Simple wwyd(or is it?)

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I wish Doctor Bill would post what a pro would shoot.
It's also known as the "sleeping in the park" shot.😄
I had a pool friend who was waiting on a drug dealer to play him and he slept in his car in the parking lot at night , waiting on the guy to come in for almost a year, The funny thing was , a horse track guy , sublet his back seat for the summer.
The pool player eventually won about 50 grand off the dealer in a couple of plays.
Thats not enough for me to sleep in a car for a year , but he was happy.

J.R.

Verified Member
From
Chicago, Illinois
I'd roll the cue ball into the 5-ball and let my opponent shoot from the corner. The distance the cue ball from the 5-ball is about 6 feet 5 inches. Once the cue ball contacts the 5-ball it has to travel is about 2 feet 10 inches. Total distance of this shot is 9 feet 3 inches. Unless your Russian Kenny or one of the twenty top "straight-shooting-sharpshooters," I'll take my chances that the rest of the field misses the shot.

Additionally, from the presented positions of the 5-ball and cue ball in the diagram, it is nearly an automatic corner hook on 4.5 inch Diamond table pockets.

Last edited:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Thanks guys for your comments about the videos. I posted them for I thought it add something for unopero's wwyd. These videos are not the atypical 99 critical OP shots, but they are our OP.org wwyd shots, based upon our wwyd threads.

The video where you shoot towards the ball in the pocket from around the spot area, I believe this is more based on the pocket rather than the performance of the shot. I am not doing anything special, just a draw shot follow through. So if you pocket accepts this shot, it should be fairly easy to pull off.

The shot where both the ob and cb are in the pocket, that is from a wwyd, but just me playing around with it and discovered how to bring them both out.

The video of making both the opponent's and my ball on the same shot is difficult because of the ob placement which requires hitting the rail first.

On this wwyd, it appears that the 5 ball is not teetering on the edge ready to drop in, so I believe you can roll up on it and possibly get a rail with the cb after contact. CB gently hits 5 and comes back and touches the long rail, and both the ob and cb are lying there in the the pocket. If the 5 drops then we may get a jaw hook on the cb.
Whitey

unoperro

Verified Member
So the 5 is frozen to the inside of the pocket and cueball is frozen to the rail. For those reasons I didn't want to try the corner hook as I felt I would most likely scratch. I could have drawn back but my opponent is rather good at the spotshot bank. I played it with
slight draw and lots of left hoping to leave the cueball in front of my pocket. I did leave whitey frozen to the footrail a diamond from my pocket.
I felt leaving the long rail bank or the 3 railer from there was my best option. My opponent 1 railed the bank but hit it soft and wide. I was left with the ball in front of the side pocket 4" from the rail and whitey 1 diamond up the long from my pocket.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
I am surprised no one here suggested sending the cue ball off the two side rails with left english onto the foot rail one diamond from his opponent's pocket. This should be a very simply and safe solution to this issue. Because the cue ball is so close to the object ball, control of the hit is easy for most skilled players.

Tom

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
So the 5 is frozen to the inside of the pocket and cueball is frozen to the rail. For those reasons I didn't want to try the corner hook as I felt I would most likely scratch. I could have drawn back but my opponent is rather good at the spotshot bank. I played it with
slight draw and lots of left hoping to leave the cueball in front of my pocket. I did leave whitey frozen to the footrail a diamond from my pocket.
I felt leaving the long rail bank or the 3 railer from there was my best option. My opponent 1 railed the bank but hit it soft and wide. I was left with the ball in front of the side pocket 4" from the rail and whitey 1 diamond up the long from my pocket.
Thanks for the wwyd! You pulled off one hell of a shot!
Whitey

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I am surprised no one here suggested sending the cue ball off the two side rails with left english onto the foot rail one diamond from his opponent's pocket. This should be a very simply and safe solution to this issue. Because the cue ball is so close to the object ball, control of the hit is easy for most skilled players.

Tom, it is because members recognized that it leaves a very make-able two rail when the 5 ball spots w/ the cb on the 1st diamond foot rail by the opponent's pocket. You are playing to make the 5 and do this leave, if I read your post correctly.
Whitey

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.

The 5 ball appeared to me not to be teetering on the edge, so I believe this shot is possible. The reaction is to send the cb back to the long rail jaw, so a legal hit is there. My pocket probably has a larger opening, but I did IMO set the ob closer to teetering than represented in the wwyd. My pockets have a very deep shelf, so in fairness I set the 5 closer to dropping.

If you study the view the whole 5 ball is hit-able, therefore we can expect this ob reaction & cb reaction of going back towards the long rail jaw/point. If it drops as members such as Androd states, then ok, for there is the possibility of a jaw / point hook.
Whitey

Last edited:

unoperro

Verified Member
Whitey the last video is a interesting reply. I am going to try it.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Tom, it is because members recognized that it leaves a very make-able two rail when the 5 ball spots w/ the cb on the 1st diamond foot rail by the opponent's pocket. You are playing to make the 5 and do this leave, if I read your post correctly.
Whitey

Whitey, We sometimes have lively discussions about the various shot options. Here we go again!
I would have to disagree with you that the two rail bank is "Very make-able". I've been playing this (side rail - side rail) reply for as long as I can remember. Only a handful of times has anyone made that two rail bank on me with out risking a reasonable return shot if missed. This includes an array of talent that equals many of the top ten players from my era. I don't care to name drop but the list is impressive and extensive. That two rail bank requires considerable inside english and works best with a center to low ball hit. Using follow the shot must be hit thinner sending the object ball much closer to the diagonal corner pocket. That thinner hit also can bring side pocket scratch into play if the shooter is trying to send the cue ball up table. Bottom line, that two rail bank you suggest, if shooting from the foot rail would be a welcome sight in my eyes.
No Whitey, in my opinion, your two rail bank is strictly for TV showoffs, not for serious One Pocket players. With the exception of your little nudge double kiss shot all the other options I've read carry far more risk.

Tom​

Last edited:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Whitey

Whitey, We sometimes have lively discussions about the various shot options. Here we go again!
I would have to disagree with you that the two rail bank is "Very make-able". I've been playing this (side rail - side rail) reply for as long as I can remember. Only a handful of times has anyone made that two rail bank on me with out risking a reasonable return shot if missed. This includes an array of talent that equals many of the top ten players from my era. I don't care to name drop but the list is impressive and extensive. That two rail bank requires considerable inside english and works best with a center to low ball hit. Using follow the shot must be hit thinner sending the object ball much closer to the diagonal corner pocket. That thinner hit also can bring side pocket scratch into play if the shooter is trying to send the cue ball up table. Bottom line, that two rail bank you suggest, if shooting from the foot rail would be a welcome sight in my eyes.
No Whitey, in my opinion, your two rail bank is strictly for TV showoffs, not for serious One Pocket players. With the exception of your little nudge double kiss shot all the other options I've read carry far more risk.

Tom​
Well Ok! But cold turkey, not playing for months on end, I mean cold turkey no warm up, I made it 2nd try, froze off the rail w/ high w/ a little inside english. Can not hit center or low ball froze to the rail. On a 5 x 10 it may be it is easier, I do not know.

Kentucky made almost this very shot on me in the 2018 MOT, it was harder because he did not have the freedom to hit his spot for there were other balls on the table, so it required more reverse to straighten it out off the end rail to the hole, not a natural. That bank shot put me out of the tourny, I am not leaving that shot again on the game winning ball.
Whitey

Last edited:

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
I just now returned home and see you recently posted your reply. Thank you. Nice shot Whitey!
We all know I don't give up easily when I believe I'm right. Chuckling.
I never said the shot can't be made. I only say the shot is too risky for any serious player trying to win in the long run. I would think the shot probably plays a bit better on a 10' table but not having played much on them I wouldn't know. I would like to know the direction the cue ball took when you made the shot and if you don't mind, what outcome did you have when you missed the shot. I also would be interested in seeing an unedited video of numerous attempts. I'm not trying to put you on the spot so it's of course, your choice. Well, maybe I am. Sorry.

Tom​

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I just now returned home and see you recently posted your reply. Thank you. Nice shot Whitey!
I never said the shot can't be made. I only say the shot is too risky for any serious player trying to win in the long run. I would think the shot probably plays a bit better on a 10' table but not having played much on them I wouldn't know. I would like to know the direction the cue ball took when you made the shot and if you don't mind, what outcome did you have when you missed the shot. I also would be interested in seeing an unedited video of numerous attempts. I'm not trying to put you on the spot so it's of course, your choice. Well, maybe I am. Sorry.

Tom​
I am not going there. I have nothing to prove.
Whitey