Speaking of Rafael Martinez

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Speaking of Rafael Martinez, who, by the way, is a great player...here's one of my favorite 'Aggressive-Rafael Moments', lol....for those of you in the East, etc. who may not be familiar with Rafael's style of play...he plays very aggressive, and likes to fire at his hole - like Tony and Scott....

This was at the DCC, in a tournament match about 8 years ago...it's Rafael's shot and he has pocket A....well, quite naturally he banks the 12 straight back, like all of us would....now all of us (I'm pretty sure), would bank the 12 and roll down to the head rail, or bank the 12 and stop right there...but what does Rafael do?....

He banks the 12 and power-draws the cueball back into the top of the rack (5 & 10 balls) to break the rack open and run balls...:eek:...I guess he doesn't consider that he just might possibly miss the bank and sell out...:eek:...I chuckled to myself and shook my head when I saw him shoot that shot...:)...gotta love that Rafael...here's the approx. layout >>>

- Ghost
[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AEUK4BBSJ4CADu3DCXu3EBBf3FBSI3GVFK3HAdj4IFrY4JCPk4KCxh2LMjh3MEtg4NEdD4OWLK2PMQy3QcYs@[/CUETABLE]

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
more creative

more creative

First saw RF at the McDermmot 9-ball in 82-3?He wasn't in the tournament but hustling after hours.One of the last times he was stalling the leaders.But watching a tape of him and Shannon middle 90's racing one-hole to 5 he was doing shots like that that were head and shoulders above most guys abilities.The combo of seeing the very unique shot and then executing with controlled fairly extreme draw or english was a treat to watch and remember to setup at a later time.He's also about the friendliest guy I met on tour,cheers,Bob

senor

Verified Member
One Pocket Ghost said:
Speaking of Rafael Martinez, who, by the way, is a great player...here's one of my favorite 'Aggressive-Rafael Moments', lol....for those of you in the East, etc. who may not be familiar with Rafael's style of play...he plays very aggressive, and likes to fire at his hole - like Tony and Scott....

Even Tony and Scott might blush at some of the shots Rafael shoots.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
senor said:
Even Tony and Scott might blush at some of the shots Rafael shoots.

If you watched his semi-final in Tulsa...blushing, would not be a good word to describe Frost's demeanor when Rafael beat him 4-2..:rolleyes:

senor

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
"Letting go of certainties usually requires betting someone elses money."

Cowboy Dennis (quote)

I only got staked one time. Don't get me wrong, I always (almost) let my people in with me if they wanted. Looking back, maybe I should've jellied my most avid supporter when they weren't in with me, since they always treated me real well after a victory. But that's a different discussion.

The one time I got staked I hated it, I felt strung up. It was a weird situation, though. The dude staking me never hung out in the pool rooms, it was a friend of a friend. Point being based on my experience I would be more likely to freewheel on my own money. Obviously, I know exactly what Dennis is talking about. There are those that made a career off of getting staked and treat every win or loss with the same level of nonchalance.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
senor said:
The one time I got staked I hated it, I felt strung up. It was a weird situation, though. The dude staking me never hung out in the pool rooms, it was a friend of a friend. Point being based on my experience I would be more likely to freewheel on my own money. Obviously, I know exactly what Dennis is talking about. There are those that made a career off of getting staked and treat every win or loss with the same level of nonchalance.

Getting staked takes a different mind set. I was only staked about 6 times and the first couple were very uncomfortable. I had a watch and ring that I could get a hundred for at the local pawn shop and if I liked the game in they went. I paid many dollars in intrest over the years, but the winnings if any were all mine. My partner now deceased said " when you get pumped up playing pool the whole room gets pumped up with you, when you go broke you go alone." He was correct.
Rod.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
androd said:
Getting staked takes a different mind set. I was only staked about 6 times and the first couple were very uncomfortable. I had a watch and ring that I could get a hundred for at the local pawn shop and if I liked the game in they went. I paid many dollars in intrest over the years, but the winnings if any were all mine. My partner now deceased said " when you get pumped up playing pool the whole room gets pumped up with you, when you go broke you go alone." He was correct.
Rod.

You are right about a different mind set Rod. The people who staked me, were (almost always) also good friends.

Early on, I found myself putting extra pressure on myself, trying too hard to win for them. (or at least avoid a big loss) I soon found out, that I performed better when I played my own.

I did get staked a lot when the action was high $$$, but I'm proud to say, I never lost a friend over any action, good or bad.

Charlie Brown and Mike James are good examples. We are still lifelong buddies. Never close to a hard word. And as you know, I did not always win..;)