S.Daulton vs. R. Martinez 2001 D.C.C.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
1 1/2 days and nobody mentioned the simplest shot:eek:. He skimmed the 4 ball very thinly and put the rock behind the 8:).

View attachment 6462
The beautiful part with the shot was positioning the cue ball behind the 8 ball, if in fact that's where it ended up. Martinez understood that he wasn't going to get much movement with the 4 ball considering how thinly he had to hit it to do what he wanted to do,with this understanding he had to position the cue ball behind the 8 ball to defend against the return bank with the 3 ball. That shot was all about the execution of it, not as difficult of a shot to execute as the shot in the other thread, but it shows what kind of a player he is , in terms of executing shots.

Dr. Bill

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
The beautiful part with the shot was positioning the cue ball behind the 8 ball, if in fact that's where it ended up. Martinez understood that he wasn't going to get much movement with the 4 ball considering how thinly he had to hit it to do what he wanted to do,with this understanding he had to position the cue ball behind the 8 ball to defend against the return bank with the 3 ball. That shot was all about the execution of it, not as difficult of a shot to execute as the shot in the other thread, but it shows what kind of a player he is , in terms of executing shots.

Dr. Bill

My rendition of the end layout is a little off. No shot at the 3 ball was left for SD. Shannon went off the edge of the deuce and put the rock uptable.

rm's leave.jpg

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
I'm with the doctor. I can't see kicking two rails into the 8 ball. When you mention loading up the cb, I assume you meant outside spin.?? Might get a little piece of it.

He often makes the angle with a little masse or extreme spin(yes, outside right on this one).

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
1 1/2 days and nobody mentioned the simplest shot:eek:. He skimmed the 4 ball very thinly and put the rock behind the 8:).

View attachment 6462

Dennis, I think I mentioned the simplest shot back in post #8 where i suggested kicking softly 2 rails between the 4 and 1 ball and putting whitey up against the back of the 8 ball. This shot was simpler than coming off the 4 ball for 2 reasons: 1st is speed. it is much easier to kick to a point than to carom off an object ball to the same point. 2nd is angle. by playing the kick directly into the bottom rail you can come in at a steeper angle and this will allow you to place the cue ball all the way behind the 8 ball, whereas the carom comes into the bottom rail on a shallower angle and this makes it harder to get "behind" the 8 ball. Looking at the picture of the shot taken, it does appear the cue ball didnt get as high as it could of and it looks like it came close to lettin the 3 ball be seen. The intentional and the loss of one ball seems easily the better shot. Keith

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Dennis, I think I mentioned the simplest shot back in post #8 where i suggested kicking softly 2 rails between the 4 and 1 ball and putting whitey up against the back of the 8 ball. This shot was simpler than coming off the 4 ball for 2 reasons: 1st is speed. it is much easier to kick to a point than to carom off an object ball to the same point.( I agree in some cases but not in all cases. We have developed a feel for the speed needed with most caroms or billiards that we have programmed into our muscle memory, therefore shooting a carom or billiard on certain shots we would then be more comfortable with the speed of the shot as we know it, as opposed to just rolling the cue ball to the same spot.) ) 2nd is angle. by playing the kick directly into the bottom rail you can come in at a steeper angle and this will allow you to place the cue ball all the way behind the 8 ball, whereas the carom comes into the bottom rail on a shallower angle and this makes it harder to get "behind" the 8 ball. (This is true) Looking at the picture of the shot taken, it does appear the cue ball didnt get as high as it could of and it looks like it came close to lettin the 3 ball be seen. The intentional and the loss of one ball seems easily the better shot. Keith
I'm not Dennis but Dennis gave me power of attorney to answer just about all questions directed toward him.:D I agree with every thing you said and yes it probably would be a better way of playing the shot (your way)but maybe not for players that are gifted with such fine executing skills. Right Dennis?

Dr. Bill

Last edited:

FastEddieF.

Verified Member
2 rails under 8 low right ,8 hits 5 and cue ball hits 2 ball hit either side works of 2 ball is good.I played this shot many times when I played 30 years ago.The money shot. Medium speed

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
I'm not Dennis but Dennis gave me power of attorney to answer just about all questions directed toward him.:D I agree with every thing you said and yes it probably would be a better way of playing the shot (your way)but maybe not for players that are gifted with such fine executing skills. Right Dennis?

Dr. Bill

Right Bill

I guess I should have qualified my response with "the simplest shot that doesn't cost you a ball".

Dennis