Replacement Pockets

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
So when I got my diamond, the pockets already were not in great shape. If I would have thought about it at the time I should have had the best 2 corner pockets put on the foot rail side, but I digress.

The leather strands keep snapping so I have been putting in those plastic tie straps to try and mend the holes as they come. Now one pocket is pretty much almost all the way detached, can't shoot balls in that hole until it's fixed.

In the long run I'll plan to get new pockets or at the very least swap the 2 decent ones for the 2 worn ones whenever I get new cloth on the table.

In the interim what can I do to be able to still play on it? I don't want to switch sides because camera is at the other end. I thought about finding something I could staple in?

Any ideas appreciated!

Ben I know you told me what you did but I can't recall what it was you DIYd.

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
It is hard to say if you would need t oremoe to replace pocket it has two screws on the bottom that hold it ot the rail if yo ucan see those I believe you could easily replace your self with a lon drill bit extension

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
Zip tie an onion/orange/potato/laundry bag to the pocket.

You can use a sock or all kinds of stuff if you look around and think about it.

Hell, cut the pocket in half and attach pvc pipe and make a ball ramp like they do with snooker tables.

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
pack a few bread bags in there (pretty long)....works

--------

buddy of mine had an old 10' ae schmidt he picked up from an auction (he's an auctioneer) in his dank basement. no pockets, balls fell into milk crates. support post for floor above basement was on the top right long rail, about 3' away -- there was a bumper pool stick you could use but the caveat was you had to play the rest of the game with it......:)

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Cincy, Miller this would work for your buddy, I also have Schmidt rails and pockets
On my table it uses leather drop pockets. I've made my own for years. If you cut straight slits, it then opens up into a diamond pattern as Catkins picture of the Black Diamond plastic pocket. I use waxed twine to hang my pockets, and then are also tacked into the wood.
If you posted a picture of your pocket I would think that would be helpful in us guys helping you. I do not know anything about diamond table pockets, so I am unable to offer up much of a suggestion.
I believe there are also cloth sock drop pockets in a diamond pattern, just a alternative to a replacement of a leather drop pockets. It may be easily attached, as a hand made leather pocket should be easy to attach.
Shoot us a picture.
Whitey

Last edited:

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
This is what I’ve always thought should be an option on a table for one pocket. Especially for a company like Diamond.

Buy a couple of these or make a couple out of pvc like I suggested.

View attachment 443048

That is cool. maybe someday when I have more time/motivation to do it, that would be neat especially for OP so you can keep track of your count more easily (it's viewable).

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Cincy, Miller this would work for your buddy, I also have Schmidt rails and pockets
On my table it uses leather drop pockets. I've made my own for years. If you cut straight slits, it then opens up into a diamond pattern as Catkins picture of the Black Diamond plastic pocket. I use waxed twine to hang my pockets, and then are also tacked into the wood.
If you posted a picture of your pocket I would think that would be helpful in us guys helping you. I do not know anything about diamond table pockets, so I am unable to offer up much of a suggestion.
I believe there are also cloth sock drop pockets in a diamond pattern, just a alternative to a replacement of a leather drop pockets. It may be easily attached, as a hand made leather pocket should be easy to attach.
Shoot us a picture.
Whitey
Here you go!

OVERHEAD 1

1713794644854.jpeg

OVERHEAD 2

1713794739570.jpeg

UNDERNEATH

1713794705941.jpeg

TOP ANGLE

1713794725036.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: lll

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
cincy
how hard do you hit the balls ??!!!!!!!
how did ot get like that !!!!!
OMG
if its a common thing with time and use
i just learned something

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
cincy
how hard do you hit the balls ??!!!!!!!
how did ot get like that !!!!!
OMG
if its a common thing with time and use
i just learned something
I am guessing its common I don't know. But the other pocket used for one hole is almost as bad. The other 2 corners look to be decent shape.

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
Looks like they switched from leather to ballistic nylon for pockets woch I am sure are better. Leather just wears over time

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Looks like they switched from leather to ballistic nylon for pockets woch I am sure are better. Leather just wears over time
Yea I texted the table mechanic who set mine up and told him when I have him come out again for cloth replacement, I am going to switch to ballistic nylon. At least for the 2 on the foot rail. I know Ben (Hardmix) uses those and I think he has been happy.

I may just try to stuff some towel in there for now until I have time to DIY something else.

Thanks all!

PS - still wondering if I got one of those plastic push in types that Chris linked above if those will work/fit in as a temporary solution.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Cincy, your pockets are exactly like my Brunswick Sultana 1885 - 1912. You go to the leather shop and buy a piece of leather and make them.
Use one of your existing pockets for a pattern, side pockets pattern is a little different. Cut straight slits, and when the leather is formed into the pocket shape it forms the diamond pattern. The pockets are hung by twine and tacked to the wood.

I'd use 1/4 thick leather. Do not cut the slits to close to each other plus they have to be altered from top to bottom, do not put slits side by side.
Use bailing wire around the wooden plug. There is a staple / rivet holding it into a a circle, its located half way up on your pocket.
I've done this many times, not to hard.
Whitey

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Cincy,
Another way would be to get a couple of 100 ft bundles of nylon rope. Loop a strand of rope through the holes in the top of your pocket and tie a series of knots fairly close together on down to the bottom, let it hang. Do another strand of rope beside it by knotting it to the first strand in-between the knots on the first strand.
Continue this around, and then fasten the strands to your bottom pocket plug.

I have one pocket going bad, so I might do this instead of making a leather pocket.
Whitey

Last edited: