Re: 3-Foul loss of game ruling. Anyone know how long ago the current iteration has been around?

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Bcapl / CSI 2022 official rules.

1-22 Successive Fouls
This rule applies to 9-Ball, 10-Ball, 14.1 Continuous and One Pocket.

1. You always begin a game with a successive foul count of zero. When you commit a foul, your successive foul count is one (referred to as “on one foul”) and you incur the normal penalty for the foul. OFFICIAL RULES OF CUESPORTS INTERNATIONAL 32

2. When you are on one foul, if your next shot is legal, your successive foul count resets to zero. If you fail to make a legal shot, your successive foul count is two (referred to as “on two fouls”.) You also incur the normal penalty for the second foul.

3. When you are on two fouls, if your next shot is legal, your successive foul count resets to zero. If you fail to make a legal shot, your successive foul count is three and you incur the penalty indicated by specific game rules. After the penalty, your successive foul count resets to zero.

4. When your opponent is on two fouls: before your opponent shoots, you or a referee must warn them that they are on two fouls, and they must acknowledge the warning. If the warning is not issued and they foul on their next shot:
a. it is not considered a third successive foul;
b. they incur the normal penalty for a foul, but not the penalty for three successive fouls;
c. their foul count remains at two.

Note: bcapl / csi has One Pocket as one of their games that they govern over, and this rule applies.
-------------------------------------------------------

BCA has gone strickly WPA and have dropped almost all American games, nearly 30 specific american games have been dropped, including One Pocket and Rotation. They have even listed Black Eight Ball as a game they govern over, which is strictly an European 8-ball game that does not allow a ball frozen to the cue ball to be stroked into.

BCA - WPA rule: as I have stated many times, the WPA rules are wrote for their referees, and not for their players comprehension.
Only their authors' of the rule, and their referees, or players that play in their events know for sure that if you improperly warn the shooter directly after they committed their 2nd foul vs. as they approach the table, is then a 3rd foul committed - remains on 2 fouls.

6.14 Three Consecutive Fouls

If a player fouls three times without making an intervening legal shot, it is a serious foul. In
games scored by the rack, such as nine ball, the fouls must be in a single rack. Some games
such as eight ball do not include this rule.
The referee must warn a shooter who is on two fouls when he comes to the table that he is on
two fouls. Otherwise a possible third foul will be considered to be only the second.

WPA - guidance to their referees;
When a game has a three-foul rule, the referee should note to the players any second foul at the time that it occurs and also when the player who is on two fouls returns to the table. The first warning is not required by the rules but is meant to prevent later misunderstandings. If there is a scoreboard on which the foul count is visible to the players, it satisfies the warning requirement.

This rule does not specifically state a resulting rule for a warning given immediately after the player has committed their 2nd foul.

So with these writings I have to back track that an improperly timed warning would cancel out a third foul. We need more input from someone that actually plays by WPA rules to know what their rule actually means.
Whitey

Last edited:

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Thanks. Yes that is exactly how it reads. Most believe you still must properly warn them next shot before the game losing 3rd (4th, 5th whatever reality is vs the proper warning) consecutive foul is stroked, even though that additional stipulation is not written for when someone was not properly warned before their 3rd consecutive foul.
It just states they are still on 2 fouls.

My friend disputes that ruling (which is the same everywhere I have looked) from his ages of experience and his knowledge of the rules, so my thread is to find out when that was implemented by the BCA rules, which are not found on their actual site by me.

Meanwhile, I will be explaining the BCA has now joined the WPL, and show him the WPL link above. Maybe that will persuade him to accept it. Either way, I am content to play however we agree to (currently that means his way because I am flexible, while he is adamant).

We like to play that if you rack your own and make a ball you can continue shooting without a re-rack (old-school). I like that mostly because the breaker cannot feel like someone screwed up the rack on him or feel like he needs to be the guy/girl to tell the racker it needs re-racked when it is not a good rack upon inspection. That can become irksome to always be having to inspect and have to speak up about it to the racker. I would rather rack my own and accept if my rack acts strange because it was not perfect.
I have not often been on a table that racks perfectly very easily* if at all, and Michael's has good tables here in Cinci. I know thee reason behind the new rule is because people can rack them in their favor to avoid scratching but with lines drawn down the spotting string and trusting my opponents, I am willing to take that risk with only a casual glance at the centering. If I was gambling I would be looking pretty closely before they break, as is my right and obligation.

*Other than new cloth, which has issues of its own.
Whatever happened to simply saying: "I think you're wrong about that rule but we can play any way you like"? 😉🤑😲🤣

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
DCC 3 foul rule;
This is listed in their OP game rules.

3-Foul Rule
If a player commits 3 successive fouls in one game, it is loss of game. The opponent must notify the shooter that they are “on 2” fouls, immediately before the shooter’s next inning.

Well that gives us 4 different writings of the 3 foul rule.
Whitey

sheldon

Verified Member
From
Springfield Oregon
I prefer to notify the player on 2 as their inning starts, not before.
For me, it feels kind of tacky to announce it before that.
Similar to shouting FOUL! before the offending player has a chance to acknowledge it.