Truman Hogue vs. "Piggy Bank" Rogers 2001 D.C.C.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Piggy is up 2-0 in games and it's Hogue's shot this game. What would you do?

P.S. Did Truman ever in life "slow roll" a bank? He spears 'em all:eek:

CapturedPicture_4.Jpeg

John Brumback

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:

View attachment 2848

I'm not even looking for a shot here.There's an easy safe and trap to put him In. I'm shooting the 6 Into the 9 and drawing the cball back to the end rail.
From there he Is In real trouble. He'll have a hard time getting back down table from there. But knowing Truman he probably fired at something but I don't know what It would have been.I know I would love to be shooting this shot.

And no...Truman has never ever "slow rolled" a bank.At least, not since I've
known him. John B.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
What John said is probably the right shot, but if I see it right, I like these cross over banks, and you might be able to bring the cue back up table and steal a ball...

Attachments

• Greenshot_2011-04-20_07-46-57.jpg
    Greenshot_2011-04-20_07-46-57.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 0

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I'm inclined to cross the 5-ball also, but there may be a kiss in the shot.

The safety is a great move. Although if the CB doesn't draw back to the foot rail it may leave straight backs on the 2 (once the 6-9 are cleared out), or 4 ball (ball at center table).

Doc

John Brumback

Verified Member
NH Steve said:
What John said is probably the right shot, but if I see it right, I like these cross over banks, and you might be able to bring the cue back up table and steal a ball...

Steve,to me that looks like a kiss.And If that happens your dead.
Why even try that when you have a lock up safe right In front of you?
Just think how strong your position will be If you shoot my shot. It' a good Idea to try to steel a ball but I sure wouldn't try It here. The risk out weighs the reward.Same as In onepocket,uh? Truman might shoot the 5 cross corner but I don't think he would have crossed It.Knowing Truman...He probably fired It. John B.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
John Brumback said:
I'm not even looking for a shot here.There's an easy safe and trap to put him In. I'm shooting the 6 Into the 9 and drawing the cball back to the end rail.
From there he Is In real trouble. He'll have a hard time getting back down table from there. But knowing Truman he probably fired at something but I don't know what It would have been.I know I would love to be shooting this shot.

And no...Truman has never ever "slow rolled" a bank.At least, not since I've
known him. John B.
what he said:)

Banks

Verified Member
From
Portland, OR
Cowboy Dennis said:

View attachment 2848

The 5 looks doable, but I usually take that kind of shot with heavy low-inside to avoid the kiss.. that 4 or whatever it is looks a bit easier, though, since he wouldn't have to juice up the CB as much. Although, for a rocket of a shot, I'd be more inclined to hit the 5 with that speed.. still, I'm probably wrong so I'll guess the 4 back to him.

(Staying up too late and going to work in the morning is my life.)

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
No roll

No roll

John Brumback said:
Steve,to me that looks like a kiss.And If that happens your dead.
Why even try that when you have a lock up safe right In front of you?
Just think how strong your position will be If you shoot my shot. It' a good Idea to try to steel a ball but I sure wouldn't try It here. The risk out weighs the reward.Same as In onepocket,uh? Truman might shoot the 5 cross corner but I don't think he would have crossed It.Knowing Truman...He probably fired It. John B.

I agree with the safety. Nothing wrong there. But Truman probably shot the 5 whiz bang cross corner. If youre feeling good, it aint the worst thing you can do.
When it's the first shot of the game, I usually choose to shoot at something. Much as I love to squeeze, first shot of the game I would probably fire at the 5.

Beard

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
androd said:
If I wasn't playing safe, this seems the best choice for me.;)
Rod.

The 4 ball straight-back looked like the shot to me as well, I was very surprised when he banked the 5 ball instead (he made it). He scratched on it as often happens on that shot if not struck with enough draw.

TH's Shot.jpg

Banks

Verified Member
From
Portland, OR
Cowboy Dennis said:
The 4 ball straight-back looked like the shot to me as well, I was very surprised when he banked the 5 ball instead (he made it). He scratched on it as often happens on that shot if not struck with enough draw.

View attachment 2861

I learned to hit that one with the low inside for a few reasons, that one included. Usually I get stuck with a ball just a little too far for a cut into the side or not far enough for a cut down the rail. The bank with the low inside, you don't have to cut it as much, so it's easier to avoid the kiss and the inside helps the rebound off the opposite rail.

Taking that 5 first also makes the table pretty friendly if you make it. Unfortunately, it's not his to be friendly for after that scratch. :( Those few balls(9 4 3) sitting along the side look like a buffet with that pocket opened now.. woulda had some nice options had he keep it on the table.

John Brumback

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:

View attachment 2861

That shot can be made without all that draw. I can hold that shot and have my cueball go to the end rail.It just takes center right english. But still, you couldn't hold a gun to my head and make me shoot that shot unless I was In a ring game.I'm shooting Into the 6 with low right spin, cueball goes Into the rail and spins back to the bottom rail or close to It. Now let them go ahead and fire away.If they do shoot, their shot Is going to be extra hard because of the fear
of selling out the next shot. IMHO anyway.John B.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Cowboy Dennis said:

View attachment 2861
i must admit to you guys i didnt think the 5 could go from there:eek: :eek:
i learned something:)

blackeee

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Tn
Banks said:
I learned to hit that one with the low inside for a few reasons, that one included. Usually I get stuck with a ball just a little too far for a cut into the side or not far enough for a cut down the rail. The bank with the low inside, you don't have to cut it as much, so it's easier to avoid the kiss and the inside helps the rebound off the opposite rail.

Taking that 5 first also makes the table pretty friendly if you make it. Unfortunately, it's not his to be friendly for after that scratch. :( Those few balls(9 4 3) sitting along the side look like a buffet with that pocket opened now.. woulda had some nice options had he keep it on the table.

Don't think that bank can be made with low inside.It already wants to long and inside is gonna make it go longer. I hit it like John does; center right.

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
blackeee said:
Don't think that bank can be made with low inside.It already wants to long and inside is gonna make it go longer. I hit it like John does; center right.

right is inside/reverse, in this situation

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
CaliRed said:
right is inside/reverse, in this situation
:confused: :confused:
if im shooting the 5 ball bank
to me right hand english on the cue ball is outside english and left hand english is inside english

inside english or left english on the cue ball would put right hand english (running) on the 5 and make it go long.

i think that was what blackee was trying to say???

John Brumback

Verified Member
lll said:
:confused: :confused:
if im shooting the 5 ball bank
to me right hand english on the cue ball is outside english and left hand english is inside english

inside english or left english on the cue ball would put right hand english (running) on the 5 and make it go long.

i think that was what blackee was trying to say???

Cali Red Is right but what he's calling (reverse) means to (hold) the shot.
right hand english on this shot Is going to shortin the object ball up.
Left english on this shot will make the object ball go long.(you don't want that)
I'm not sure how your getting this confused?? What gives??LOL John B.

Hint: this shot can be made without any draw.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
John Brumback said:
Cali Red Is right but what he's calling (reverse) means to (hold) the shot.
right hand english on this shot Is going to shortin the object ball up.
Left english on this shot will make the object ball go long.(you don't want that)
I'm not sure how your getting this confused?? What gives??LOL John B.

Hint: this shot can be made without any draw.
we are all on the same page regarding the spin on the cue ball what that will do to the object ball and what effect that will do to the bank(lenghthen or shoten) :)

my confusion was i thought greg was referring to right hand english on the CUE BALL being inside /reverese( for the cue ball).
thats what caused my confusion
i did not understand he was referring to the right hand english on the cueball would cause holding english on the object ball.which is correct
now there is no confusion:)