The tips we use

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
When I lived in San Francisco, I played in a Filipino pool room. (I was the one allowed<per day>white person.) The counter guy and everyone there played with Elk Masters soaked in buttermilk. The story was this was the way Efrin did his tips and if was good enough for him, it was good enough for them. Price was right too, $5. dolar no holar. :D

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
When I lived in San Francisco, I played in a Filipino pool room. (I was the one allowed<per day>white person.) The counter guy and everyone there played with Elk Masters soaked in buttermilk. The story was this was the way Efrin did his tips and if was good enough for him, it was good enough for them. Price was right too, $5. dolar no holar. :D

efren still plays with an elk master, doesn't he?
something I have always wondered, what does soaking in milk/buttermilk... supposedly do to the organic chemistry of an elk master :confused:?
(what stoned innovator of a pool player was zoned out one day listening to led zeppelin, jolts up and says to himself "i'm gonna soak my cue tip in milk!")....I know some guys swear by them.
:)

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
My last tip was a Moori soft. It mushroomed twice on me and finally chipped at the end of its life. I'm going with one of them there Kamui SS blacks this time to see how I like it. They're not supposed to be made for a low deflection shaft, but I've never let the facts stand in my way of anything pool related. :D

Skin
I don't think the tip has much to do with deflection. Dr Dave recently tested that (when somebody thought he had invented a deflection reducing tip) and found no significant difference from tip to tip.

pj
chicago

bstroud

Verified Member
Steve,

I am using the Kamui super soft and I like it a lot.

I would also add that I use the Kamui chalk.

I use the chalk because it is softer and does not abrade away the tip as fast as other chalk does.

I have had the same tips for almost 2 years, play 6-8 hours every day and the tips are as good as new.

To me at least the tip is the most important part of the cue for a good player and you want to keep the same tip as long as possible.

Bill S.

tylerdurden

Verified Member
I was committed to le pro for years. A good player told me to at least use a triangle for the same hit and no mushrooming. I have never used another type of tip since.

RedCard

Verified Member
A little cupcaking of the tip is not all that undesirable when you are shooting in blunderbuss mode. If it gets excessive a Brad Scuffer will get it back in line.

TomRoden

Verified Member
Tips I've used.

Tips I've used.

Moori medium...great tip, kind of expensive. plays well , lasts a long time.20.00 bucks

Buffalo Hard..I play with these a lot. Hard is an understatement. Lasts a very long time, hardly ever mushrooms, transfers spin and jumps balls like a much more expensive tip. 4 bucks

Emerald Layered by Tiger. I like this 8 dollar tip. It lasts a long time, the action I get is amazing. Nice solid sound on impact. Green tips look cool, too.

Elk Master. This,in my opinion, is like a McDonalds cheese burger. It'll do. We've all played with these since the beginning like the next tip.
2 bucks

LePro Every pool hall in the world installs these on house cues. The LePro is like an old friend, I've shot with this tip my entire life. I know what to expect from the Lepro 2 bucks

Kamui Hard Black. (and the 27 dollar piece of chalk)
This tip is magnificent, The chalk is quite dense, it weighs more than Masters. It plays very well, lasts a while and shoots quite straight. Watch miscues. Use the chalk as directed and crown the tip as directed also. You won't be disappointed with the Kamui.

Remember, only the tip contacts the ball, it's imperative that the contact is perfect.Which tip works best for you can only be determined by you. Shop around, try different tips. Ask friends what they're using.
Lastly, the installation must also be perfect. It's not as easy as it looks. It takes minutes to learn and years to master. If you buy a tip online, at least get a pro to install it for you. The lathe makes all the difference.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Moori medium...great tip, kind of expensive. plays well , lasts a long time.20.00 bucks

Buffalo Hard..I play with these a lot. Hard is an understatement. Lasts a very long time, hardly ever mushrooms, transfers spin and jumps balls like a much more expensive tip. 4 bucks

Emerald Layered by Tiger. I like this 8 dollar tip. It lasts a long time, the action I get is amazing. Nice solid sound on impact. Green tips look cool, too.

Elk Master. This,in my opinion, is like a McDonalds cheese burger. It'll do. We've all played with these since the beginning like the next tip.
2 bucks

LePro Every pool hall in the world installs these on house cues. The LePro is like an old friend, I've shot with this tip my entire life. I know what to expect from the Lepro 2 bucks

Kamui Hard Black. (and the 27 dollar piece of chalk)
This tip is magnificent, The chalk is quite dense, it weighs more than Masters. It plays very well, lasts a while and shoots quite straight. Watch miscues. Use the chalk as directed and crown the tip as directed also. You won't be disappointed with the Kamui.

Remember, only the tip contacts the ball, it's imperative that the contact is perfect.Which tip works best for you can only be determined by you. Shop around, try different tips. Ask friends what they're using.
Lastly, the installation must also be perfect. It's not as easy as it looks. It takes minutes to learn and years to master. If you buy a tip online, at least get a pro to install it for you. The lathe makes all the difference.

nice review and advice....:)

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
My Secret Ingredient for Dry and Shiny tips

My Secret Ingredient for Dry and Shiny tips

In 1987 I started playing in International tournaments in Europe. While there I roomed with a Belgian player, who woke me up to a secret the European 3C players used to repair their tips when getting too hard or drying out.

I've been using it for the past 35 years, and my tips would last me 2-3 years, with 30 hours a week of play!

The Secret ingredient to revive a dried or shiny tip is, "Pure Bear Grease!" It used to waterproof and moisturize leather. You can buy it online from any leather goods or for waterproofing boots for winter. Remember, NO other additives in the grease!

Wipe off the old chalk completely, take a VERY small (Q-tip) size of the grease and rub in into the tip, top and sides. If you have a soft tip, let it set for 5-7 minutes, Med. tip, 7-10 and Hard tip, 10-15 minutes. Then take a clean cloth and dry off the tip so you don't feel the grease on it.

Take some 220 sandpaper and, "lightly" sand the top of the tip till it looks like NEW, and chalk it.

Like I said, I've been doing this for quite along time with GREAT success!

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
In 1987 I started playing in International tournaments in Europe. While there I roomed with a Belgian player, who woke me up to a secret the European 3C players used to repair their tips when getting too hard or drying out.

I've been using it for the past 35 years, and my tips would last me 2-3 years, with 30 hours a week of play!

The Secret ingredient to revive a dried or shiny tip is, "Pure Bear Grease!" It used to waterproof and moisturize leather. You can buy it online from any leather goods or for waterproofing boots for winter. Remember, NO other additives in the grease!

Wipe off the old chalk completely, take a VERY small (Q-tip) size of the grease and rub in into the tip, top and sides. If you have a soft tip, let it set for 5-7 minutes, Med. tip, 7-10 and Hard tip, 10-15 minutes. Then take a clean cloth and dry off the tip so you don't feel the grease on it.

Take some 220 sandpaper and, "lightly" sand the top of the tip till it looks like NEW, and chalk it.

Like I said, I've been doing this for quite along time with GREAT success!

Sounds good to me, thanks Bill, if I save one miscue it will be more than worth it. Bear grease, ok.

Bill Incardona