick to the 13-8 cluster is available. You must be accustomed to sewing knats asses together cause that's a very small target you are aiming at from 10 ft away.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Jeff,
I think you have capture the crux of this wwyd! In that we do not have a clear shot at our hole, and not a clear shot to position a ball in front of our hole and protect it, so the other choice is to remove the threatening 15 ball out of there and protect it and the 10 ball.
thanks for your input!
Whitey

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Well, crabbcat, Michael, and Bill liked the same shot that Ray liked - I liked it too - what's not to like = easy to execute, open up balls to your hole, and snooker your opponent (y)...

Ray hit it correctly, opened up a coupla balls for his pocket, and got his cueball lodged in there nicely against the 8ball so that Tom could not see the 11ball or the 10ball.....here's how it turned out >>>

Reactions: lll

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Well, crabbcat, Michael, and Bill liked the same shot that Ray liked - I liked it too - what's not to like = easy to execute, open up balls to your hole, and snooker your opponent...

Ray hit it correctly, opened up a coupla balls for his pocket, and got his cueball lodged in there nicely against the 8ball so that Tom could not see the 11ball or the 10ball.....here's how it turned out >>>
I liked the shot too but I was worried that I would knock something out on my opponent's side. Ray hit it good.

Thanks for the wwyd!

Reactions: lll

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Jeff,
I think you have capture the crux of this wwyd! In that we do not have a clear shot at our hole, and not a clear shot to position a ball in front of our hole and protect it, so the other choice is to remove the threatening 15 ball out of there and protect it and the 10 ball.
thanks for your input!
Whitey
Thanks whitey, but apparently the shot was simplicity itself…. Certainly can’t argue with that result!
Searching the stack is always a good idea, imo, ya never know when ya might find that magic movement
that turns the game around! Plus…. It’s fun looking!
Thanks Ghostie, was another very interesting wwyd…
It’s incredible to me how you can see these unique opportunities with multiple shot options in time to take pictures!
you are 1 of a kind ghost, truly amazing how you put up one after another and they are always thought provoking…. 👏👏👏

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Thanks whitey, but apparently the shot was simplicity itself…. Certainly can’t argue with that result!
Searching the stack is always a good idea, imo, ya never know when ya might find that magic movement
that turns the game around! Plus…. It’s fun looking!
It’s incredible to me how you can see these unique opportunities with multiple shot options in time to take pictures!
you are 1 of a kind ghost, truly amazing how you put up one after another and they are always thought provoking…. 👏
👏👏
What he said!!

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
you are 1 of a kind ghost, truly amazing how you put up one after another and they are always thought provoking…. 👏👏👏

Hey brother Jeff, thanks for sayin.....coupla things re. what you said ^...

Thing is, the 6 or so guys whose shots I take pics of, are all poolroom guys that I've known for 10-40 yrs., so they don't mind me interrupting their game for a minute.....also, I'll only interrupt guys when they're playing for $10-$30 a game - more $$$ than that, then I won't/don't feel like I should interrupt them.....and I spot their shot situations cuz it's almost always when I'm playing on the table next to them....so as long as I'm playing cheap and don't mind losing my concentration a little, while I'm playing, I'll keep an eye on their table for a good wwyd situation...

...sometimes they bust my balls and tell me to go and buy them a soda or a water for interrupting them, lol....but then I tell them that their shots are famous, and seen by thousands of players ;).....also, so as not to disrespect them, I usually only save the shots where they had hit the shot well. (y)

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Hey brother Jeff, thanks for sayin.....coupla things re. what you said ^...

Thing is, the 6 or so guys whose shots I take pics of, are all poolroom guys that I've known for 10-40 yrs., so they don't mind me interrupting their game for a minute.....also, I'll only interrupt guys when they're playing for $10-$30 a game - more $$$ than that, then I won't/don't feel like I should interrupt them.....and I spot their shot situations cuz it's almost always when I'm playing on the table next to them....so as long as I'm playing cheap and don't mind losing my concentration a little, while I'm playing, I'll keep an eye on their table for a good wwyd situation...

...sometimes they bust my balls and tell me to go and buy them a soda or a water for interrupting them, lol....but then I tell them that their shots are famous, and seen by thousands of players ;).....also, so as not to disrespect them, I usually only save the shots where they had hit the shot well. (y)
👍