The instant turn around

keoneyo

Verified Member
In many competitive arenas putting someone on tilt is a part of the game.
The fans in basketball have no shame in sharking a visiting team with waving their banners at the free throw line.
Bobby Fischer did it to his Russian opponents and was lauded for it.
In poker, how-to books are written about it.

The one answer to all this sharking is skill through adversity.

That is one thing Wayne has neglected to tell you about.
Wayne is a miler. A long distance runner.
To beat him you have to go through a long consistent struggle.
You might beat him in a race to 3 but he just keeps coming back and
doesnt have give up in him. And like a long distance runner he excels in the
latter part of the race.
While your skills are wearing down over a period of time his gets better. He figures out what he is doing wrong with his stance, stroke, and mechanics. He also is honest about when he is on tilt and tries to combat it. He rarely blames the table condition (as so many of his opponents do), bad rolls (bad beats), or opponents sharking. He plods along making shot after shot.

In his post he sounded like he has a long "got beat" list. But if you put it over a span of time with each opponent I would think that he is on the plus side. His beats come when he often over spots someone in order to get action. Giving parasites a giant spot like 12/6 when we all know the fair game is 10/6 at the least.

What puts opponents most on tilt is when you have a skilled adversary who keeps coming back, even when down, and punishes you when you make a mistake. An ex or a lucky shot is just an excuse to wither before a strong opponent who doesnt give up and trusts his skills.

unoperro

Verified Member
In many competitive arenas putting someone on tilt is a part of the game.
The fans in basketball have no shame in sharking a visiting team with waving their banners at the free throw line.
Bobby Fischer did it to his Russian opponents and was lauded for it.
In poker, how-to books are written about it.

The one answer to all this sharking is skill through adversity.

That is one thing Wayne has neglected to tell you about.
Wayne is a miler. A long distance runner.
To beat him you have to go through a long consistent struggle.
You might beat him in a race to 3 but he just keeps coming back and
doesnt have give up in him. And like a long distance runner he excels in the
latter part of the race.
While your skills are wearing down over a period of time his gets better. He figures out what he is doing wrong with his stance, stroke, and mechanics. He also is honest about when he is on tilt and tries to combat it. He rarely blames the table condition (as so many of his opponents do), bad rolls (bad beats), or opponents sharking. He plods along making shot after shot.

In his post he sounded like he has a long "got beat" list. But if you put it over a span of time with each opponent I would think that he is on the plus side. His beats come when he often over spots someone in order to get action. Giving parasites a giant spot like 12/6 when we all know the fair game is 10/6 at the least.

What puts opponents most on tilt is when you have a skilled adversary who keeps coming back, even when down, and punishes you when you make a mistake. An ex or a lucky shot is just an excuse to wither before a strong opponent who doesnt give up and trusts his skills.

Dont know Wayne but I have seen other good players with more " bottom, or belly" (horseracing terms) hang on and win. Losers are looking for a excuse to lose,winners are waitng to win. I have watched a really good player in barroom action who would clock his opponents and then give them 1 less chance then they needed to win. Might give up 4 turns at the table. Sit and watch in disbelief. He knows if push comes to shove- he is a locomotive and they are riding a shetland pony.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
We used to ask a bowler what he was doing with his left arm during his approach. You might ask a pool player why he wiggles the ring finger on his bridge hand.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
The instant turn around

We used to ask a bowler what he was doing with his left arm during his approach. You might ask a pool player why he wiggles the ring finger on his bridge hand.

I like to ask a guy ... "Hey, do you breathe in or out when you stroke the ball?" heh. Good for at least 5 minutes of overthinking lol.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
Happened to me once, 300 dollar races to 3 and I lose the first 5 sets to a guy that I think I am supposed to beat.
It seems like everything he shoots at goes in and I get the yips.
I'm ready to quit and come back another day but you never know if they will have any money left by tomorrow.
He goes to the bar and orders a drink and takes a 5 dollar bill and puts it in the jukebox and a song comes on and hes dancing around like the guy in Reservoir Dogs.
I decide to fire another barrel at him and I win every set the rest of the day .
I end up getting my money back and 2100 of his.
When we are done he tells me "great shooting"! I don't know what happened.
I had you gutted and you couldn't make a ball, and then I never won another set.
I said, You sir, had a "premature celebration!"

FrenchAT

Verified Member
From
Augusta, Georgia
What do you look at last the OB or the CB. :p:):eek:

I am always looking at the OB when I shoot but because I have put some unintended English on the CB on occasions, I have started to look back and forth quite a bit. I am a line it up and shoot kind of guy and it has suited me much better than most but when I throw a straight in ball out of the pocket I see the error in my ways. I'm still learning but still impatient as hell. I like to trust my alignment and sight but when I miss straight ins, I know it is because I didn't hit the cb in the middle as intended. I also favor bottom or top middle over middle/middle because that is what appears to transfers the most amount of throw on the OB. just my guess but still experimenting.

FrenchAT

Verified Member
From
Augusta, Georgia
there is always something to upset someone. some putting the blue side of the chalk on the rail drives them nuts. spitting on the cueball then wiping it off on your pants works too.
a devious mind can find good ways to win when good shooting doesnt quite make it happen.

I was thinking more about spitting on the chalk and leaving it as the lone on the table when you vacate. lol I don't leave mine on the table and I sure as hell don't use what you left.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I am always looking at the OB when I shoot but because I have put some unintended English on the CB on occasions, I have started to look back and forth quite a bit. I am a line it up and shoot kind of guy and it has suited me much better than most but when I throw a straight in ball out of the pocket I see the error in my ways. I'm still learning but still impatient as hell. I like to trust my alignment and sight but when I miss straight ins, I know it is because I didn't hit the cb in the middle as intended. I also favor bottom or top middle over middle/middle because that is what appears to transfers the most amount of throw on the OB. just my guess but still experimenting.

It's a question that often bothers younger players that have never thought about it. :)

baby huey

Verified Member
Wayne and I live in the same geographic region but rarely play. When we have played it was a war with our sessions lasting quite a while. Wayne has given me a standing offer to come to his pool hall in Santa Monica to play and then we could do a home and away type match. For some reason, maybe I'm scared of his game, it hasn't happened but I suspect it will. What I like about Wayne's game goes back to his thread. First off he never quits on himself and secondly he really enjoys the game. You got to have the passion to be as competitive as Wayne is and play the way he does. Okay Wayne..........you are on my bucket list.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Wayne and I live in the same geographic region but rarely play. When we have played it was a war with our sessions lasting quite a while. Wayne has given me a standing offer to come to his pool hall in Santa Monica to play and then we could do a home and away type match. For some reason, maybe I'm scared of his game, it hasn't happened but I suspect it will. What I like about Wayne's game goes back to his thread. First off he never quits on himself and secondly he really enjoys the game. You got to have the passion to be as competitive as Wayne is and play the way he does. Okay Wayne..........you are on my bucket list.

Jerry, you and I have never played for the $$$$$$$$$. When ever I have seen you, you were on your way to visit your family. Wayne I have played and he gave me a HHHHuuuge spot 11-7. I was lucky to break even. I had to shoot lights out to break even. Every shot Wayne shoots is a two fer. One, he is being aggressive, two, he is playing defense. Most players play one. I would like to see you guys play, what a match.

Wayne

Verified Member

It may be impossible to schedule a home and away so we should consider a 1 day event at a neutral site at Hardtimes. Maybe a Saturday or Sunday starting at 2pm with something like a race to 4 or 5 for $500. Daniel at POV might be willing to stream it from Hardtimes. Let me know if that might work for you.
Cheers, Wayne