Tush hog from Dallas

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Truth police

Truth police

BillPorter said:
The person you are referring to was Robert Clayton Burrell. He was also known as Georgia Slim. I knew him pretty well and took one road trip with him and Vernon to Monroe, Louisiana. I think Slim played a young man named Johnny Sheppard, but I'm not sure of that name. Slim couldn't beat him and we went back to Dallas with no net profit.

I still recall being in Slim's apartment when he unwrapped a brand new Rambo pool cue he had just gotten in the mail from Herman Rambo. The cue had two shafts and cost Slim a whopping $35!

You had to be pretty swift to beat those lights on the side of the building. And even "swift" wasn't enough if the bet was high enough because someone found a way to hack the wiring of those lights and they could be sped up enough so that even Usain Bolt wouldn't have beat the lights around to the front of the building.

We are now all about the "truth" on this pristine forum, so I must interject this disclaimer of the price of a Rambo with two shafts. You are exaggerating greatly the cheapness of a Rambo cue back then. Rambo never sold a butt and two shafts for $35. His maintained price for such was actually $39, a tremendous $4 difference! I spent much time in his shop and bought many of his $39 dollar ones and turned around and resold them for a quick $100.
You must be very careful with your facts around here, and even then there are those who will call you out with no evidence whatsoever but their own jaded, agenda-driven opinions, just like politicians.
I knew Slim Burroughs (sp?) from Le Cue, and then Ye Billiard Den where I played him. He was with Little Hand. Is that the Burrell you are talking about? A very personable fellow. Pretty sure its the same guy.

Beard

SJDinPHX

Suspended
The "Truth Police" have backed off for quite some time now, but the extreme paranoia remains...'Sup wi dat ?

Happy Fathers day Fred..

Last edited:

BillPorter

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
fred bentivegna said:
We are now all about the "truth" on this pristine forum, so I must interject this disclaimer of the price of a Rambo with two shafts. You are exaggerating greatly the cheapness of a Rambo cue back then. Rambo never sold a butt and two shafts for $35. His maintained price for such was actually $39, a tremendous $4 difference! I spent much time in his shop and bought many of his $39 dollar ones and turned around and resold them for a quick $100.
You must be very careful with your facts around here, and even then there are those who will call you out with no evidence whatsoever but their own jaded, agenda-driven opinions, just like politicians.
I knew Slim Burroughs (sp?) from Le Cue, and then Ye Billiard Den where I played him. He was with Little Hand. Is that the Burrell you are talking about? A very personable fellow. Pretty sure its the same guy.

Beard
Fred, if you knew Slim, and if it is the same Slim I knew, you'd know his last name was Burrell. Full name, Robert Clayton Burrell. Just check the list of pool player nicknames at Onepocket.org and you'll see Robert Burrell with the nicknamme "Georgia Slim." Here is the link: http://onepocket.org/Nicknames.htm The Slim I am talking about was from Georgia, he was tall, stooped shoulders, wore glasses, hair mostly white.

As for the $35 price, that is what Slim told me he paid for the cue. Maybe he lied or maybe he got a discount, but that's what he told me. But maybe you saw the invoice on that particular cue? Did it have Slim's full name on it?:D

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
$39, I seen the invoice

$39, I seen the invoice

BillPorter said:
Fred, if you knew Slim, and if it is the same Slim I knew, you'd know his last name was Burrell. Full name, Robert Clayton Burrell. Just check the list of pool player nicknames at Onepocket.org and you'll see Robert Burrell with the nicknamme "Georgia Slim." Here is the link: http://onepocket.org/Nicknames.htm The Slim I am talking about was from Georgia, he was tall, stooped shoulders, wore glasses, hair mostly white.

As for the $35 price, that is what Slim told me he paid for the cue. Maybe he lied or maybe he got a discount, but that's what he told me. But maybe you saw the invoice on that particular cue? Did it have Slim's full name on it?:D

Herman Rambo did not give out discounts. He discouraged most people from buying a cue in the first place.

Burrell and Burroughs sound much the same. I actually never seen Slims name in print so I cant say. I also cant even remember what he looked like, just that he had a rep for playing top-notch bank pool. Androd thinks like me about the Burroughs spelling thing. Did he spend time with Little Hand? And did he have a bank rep? Your Slim? I also remember that he (my Slim) spent time around Eddie Taylor. Gotta be the same guy.

Beard

BillPorter

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
fred bentivegna said:
Herman Rambo did not give out discounts. He discouraged most people from buying a cue in the first place.

Burrell and Burroughs sound much the same. I actually never seen Slims name in print so I cant say. I also cant even remember what he looked like, just that he had a rep for playing top-notch bank pool. Androd thinks like me about the Burroughs spelling thing. Did he spend time with Little Hand? And did he have a bank rep? Your Slim? I also remember that he (my Slim) spent time around Eddie Taylor. Gotta be the same guy.

Beard
I don't recall Slim having a rep as a bank pool player, though being from the South, he could probably bank a ball or two. When I knew him and was around him (1962-1963), Little Hand (Louis Bramlett) was not around. Guess we'll just assume it was the same "Slim," not that anyone really cares.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
BillPorter said:
I don't recall Slim having a rep as a bank pool player, though being from the South, he could probably bank a ball or two. When I knew him and was around him (1962-1963), Little Hand (Louis Bramlett) was not around. Guess we'll just assume it was the same "Slim," not that anyone really cares.

Yes it was the same guy. Played good banks and very good left handed. Cannonball offered him 8/4 playing one pocket or 8/5 playing banks," off handed". Slim took 8/5 playing banks and won easily. The Rambo cues were $35 to players and $39 to hackers. Freddie was born to pay retail. :) LOL

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Fuggidaboudit!

Fuggidaboudit!

BillPorter said:
You just made my day! Thanks.:)

I used to hang in Rambos shop and pump him for stories about the old champions. I couldnt play at all at the time but he thought I was a top player. I used to tell him that I had a big tournament coming up and I would need a cue to play in it. I did that about once a month. He was 90 years old and never remembered that I had just had one made.

They were $39 fellas! The next price jump went to $49, mainly to try and discourage people from buying cues. He hated to make cues for rail beaters.

Beard

BillPorter

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
fred bentivegna said:
I used to hang in Rambos shop and pump him for stories about the old champions. I couldnt play at all at the time but he thought I was a top player. I used to tell him that I had a big tournament coming up and I would need a cue to play in it. I did that about once a month. He was 90 years old and never remembered that I had just had one made.

They were $39 fellas! The next price jump went to $49, mainly to try and discourage people from buying cues. He hated to make cues for rail beaters.

Beard
OK, it's all cool Freddy....We'll just agree to disagree....You got 'um for $39 while Slim, Rod, and I got 'um for $35. :D :D :D

BillPorter

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
fred bentivegna said:

Beard
How long are we going to keep misspelling Rambow's name? Can't believe I'm getting this sloppy about my spelling, but there it is. Anyway, you said Rambow was 90 when you were in his shop ... how old were you at the time? 40?:D

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
You got me

You got me

BillPorter said:
How long are we going to keep misspelling Rambow's name? Can't believe I'm getting this sloppy about my spelling, but there it is. Anyway, you said Rambow was 90 when you were in his shop ... how old were you at the time? 40?:D

For me to confuse the great master with the Philly dunce, Stallone, is unforgiveable. Plus this forum is just getting too tuff. SJD, Dennis, Androd and now you, Bill. I was in my early 20s. Herman the German, if he wasnt 90 he was close. Here's some Rambow trivia nobody will ever get. You all have seen his signature on many of his cues up near the joint. There were two people who signed the butts with Rambow's name, Herman himself and who else? George Fels knows for sure, so he must recuse himself from the search. Here is a hint that probably wont help, he was the official scorekeeper for the PGA tour. He kept all the scores on the leader board in freehand. Another hint that wont help, his name was Charlie..........? The super fancy "Herman Rambow" signature was not done by the old man. His was the shitty, scratchy one.

Beard

BillPorter

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
fred bentivegna said:
For me to confuse the great master with the Philly dunce, Stallone, is unforgiveable. Plus this forum is just getting too tuff. SJD, Dennis, Androd and now you, Bill. I was in my early 20s. Herman the German, if he wasnt 90 he was close. Here's some Rambow trivia nobody will ever get. You all have seen his signature on many of his cues up near the joint. There were two people who signed the butts with Rambow's name, Herman himself and who else? George Fels knows for sure, so he must recuse himself from the search. Here is a hint that probably wont help, he was the official scorekeeper for the PGA tour. He kept all the scores on the leader board in freehand. Another hint that wont help, his name was Charlie..........? The super fancy "Herman Rambow" signature was not done by the old man. His was the shitty, scratchy one.

Beard
Gee, I thought everyone knew that Charlie Kimmel did those signatures!:)

SJDinPHX

Suspended
BillPorter said:

I was never a big cue stick guy. I owned a few Rambow's over the years, but I either won them or bought them used, and they either got stolen, lost, or lost in a gambling match.

The first new cue I ever ordered, was from George Balabushka himself, over the phone. It had to be about 1960, give or take a few years. It came COD, a few months later, and I remember the amount $135.60. (which included shipping)

I did like the way it hit, and it was my player for about the next 5 yrs...I hit a rough spot (AKA, got broke) and sold/hocked it to Chester Truelove in OK City.
Which I felt was OK, as they had not yet cost a lot more than that new at the time. Saw Chester at a tournament, in Baton Rouge in 1998. He still had the cue. We kidded around a little, but obviously, the statute of limitations prevented me from redeeming it. LOL

Lo and behold, a few months ago, I get a PM from a gentlemen (cue collector) who sent pic's, and asked me to verify, what Chester was telling him about the history of the cue, as he was thinking of purchasing it.
I said I would, if he would just tell me what he was going to pay for it. He did wind up buying it...For $14,500..:eek:

C'est la vie, you dumb Duck

PS..I had one other Bushka, which got stolen in El Paso, soon after I won it from some guy (?) Late 60's...It was a little fancier, and it somehow wound up in the Glenn Family Collection, (largest collection of collector cues in the world, I believe)
One day, I asked Steve Glenn to give me a price on it, which he did...I fainted. After I came to,...Steve was gone.

Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Ok, Bill, I give.

Ok, Bill, I give.

BillPorter said:
Gee, I thought everyone knew that Charlie Kimmel did those signatures!:)

That's it! That was the final straw! Im gonna quit f'n with you too! If this keeps up I am going to put myself on Ignore.

Beard

$39,$39,$39,$39!

BillPorter

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
fred bentivegna said:
That's it! That was the final straw! Im gonna quit f'n with you too! If this keeps up I am going to put myself on Ignore.

Beard

$39,$39,$39,$39!
Thanks for making me chuckle out loud, Fred. I rarely do that when reading a post. Don't worry, I am hardly ever over here on this forum and rarely post on any forum these days.

And listen, of all the really low down pool degenerates I have known over the past 50 years, you are definitely one of my favorites!:D :D

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
fred bentivegna said:

Beard

$39,$39,$39,$39!

Hey, I'm trying to drink beer here, I'm tired of spilling it on myself as I laugh.

Freddy, you can't "ignore" yourself...can you?

Cowboy "stop makin' me laugh" Dennis

SJDinPHX

Suspended
fred bentivegna said:

Beard

Outstanding...Excellent idea !!!.:p :p :p

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Thank you

Thank you

BillPorter said:
Thanks for making me chuckle out loud, Fred. I rarely do that when reading a post. Don't worry, I am hardly ever over here on this forum and rarely post on any forum these days.

And listen, of all the really low down pool degenerates I have known over the past 50 years, you are definitely one of my favorites!:D :D

Bill, I certainly take that as a compliment. How the frick did you come up with Charlie Kimmel? He's been dead for 30 years. He had the worlds greatest handwriting. For sure!

Beard

Played shortstop speed, Billiards, one pocket and straight pool. Tough to beat.

BillPorter

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
fred bentivegna said:
[/B]

Bill, I certainly take that as a compliment. How the frick did you come up with Charlie Kimmel? He's been dead for 30 years. He had the worlds greatest handwriting. For sure!

Beard

Played shortstop speed, Billiards, one pocket and straight pool. Tough to beat.
Yes indeed, it was a compliment Fred.

As for how I came up with Charlie Kimmel (He hasn't been dead for quite 30 years; he died on September 26, 1990 at Lutheran General Hospital, Park Ridge. He was 88.), remember that I was a college prof. for 30+ years and can still do a bit of research when prodded to do so. I was pleased to be able to post the answer within 5 minutes of you posting the question. Just put "Charlie PGA scorekeeper" in a Google search and read down about 5 hits and there he is. You just gave away too many hints.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I feel better now

I feel better now

BillPorter said:
Yes indeed, it was a compliment Fred.

As for how I came up with Charlie Kimmel (He hasn't been dead for quite 30 years; he died on September 26, 1990 at Lutheran General Hospital, Park Ridge. He was 88.), remember that I was a college prof. for 30+ years and can still do a bit of research when prodded to do so. I was pleased to be able to post the answer within 5 minutes of you posting the question. Just put "Charlie PGA scorekeeper" in a Google search and read down about 5 hits and there he is. You just gave away too many hints.

I thought you had come up with that from off the top of your head. That would have been some esoteric shit. I wonder how many cue collectors know the signature difference, maybe Denny Glenn. A Kimmel cue should be worth at least double.

Beard