Trip Report West Coast Swing

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
This event is better every year and all associated with promoting The West Coast Swing outdid themselves on this one and it is not over yet. Next week the Swing moves to The Ice House in Phoenix with many of the champions in this event and a few more.

We can thank Chris Swart and California Billiards for hosting, Daniel and Geraldine from POV for the free stream, and Swing Event sponsors Tiger Products, Carmeli Cues, KD Cues (Kent Davis), Eddie Cohen Cues and others for contributing to this event. There were beautiful cues on display and also for sale along with quite a display of Tiger Products along with their cues and shafts.

The one pocket event was a whose/who of one pocket champions with the final four of Alex P, Dennis Orcullo, SVB and Tony Chohan considered by many to be among the best in the world. They all looked unbeatable at the start of the tournament. Then Tony beat SVB 4/zip to serve notice he was on his game which is unstoppable when he has it going. Alex played an almost perfect set against Dennis and got beat. Alex made one of the best outs I have ever watched with Dennis needing one ball. He rifled in a long two railer with balls spread all over the table, walking to where he knew the cue ball would be before the object ball went in, and proceeded to make an incredible out with perfect position play and a few banks in the mix. A couple of weak safeties and a break where he missed the head ball cost him the match.

The last day saw the three runnerups falter a bit, still playing better than almost anyone on the planet, but not good enough to beat T-Rex, who beat SVB 5/2 to win the tournament. This could change next week at Freezers, but Tony was the best by far here.

As far as the ten ball, which will conclude on Sunday, you have many of the best in the world competing. A host of Filipino champions, missing Efren and Busty, plus Ruslan Chinhov, Omar Al Shaheen, Billy Thorpe, Thorsten, Corey Deuel and some I missed. T-Rex and his cousin, local player Amar Kang, can also hold their own here and might go deep. If you are a rotation fan, get on the POV free stream and watch the very best race to nine in ten ball.

Thanks to California Billiards, POV and all the sponsors for this event. Can't wait til the next one.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
John-- How did Bryce Avilla do? I didn't realize he'd gotten back into pool from his poker hiatus. I'm also surprised that Chris McD. wasn't there.

~Doc

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
John-- How did Bryce Avilla do? I didn't realize he'd gotten back into pool from his poker hiatus. I'm also surprised that Chris McD. wasn't there.

~Doc

Bryce played and has been in and out of action lately. I don't know if he made the $$ round in the tournament. Chris has not been around in quite a while. I ask about him and they see him sometimes at Buffalo's in Petaluma.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Thanks for the report John!

Great to see you play even with your tough draw and great to hear you in the booth as well, you did a fine job sir!

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Thanks for the report John!

Great to see you play even with your tough draw and great to hear you in the booth as well, you did a fine job sir!

Thanks, wish I could have done more commentary with Dr. Bill. He keeps you engaged and makes you look good. I tend to wander a bit, but I do enjoy commentating.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Trip Report West Coast Swing

Thanks, wish I could have done more commentary with Dr. Bill. He keeps you engaged and makes you look good. I tend to wander a bit, but I do enjoy commentating.

You do an excellent job. Very enjoyable! Thanks.

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
what a nice, articulate, and well thought out write up. (john - didn't you used to have some kind of publication/newsletter all things billiards related west coast/cali?)

regarding commentary - of course, i'm probably somewhat biased - but think its great. as knowledgeable as anyone with some wisdomic anecdotes, stories, etc mixed in.

sounds like it was a good time...…

:)

Henry

Verified Member
Bryce played and has been in and out of action lately. I don't know if he made the $$ round in the tournament. Chris has not been around in quite a while. I ask about him and they see him sometimes at Buffalo's in Petaluma.

I played in the Sacramento Hardtimes tournament Saturday and Chris was in it he hasn't played much pool in the last few years. He was a little rusty I played him in the 2nd round and I won due more to his mistakes than my great play. It was good to see Chris.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
what a nice, articulate, and well thought out write up. (john - didn't you used to have some kind of publication/newsletter all things billiards related west coast/cali?)

regarding commentary - of course, i'm probably somewhat biased - but think its great. as knowledgeable as anyone with some wisdomic anecdotes, stories, etc mixed in.

sounds like it was a good time...…:)
John can tell you all about it. But it was a great pool publication called Cue Sports Journal. John and a partner had it going for a number of years in the early & mid '90s. Keep in mind, this was prior to the internet, so it was a must read for all pool players-- certainly in the State of Calif., as well as other parts in the West. It featured news, and also commentary and articles by Bob Jewett, Filipino Gene, and many others. I knew what date the journal bundle was delivered to my local poolroom, so I always made a point of getting there to snatch the one of the first copies off the stack.

~Doc

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
John can tell you all about it. But it was a great pool publication called Cue Sports Journal. John and a partner had it going for a number of years in the early & mid '90s. Keep in mind, this was prior to the internet, so it was a must read for all pool players-- certainly in the State of Calif., as well as other parts in the West. It featured news, and also commentary and articles by Bob Jewett, Filipino Gene, and many others. I knew what date the journal bundle was delivered to my local poolroom, so I always made a point of getting there to snatch the one of the first copies off the stack.

~Doc

Thanks Doc. I tried again a few years back with help and articles from Mary Kenniston, The Beard and Bob Jewett but could not get room owners and other pool related businesses to buy ads. Other than the few that always were supportive, most of the others thought Facebook and a website were enough. I enjoyed it very much but got tired of going in the hole every month. I could not go online and compete with people like AZ because I had a deal with them to use them for tournament results and such.

BRLongArm

Verified Member
Payouts for West Coast Challenge

Payouts for West Coast Challenge

John,

the event was great. Could you find me the payouts for the One Pocket, please? I'd like to add them to the yearly point standings to show how everyone is doing this year.

Thanks,

Joe Long

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
John,

the event was great. Could you find me the payouts for the One Pocket, please? I'd like to add them to the yearly point standings to show how everyone is doing this year.

Thanks,

Joe Long

Here they are Joe.

Attachments

• 09D976A0-9945-4E3B-A3D6-97B4B2F2CA12.jpg
    09D976A0-9945-4E3B-A3D6-97B4B2F2CA12.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 0