Shooting with Butt End of Cue

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
If your opponent were to have a ball hanging in his pocket and you were to pocket it with the butt end of the cue, it would be a foul correct? I know it is goofy but I was thinking about it because I am a goofy type guy. I am sure you guys have seen all types of fouls and moves in this game.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
if he hit the object ball in with the butt yes its a foul if your playing that way imho. if he hits the q ball with the butt of his cue to play the ball in the pocket i dont know if thats a foul.

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
anytime you hit the cueball with anything else then your cuetip, it's a foul. Ferrule, shaft, butt, doesn't matter.

Now you will see people just tap their end of the shaft on a ball in the pack or something, but they are taking a foul, so they can hit it with whatever they want, it just ends up being a foul, but that's what they wanted.

That type of rule, I would think would be pretty universal in all games, in most places. Bottom line is, you can play whatever rules you want to, but you should both be in agreement with them ahead of time.

That could be a spot though.. one person has to make all balls with his the butt of his cue, or his shaft only, or the other end of the shaft only, or the butt, but he has to use the screw sticking out to cue with.:eek:

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
lll said:
if he hit the object ball in with the butt yes its a foul if your playing that way imho. if he hits the q ball with the butt of his cue to play the ball in the pocket i dont know if thats a foul.
Sorry I did mean hitting the cue ball with the butt end of the cue and making the object ball, that would be a foul I would think but might border on unsportsmanlike conduct.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Fast Lenny said:
If your opponent were to have a ball hanging in his pocket and you were to pocket it with the butt end of the cue, it would be a foul correct? I know it is goofy but I was thinking about it because I am a goofy type guy. I am sure you guys have seen all types of fouls and moves in this game.
If they were playing under tournament rules, then a player accidentally bumping a ball into an opponent's pocket with the butt of his cue would not be a foul. The ball would be replaced back to its original position.

Doc

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
gulfportdoc said:
If they were playing under tournament rules, then a player accidentally bumping a ball into an opponent's pocket with the butt of his cue would not be a foul. The ball would be replaced back to its original position.

Doc
I am talking about turning your cue around and pocketing someones hanger with the butt end, is it a foul or not, would it be unsportsmanlike conduct?, I am just saying this in case you could not follow it in or jump the cue ball off the table. :)

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Fast Lenny said:
I am talking about turning your cue around and pocketing someones hanger with the butt end, is it a foul or not, would it be unsportsmanlike conduct?, I am just saying this in case you could not follow it in or jump the cue ball off the table. :)
in the case you are describing where the player deliberately hits your ball in with the butt of his q not in the act of shooting it would be unsportsman like and the ball should be respotted even if you were playing all fouls count. since this was not in the of shooting. its no different then if he took his hand and tried to reposition a ball. imho

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Fast Lenny said:
Oh, I thought you were referring to an accidental bump by an opponent. If a player deliberately went over and bumped an opponent's ball into the hole with the butt end of his cue, then that would be a foul. The ball would be replaced, and the fouler owes one.

In a private game, and the guy has just done that in jest or anger, I suppose the opponent could just laugh it off and replace the ball. Then it would be his turn. If the guy was a jerk, I'd just quit him.

In a refereed game it could be considered unsportsmanlike conduct, depending upon the ref's decision. It could even result in lose of game, match, or even disqualification, depending upon the nature of the infraction, history of prior infractions, previous fouls, etc.

In the example you mentioned, if the hanger was your last ball, I'd consider it a concession if the guy bunted the ball into your hole. Game over.

Doc

beatle

Verified Member
whats wrong with you guys? first off if he is doing it he is having fun and not getting any advantage in any way. why discourage this. if its a cash game this is just the type of person you want to play. let him do it all he wants. besides he could miscue and you get the best of it.
think about it. wouldnt you always want someone to shoot with something other than the tip.

maybe you need to go to england and discuss Marquess of Queensberry rules:) or what ever that is.