Rule 11

JoeyA

Verified Member
From
Metairie, LA
11. Keeping track of which pocket is whose
11.1 It is each player’s responsibility to keep track of which pocket is theirs; opponents are under no obligation – other than good sportsmanship -- to correct such an error prior to an opponent’s shot. A ball legally pocketed in the wrong pocket counts for the player who legitimately has that pocket, regardless of who shot the ball. However, a ball shot into the wrong pocket does not entitle the shooter to continue their inning, unless on the same stroke they legitimately score into their own pocket as well.

Occasionally, a player forgets which pocket they are shooting at. It happens to young and old. If it hasn't happened to you, you just haven't played enough one pocket or you have a photographic memory.

The rule above doesn't do enough to compliment the spirit of one pocket, in my opinion. While it is the responsibility of the shooter to know which pocket is theirs, it sometimes happens that a player will lose track of which pocket they are shooting at and I think that a modification to the above rule is in line.

In keeping with common sense, fair dinkum and a general sporting manner, I believe that what should be added to this rule is this: If the shooting player asks his opponent to identify his pocket, he should be required to tell the shooting player the truth and clearly identify which pocket is his.

This rule modification would eliminate anger, hurt feelings and stalling. When gambling at one pocket, I'm not sure if there are any rules that prevent a player from taking a LONG BREAK.

I also don't know if there are any rules that prevent the shooting player from asking the sweators which pocket is his but that shouldn't be necessary.

The shooting player should have the right to ask his opponent this question abd receive a truthful answer; although the opponent should not have to provide this information unless he is asked by the shooting player.

Just wondered what you guys thought about my idea.

JoeyA

SJDinPHX

Suspended
JoeyA said:
11. Keeping track of which pocket is whose
11.1 It is each player’s responsibility to keep track of which pocket is theirs; opponents are under no obligation – other than good sportsmanship -- to correct such an error prior to an opponent’s shot. A ball legally pocketed in the wrong pocket counts for the player who legitimately has that pocket, regardless of who shot the ball. However, a ball shot into the wrong pocket does not entitle the shooter to continue their inning, unless on the same stroke they legitimately score into their own pocket as well.

Occasionally, a player forgets which pocket they are shooting at. It happens to young and old. If it hasn't happened to you, you just haven't played enough one pocket or you have a photographic memory.

The rule above doesn't do enough to compliment the spirit of one pocket, in my opinion. While it is the responsibility of the shooter to know which pocket is theirs, it sometimes happens that a player will lose track of which pocket they are shooting at and I think that a modification to the above rule is in line.

In keeping with common sense, fair dinkum and a general sporting manner, I believe that what should be added to this rule is this: If the shooting player asks his opponent to identify his pocket, he should be required to tell the shooting player the truth and clearly identify which pocket is his.

This rule modification would eliminate anger, hurt feelings and stalling. When gambling at one pocket, I'm not sure if there are any rules that prevent a player from taking a LONG BREAK.

I also don't know if there are any rules that prevent the shooting player from asking the sweators which pocket is his but that shouldn't be necessary.

The shooting player should have the right to ask his opponent this question abd receive a truthful answer; although the opponent should not have to provide this information unless he is asked by the shooting player.

Just wondered what you guys thought about my idea.

JoeyA

Joey,

I agree with your evaluation. This has happened to me several dozen times over the years. Somtimes in my favor, sometimes my opponents.
It usually happens during the end game after multiple safties have been played. I have lost (and won) many games by somebody shooting at the wrong hole.
Obviously it is the shooters responsibilty to know which hole is his. If I am confused, I always ask. I don't remember any player ever lying to me. Usually a rail bird will volunteer the information real fast.
Its no fun to make a great shot, only to find out you made your opponents game ball. Stay alert, stay alive is my motto.
In the old days, when we used to play 2 or 3 day sessions, it is very easy to lose track and
become semi-brain dead.

Brain Dead Dick

Last edited:

Deeman

Verified Member
Dick Mc Morran said:
Joey,

I agree with your evaluation. This has happened to me several dozen times over the years. Somtimes in my favor, sometimes my opponents.
It usually happens during the end game after multiple safties have been played. I have lost (and won) many games by somebody shooting at the wrong hole.
Obviously it is the shooters responsibilty to know which hole is his. If I am confused, I always ask. I don't remember any player ever lying to me. Usually a rail bird will volunteer the information real fast.
Its no fun to make a great shot, only to find out you made your opponents game ball. Stay alert, stay alive is my motto.
In the old days, when we used to play 2 or 3 day sessions, it is very easy to lose track and
become semi-brain dead.

Brain Dead Dick

Dick,

My wife never bought the excuse that I lost track of which hole I was supposed to be focused on but, like you, all of us have just lose our focus at the table on occasion.

DeeMan

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Funny story.... I was in with RA one time, so long ago I forget who was his opponent. I think it was Jack Perkins. They each had 2 or 3 balls and got into a long safety battle. Finally Jack thought he had a shot and he went for a short rail bank and tried to lay it in his hole, only it was actually Ronnie's hole.
He hit it a hair firm and didn't sell that ball out. However after few more safties, it became quite obvious Jack was playing towards RA's hole.
Ronnie saw it too, he eased over to me and whispered "watch this" He acted like he was playing a few safties towards Jack's hole, and after he got the balls loosened up a little, he "sold out". Jack jumped up made the first ball and got perfect run out shape on the next one. Ronnie calmly told him "thank you" and pointed out the error of his ways, and continued the run out.
That was the funniest "wrong hole" game I've ever witnessed.

Dick

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
If, during a tournament, a player lies to his opponent when asked "which is my pocket?" that would be considered 'unsportsmanlike' conduct and grounds for Disquailification from the tournament.

IMO there isn't any reason to add a 'opponent must not lie' or 'opponent must tell the truth'

Players are responsible for knowing all the rules. If in doubt, do not ask your opponent, ask the TD or Ref. Good TDs have copies of the rules handy.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Dick Mc Morran said:
Funny story.... I was in with RA one time, so long ago I forget who was his opponent. I think it was Jack Perkins. They each had 2 or 3 balls and got into a long safety battle. Finally Jack thought he had a shot and he went for a short rail bank and tried to lay it in his hole, only it was actually Ronnie's hole.
He hit it a hair firm and didn't sell that ball out. However after few more safties, it became quite obvious Jack was playing towards RA's hole.
Ronnie saw it too, he eased over to me and whispered "watch this" He acted like he was playing a few safties towards Jack's hole, and after he got the balls loosened up a little, he "sold out". Jack jumped up made the first ball and got perfect run out shape on the next one. Ronnie calmly told him "thank you" and pointed out the error of his ways, and continued the run out.
That was the funniest "wrong hole" game I've ever witnessed.

Dick
Jack Perkins had a lot of gamble and he loved pool. ANd I use to playhim all the time at Crystal Palace. I spoted him a ball and the breack and I never lost. But he loved pplaying me and he would play me over anyone else. Because It was all about respect and trating him with class. And Preacher red would call me whenever he would come in the pool room. And Jack would even tell preacher red call Artie tell him I want to play him. And preacher always called me. I think preacher red played both sides and whoever won he would get something. And I always took good care of preacher red. And I am the only person he trusted in life and Jack called up Lenny Moore one day and asked him for 3 thousand dollares and Jack told Lenny that he had a sucker giving him a ball and the breack. And lenny said what is the suckers name and Jack said his name ie Artie and Lenny told Jack I wont give you a nickle to play that guy. He told Jack that gut never looses. And Jack didnt get no money. But we played a lote of games 3 and 5 hundred dollaresa game. And then Jack got parkingtos disease and he would shake to much to play. But he realy enjoyed playing me. And I enjoyed playing him. And he had a lot of nerve and gamble. And I wish him all the best. And hope he is still playing cards. Because Jack always bet on something. Weather it was pool cards or sports. He loved action and gambling.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Wrong hole

Wrong hole

SJDinPHX said:
Joey,

become semi-brain dead.

I have shot a ball into the wrong hole exactly one time. And it was a great shot if you must know. But the funniest wrong-hole shooting came against a guy we called Santa Claus. And not because he delivered gifts. We were playing even and semi-cheap as I recall. For some reason we started shooting at the other players hole. We did this for about 20 minutes.

We left each other so tough that neither of us ever made a ball. Then I noticed that I was shooting at his hole because he kept his balls in the side pocket, while I kept mine in the end of the table.

If I had been sharper I guess I would have waited for him to lay one up near my hole, but that did not occur to me. I pointed out our error and everyone had a good laugh about it. That is the only time I ever did that but it was kind of embarrassing.