SVB vs. Orcullo on Saturday

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I see Shane and Orcullo are scheduled to play a race to 7 one-pocket on Saturday, 8/18 at the TAR studio in Las Vegas (theactionreport.com). It's part of an all-around, including 8 ball and 10 ball.

I think SVB is the favorite in the 1P-- maybe in the entire contest. Anyone have any thoughts?

Doc

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
I see Shane and Orcullo are scheduled to play a race to 7 one-pocket on Saturday, 8/18 at the TAR studio in Las Vegas (theactionreport.com). It's part of an all-around, including 8 ball and 10 ball.

I think SVB is the favorite in the 1P-- maybe in the entire contest. Anyone have any thoughts?

Doc

Orcullo played. T Rex (Tony Chohan) a couple sets at Hard Times in Sacramento a few years back and got tortured. Shane plays the same kind of game as Orcullo, not a lot of moving, just incredible ball pocketing and cue ball control.

I would make Shane a slight favorite but would not be surprised if Orcullo won. He has had time to learn some moves.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
As we all know -

As we all know -

They never was a hoss that couldn't be rode, and they never was a cowboy that couldn't be throwed." ;)

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
I think Shane will win the one pocket. He has been playing at a very high level against top players. Orcullo has the edge in ten ball so it all comes down to the eight ball round. Odds?

backplaying

Verified Member
I see it this way. Shane is a favorite in the 8 ball and 1 hole. Dennis flirted with scratching on the break in the side everytime he broke them last night playing 8 ball. I have a feeling Dennis practiced the break for a long time after the match last night though. I also don't think anyone would be very surprised if Dennis took it down, so, I guess it would be a pick it to most.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Shane should win the onepocket, IMO..He is also a slight fave in the 8 ball..10 ball is a toss up, but if anyone can pull a minor upset, it would be Dennis.

I think Alex might give SVB a better "all-around" contest..Maybe coming up someday, huh Justin ?

jalapus logan

Verified Member
I read Jay Helfert said that the way these guys match up is Shane giving up 9 to 8. If these guys perform like they did in the 8 ball last night, then this will be a helluva match to sweat. IMHO, these two may be the best on the planet right now. Should be fun to watch.

Cheers mates,

JL

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Reportedly Orcullo beat Shane 7-4 in the TAR one-pocket yesterday (Sat.). It looks like Shane was up 4-3 when they took a break. Evidently when they returned, Orcullo won 4 in a row!

Shane had won the 8-ball portion of the contest on Friday, 15-11. They'll be playing the 10-ball portion today.

Doc

jalapus logan

Verified Member
Reportedly Orcullo beat Shane 7-4 in the TAR one-pocket yesterday (Sat.). It looks like Shane was up 4-3 when they took a break. Evidently when they returned, Orcullo won 4 in a row!

Shane had won the 8-ball portion of the contest on Friday, 15-11. They'll be playing the 10-ball portion today.

Doc

Things started going south for SVB when Shane had 6 and Orcullo had 7 (I think) and Dennis scratched. SVB pondered the situation and it resulted in a foul when the shot clock expired. It was a surprising outcome, frankly, and the momentum shifted then, imo. SVB looked like the inevitable winner in the first half of the set until that happened.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Things started going south for SVB when Shane had 6 and Orcullo had 7 (I think) and Dennis scratched. SVB pondered the situation and it resulted in a foul when the shot clock expired. It was a surprising outcome, frankly, and the momentum shifted then, imo. SVB looked like the inevitable winner in the first half of the set until that happened.

A shot clock! Have to like that -- unfortunately you need that with some players.

jalapus logan

Verified Member
A shot clock! Have to like that -- unfortunately you need that with some players.

Yeah, it is a good thing, IMO, though these two didn't need it much, especially in the 10 ball. But Shane basically had the game won and had ball in hand and just stood there holding the cue ball when the clock expired! You should have seen the look on his face when he had to cede control of the table to Dennis - a priceless WTF type of expression!

It was also a bit funny watching Dennis literally jogging around the table several times during the onepocket while he got different perspectives of the shots. 1P is not his best game, and you could tell he was really studying the table - but had to hurry up about it!