Scott Frost, one of the greatest ever? ...or just another great player?

Triple Smart

Verified Member
Will he be on a level with Ronnie Allen in 30 yrs or will he fade away as being remembered as a good player?
What are your opinions?

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
We'll know in thirty years. The gambling halls that used to exist across the country no longer exist and with TV, streaming, a players face gets known. You could say Scott is known. Scott also doesn't have that abrasive attitude of RA's. He is as imaginative with his game and he is learning to play a moving game as well as his "power" one pocket. Scott I believe does not want to spend all his days hustling in pool rooms, he has a greater design for his life.

Triple Smart

Verified Member
We'll know in thirty years. The gambling halls that used to exist across the country no longer exist and with TV, streaming, a players face gets known. You could say Scott is known. Scott also doesn't have that abrasive attitude of RA's. He is as imaginative with his game and he is learning to play a moving game as well as his "power" one pocket. Scott I believe does not want to spend all his days hustling in pool rooms, he has a greater design for his life.

So, with the variables it's kind of tough to compare him to the old great ones?
I agree with that.
What about talent/skill wise?

1andDone

Verified Member
From
Ocean Springs, MS
I think it depends on who you ask. Scott will tell you HE is the greatest, Lol! I think he's definitely on the top tier but I also think his ego far exceeds his abilities. I've seen him play in person many times (as many of you also have I'm sure) and never was his demeanor what I would consider representative of a professional. He is, in my opinion, just a very good player, gambler, and hustler.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
When today's honor roll is called, IMO he should be listed in the top 3 one pocket players in the USA. Being honored with a distinction of top 10 all time greats 30 years from now, who knows, a lot depends on him and his passion for the game, and who comes up from lower ranks to challenge him. If he continues to learn and improve over the next 8-10 years and holds onto today's top 3 ranking or better for that period of time, then I'd have to include him in my top 10 all time. I would consider that period of time (15 years) as being long enough to deserve a top ten or better all time ranking. At least that's how I see it.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Will he be on a level with Ronnie Allen in 30 yrs or will he fade away as being remembered as a good player?
What are your opinions?

He's not there yet, but he may get there. He has some issues to deal with and he knows what they are. Problem is, he's known what they are for a few years already.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
It is said that Buddy Hall hated to lose. Hell, we all hate to lose but Buddy Hall hated it enough to keep coming back until he won. Of course, he started young and was the best in the world (at nine ball ) for several years. I say this to suggest that the determining factor for greatness is one’s mind or mind set. I think Scott is too busy getting over or working the angle or making the score to keep him on top long enough to be considered one of the best of all time. Also, there is that pesky detail of his competition. The enigmatic thing here is I believe he could beat just about 99.9% of the players from 30 years ago. This can be accounted for by the inexorable and inevitable progress of the game and the equipment. In short…he could be if he wanted to be very, very much. I wonder if he really wants to be that much.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
You can't learn anything without a deep respect for truth and a recognition of your own fallibility. I wonder if Scott even thinks he needs to learn anything. Instead of trying to analyze Alex's edge or strategy and working on what he(Scott) did wrong so he can develop effective countermeasures, I think he is too busy NOT taking any of the responsibility for why he lost. He wants to blame it on rolls, luck and gravity or the curvature of the earth or everything BUT himself. You can't control all those other factors. You are much better off accepting responsibility onto yourself. At least if you do this you have a chance of developing a plan to change things.

If you are infallible, you can't learn.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I think he is too busy NOT taking any of the responsibility for why he lost. He wants to blame it on rolls, luck and gravity or the curvature of the earth or everything BUT himself.

You may be right, but I see it a little differently. I have heard him after a match is over analyzing and talking about what he did wrong, or should have done better. He sees it then, but doesn't see it or can't resist the "wrong" shot the next time it comes up.

IOW, it's not lack of knowledge or poor execution, it's self-discipline, and part of that is caring too much about showing what he knows or can do.

Scott has the skill and the knowledge to be #1, but he'd better hurry because Alex is gonna eventually learn most of what Scott knows and Scott wil be #2 again.

NJshooter

Verified Member
No offense intended, but when you talk about a great player and will he be considered as one of the all time greats X number of years from now -- it's an exercise in futility. First, and again, I mean no disrespect, but it doesn't matter what the player thinks of himself as it relates to everyone else thinks. Minnesota Fats thought, without question, claimed, believed, told everyone, etc., that he was the greatest player who ever lived. And, he told you immediately after getting beat soundly by someone, LOL.

Second, there has been a massive global rise in the community of pool players and where they are coming from. The community, geographically, is much larger. Not to oversimplify, but it used to be a "domestic" game for the most part, and has now evolved into global. In an analogous fashion, look at the NHL -- going from a "Canadian" landscape to a more global one in the rise of the European community of players. That said, who knows what the next 30 years will hold. We could see many players come along, and that could certainly change the standing/stature of a "great" we see today. One could go from a standout great of today to being one of many, or not as good as many more to come.

Triple Smart

Verified Member
Im not trying to dis-credit Scott. He is an amazing player. I am certain that he is a better action guy than tournament player. I just think that he should have kept a low profile all these years and made tons! He may be taking the high road and keeping the good guy image but i think it hurt him. I mean the only action a guy like that can get is giving up major weight. I personally think his Mr. Untouchable ego is his enemy. Once you realize that sometimes you just get out played and beaten at your own game it helps you develop. I had that problem a couple years ago. Once i realized that i was just getting beaten by the player and not the rolls my game grew better. I got over it and played smarter. Being the best one pocket player in the world will not pay the bills. Being a world class player that nobody knows, will pay the bills. JMO

Triple Smart

Verified Member
No offense intended, but when you talk about a great player and will he be considered as one of the all time greats X number of years from now -- it's an exercise in futility. First, and again, I mean no disrespect, but it doesn't matter what the player thinks of himself as it relates to everyone else thinks. Minnesota Fats thought, without question, claimed, believed, told everyone, etc., that he was the greatest player who ever lived. And, he told you immediately after getting beat soundly by someone, LOL.

Second, there has been a massive global rise in the community of pool players and where they are coming from. The community, geographically, is much larger. Not to oversimplify, but it used to be a "domestic" game for the most part, and has now evolved into global. In an analogous fashion, look at the NHL -- going from a "Canadian" landscape to a more global one in the rise of the European community of players. That said, who knows what the next 30 years will hold. We could see many players come along, and that could certainly change the standing/stature of a "great" we see today. One could go from a standout great of today to being one of many, or not as good as many more to come.

I get what your saying NJ. Your right. 👍

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL

I agree with you on the big picture. One thing...I don't think Fatty actually believed his own B.S. It is a very effective way to find and get the action. I mean when you declare loudly that you are the best and have never been beat, everybody in the room wants to prove you wrong. You'll get a game. I actually talked to him right after (Well to be honest it wasn't right after he got beat. It was right after I saw the tape and I know it was delayed because he was back home) one of his TV matches with Mosconi. They had played 9-ball among other games and for once he actually beat Mosconi with a 3 cushion carom off the 4 ball. Anyway, after the match Mosconi refused to shake Fatty's extended hand. I called him at home and asked him what that was all about and he said, "It don't mean nothin'. Ya undersand? This man is the greatest pool player that ever picked up a cue but he's a straight pool player. They're all a little funny. I'm not a straight pool player. The last time I played straight pool was in 1932 and I played Andrew Ponzi to 100 points for 100 dollars a game. It was 100 and out--100 and out back and forth for 9 hours and we broke dead even after 9 hours. Ya understnand?" Fatty was a showman and he knew it. I really wish I had been around in the 1930's when he was at the top of his game. I first learned about him in the 1950's when the Detroit Free Press had an article on him about his visit to Detroit. I later was to see him on his TV show that featured him playing movie stars. Believe it or not, I learned a lot from him watching that show. He was a really good guy and like a lot of us he was quite human. Humans are never perfect.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I agree with you on the big picture. One thing...I don't think Fatty actually believed his own B.S. It is a very effective way to find and get the action. I mean when you declare loudly that you are the best and have never been beat, everybody in the room wants to prove you wrong. You'll get a game. I actually talked to him right after (Well to be honest it wasn't right after he got beat. It was right after I saw the tape and I know it was delayed because he was back home) one of his TV matches with Mosconi. They had played 9-ball among other games and for once he actually beat Mosconi with a 3 cushion carom off the 4 ball. Anyway, after the match Mosconi refused to shake Fatty's extended hand. I called him at home and asked him what that was all about and he said, "It don't mean nothin'. Ya undersand? This man is the greatest pool player that ever picked up a cue but he's a straight pool player. They're all a little funny. I'm not a straight pool player. The last time I played straight pool was in 1932 and I played Andrew Ponzi to 100 points for 100 dollars a game. It was 100 and out--100 and out back and forth for 9 hours and we broke dead even after 9 hours. Ya understnand?" Fatty was a showman and he knew it. I really wish I had been around in the 1930's when he was at the top of his game. I first learned about him in the 1950's when the Detroit Free Press had an article on him about his visit to Detroit. I later was to see him on his TV show that featured him playing movie stars. Believe it or not, I learned a lot from him watching that show. He was a really good guy and like a lot of us he was quite human. Humans are never perfect.

I would say that Fats thought Mosconi was a stone cold sucker.
Fats did and said whatever he wanted, most of his life.
Mosconi had The Brunswick Corporation all up in his business all day long every day for most of his .
Just depends which view you prefer.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
I would say that Fats thought Mosconi was a stone cold sucker.
Fats did and said whatever he wanted, most of his life.
Mosconi had The Brunswick Corporation all up in his business all day long every day for most of his .
Just depends which view you prefer.

I much prefer my view. It is based on personal conversations with Fatty and tolerance for others. "All up in your business" can have a certain stress level but it helps pay the bills. Life is an attitude.