tappered shaft

Bob Reynolds

Verified Member
From
Tollhouse, CA
Greetings,

Can someone help me out on tappered shafts? I have a classic first catalog Palmer Model 11 with three shafts. One is 12.5mm the other two are 13mm.

I know the game has changed over the years and most of the top players are using a tappered shaft that appears to be the same diameter from the tip to about the first 12-14" of the shaft length. We use to measure the diameter of a shaft at about four inches from the tip using the old template.

in playing 1P, I have found my stroke is more like a solid strait pool stroke, not a lot of extreme stroke, so no need for a tappered shaft. Am I missing something by not using a tappered shaft? Your thoughts from an old houseman (1970's) from the SF Bay Area.

Also, here is a shot from a recent practice session at California Billards near San Jose. I was on a business trip and my pocket is the bottom. I did not see the shot at first, since I was drinking a beer at the other end of the table. When I turned around, the shot was screaming at me. Some of the locals were watching me and of course I made sure it was obvious I was going for it. Perfect speed on the cue ball and the combo dropped the ball like a silk glove was handling it. Next two shots and I was out.

START(
%AE5R2%BB2\5%CB1\3%DB3B0%ED1S9%FD0U8%GB2\6%HB9B3%IB5B4%JB3B5
%KB2\5%LB0B4%MB5\1%NB8B9%OD4K8%PF1V8%WD1S2%XD9R5%YC8Z2%ZC9T5
%[r9T9%\G0V9%]F5Q9%^s3T5%eB3a0%f6%g5
)END

bells

From
joe thomas country.........
As far as tapers go Im sure your shafts have a taper on them. Perhaps your shafts have a lil too much 'meat" on them. I dont think that there is a set standard as far as players and tapers go. I think it is all personal preferance. I have a new Mike Capone cue and I noticed that the shafts seem thicker than my other cues. I would suggest that you try a different shaft taper and see if you like it. I think the taper you are talking about is a"pro" taper. there are many variations of this taper. Hope this helps .......

Bob Reynolds

Verified Member
From
Tollhouse, CA
Thanks Bells,

I know what I am seeing is the "Pro-taper", just wanting to know how far up the shaft they keep the beginning diameter before flaring out to the joint.

My interest is in having one of my shafts done to see if it improves my rather poor draw. Even after 30 years of playing, I can't seem to get more than about three feet of cue movement on a draw. My stroke is just more just like a thunk.

andre700

instead of turning one of your shafts down,how about buying a shaft with the taper you think you should have.it will cost only a little more and you won't hurt the original 1st catalog palmer shafts plus you might hate it and consider the original shaft junk after it has been turned down.