THINK and THINK

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
lll said:
artie i used to go to the sports palace in new orleans in the 1970s and watch earl heisler play much of what i saw i probaly did not completely understand but i tried to learn. can you share a story or 2 about him. thanks
Earl Hissler was good thinking one pocket player. I played him at the star dust at a Jansco pool tournement. And I beat him. It was the only tournement I ever got in Nine ball Straight pool and one pocket. And I one all three games. And I droped out of the tournement because my father came up with Cancer. And he would not let the doctores operate and a few months latter he passed away. And I never played in another pool tournement. BUt as far as Hisler he would gamble with anyone. And he played Bugs Freddy could tell you tahat story better. Because the times I am talking about I have forgotten. But Hisler would gamble with anyone and he was a good player.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
lll said:
artie i used to go to the sports palace in new orleans in the 1970s and watch earl heisler play much of what i saw i probaly did not completely understand but i tried to learn. can you share a story or 2 about him. thanks
Earl Hissler was good thinking one pocket player. I played him at the star dust at a Jansco pool tournement. And I beat him. It was the only tournement I ever got in Nine ball Straight pool and one pocket. And I one all three games. And I droped out of the tournement because my father came up with Cancer. And he would not let the doctores operate and a few months latter he passed away. And I never played in another pool tournement. BUt as far as Hisler he would gamble with anyone. And he played Bugs Freddy could tell you tahat story better. Because the times I am talking about I have forgotten. But Hisler would gamble with anyone and he was a good player.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Artie Bodendorfer said:
artie thanks again.

gbru

Verified Member
From
mobile al
Artie Bodendorfer said:
Hoppie was more of a thiker then Harold Worst but Harold worest had more talant. BUt in pool a few of the thinkers were Gene Skinner Marcel Camp Joey Spath. Cincinatie Clem. Johnny Latin. Erail Hisler. Steve Cook. Allen Hopkins Eddie Kelly. And Grady. Thier was a player I ran into on the Road. I dont no if anyone knowes him or herd about him. But his name was Neworleans AL. And he played good one pocket. But these were some of the tinker in pool. And I should but Poney Rosin in thier too. I am also going tp put Paul Jones in thier. Put thier are not to meny thinking pool players. Shane does it playing nineball. And he is a thing off beauty to watch. Nothing but talent and control.

Artie....I asked my friend Joe Nelson here in Mobile if he ever heard of New Orleans Al. He said he had played him many times and agreed that he was a good player.
His last name was either Werling or Werlein.

Joe also played many times with Heisler and Patch. He talked about Gene Fowler and Danny the Chinaman from New Orleans. And another guy named Lenny Catonio who I've never heard mentioned here.

I wish I could get Joe to start posting.......he has got a fantastic memory. As good as anyone I know. He's like Grady and Beard at remembering dates and match-ups.....Maybe one day I'll convince him to start posting.

Or, get both you and him to learn the WEI table and show some of your knowledge on how to shoot various shots.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
gbru said:
Artie....I asked my friend Joe Nelson here in Mobile if he ever heard of New Orleans Al. He said he had played him many times and agreed that he was a good player.
His last name was either Werling or Werlein.

Joe also played many times with Heisler and Patch. He talked about Gene Fowler and Danny the Chinaman from New Orleans. And another guy named Lenny Catonio who I've never heard mentioned here.

I wish I could get Joe to start posting.......he has got a fantastic memory. As good as anyone I know. He's like Grady and Beard at remembering dates and match-ups.....Maybe one day I'll convince him to start posting.

Or, get both you and him to learn the WEI table and show some of your knowledge on how to shoot various shots.
Thanke I am glad that some one new Newoleans Al. Thier were a lot of good players back then thay people didnt no. But that was then and this is now. And today is the only day that counts. THanks agsin.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Artie Bodendorfer said:
Thanke I am glad that some one new Newoleans Al. Thier were a lot of good players back then thay people didnt no. But that was then and this is now. And today is the only day that counts. THanks agsin.
If you luren to think you can figure out any shot.

jay helfert

Verified Member
Artie, I've been playing your disciple the OnePocketGhost (Luke) for the last week. Actually we've played three times for a total of about 15 hours. He is exactly three games ahead of me after all that.

We've been playing on my Diamond Pro table, so you would think I have the "home court" edge. NOT! So far it looks like he does everything better than me, Moving, Banking, End Game etc. I may run balls almost as good as him. I do have one 'eight and out' and one 'seven and out'. I've run some fives and sixes too.

Whatever I've been doing it's not enough. So when can you come out here and give me some "Chicago" style One Pocket lessons? I'm all ears.

Never too old to learn,
Jay

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
jay helfert said:
Artie, I've been playing your disciple the OnePocketGhost (Luke) for the last week. Actually we've played three times for a total of about 15 hours. He is exactly three games ahead of me after all that.

We've been playing on my Diamond Pro table, so you would think I have the "home court" edge. NOT! So far it looks like he does everything better than me, Moving, Banking, End Game etc. I may run balls almost as good as him. I do have one 'eight and out' and one 'seven and out'. I've run some fives and sixes too.

Whatever I've been doing it's not enough. So when can you come out here and give me some "Chicago" style One Pocket lessons? I'm all ears.

Never too old to learn,
Jay
Ahhhh, that explains a mystery -- he's taking in some southern CA -- mixing business & pleasure, no doubt :D :D