Reyes vs. Gentile 2011 US Open

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
Fellow one pocketeers: as you well know, the internet is littered with lots of 1p vids. However, alot of them are just so-so. Personally, when I watch a match, I look for 3 things - quality, playing and commentary. So, it takes a good bit for me to acquire a keeper. What am I yammering about?

For a good time, point your browsers to the 2011 US Open finals: Reyes vs. Gentile. While the match is strategic and interesting (I like Gentile's game), the commentary is really interesting: Corey Deuel, Scott Frost and Billy. You get a really nice glimpse inside Corey and Scott's processes, a nice critique of Reyes' end game, and lots of laughs. Also of interest is a match before that between Scott and Alex with Artie and Larry Schwartz commentating. Artie is really quick to size up a lay of balls and you can see how he might of squeeze the shit out of someone.

I have literally hundreds of pool matches on DVD and I found this one to be quite enjoyable.

Cary

Verified Member
From
Bertram, Texas
Fellow one pocketeers: as you well know, the internet is littered with lots of 1p vids. However, alot of them are just so-so. Personally, when I watch a match, I look for 3 things - quality, playing and commentary. So, it takes a good bit for me to acquire a keeper. What am I yammering about?

For a good time, point your browsers to the 2011 US Open finals: Reyes vs. Gentile. While the match is strategic and interesting (I like Gentile's game), the commentary is really interesting: Corey Deuel, Scott Frost and Billy. You get a really nice glimpse inside Corey and Scott's processes, a nice critique of Reyes' end game, and lots of laughs. Also of interest is a match before that between Scott and Alex with Artie and Larry Schwartz commentating. Artie is really quick to size up a lay of balls and you can see how he might of squeeze the shit out of someone.

I have literally hundreds of pool matches on DVD and I found this one to be quite enjoyable.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzac3Qga65o[/ame]

Cary

Verified Member
From
Bertram, Texas
I liked this one also.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgi5Fo3wGo4[/ame]

You can see my wife and I sitting behind Chris (well, kinda).

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan

The Frost/Pagulayan match with Artie & Larry co-commentating is one of the best commentated matches I've ever heard. There is no overbearing, ego-centric, non-stop babbling over the player's shots. Just two guys who know the game and respect each other.

Dennis

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA

Artie and I played twice in recent years. He won the first one in Galveston in a race to 7 that took 12 1/2 hours and I won the 2nd at DCC in a race to 7 that took 14 hours.

Squeeze does not describe Artie's defensive game enough. You are either froze to a ball, the rail or both.

His diminished ball pocketing skills and banking is the only reason I had a chance. I wish I could have watched him play in his heyday when he could run balls to go along with his moving skills.

No wonder the road players stayed away.:D