US Open One Pocket in May VEGAS

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
Mark Griffin just announced the dates and some info for this event.

copied from the other forum.

Mark Griffin said:
CSI will be bringing back the US OPEN ONE POCKET event. $300 entry, at least $10,000 added (limited to either 32 or 48 players). This is the 11th time of this prestigious event and we are making this an annual event from now on. Held May 13-15, 2011 (Fri-Sat-Sun).

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
SactownTom said:

I think this a good time of year for this -- a real nice offset from DCC both in the dates, and in the location. I hope to go...

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
It is planned for the weekend prior to the US Open 10 tournament which may have a limited field of 96 players.

I might have to meander on down to Vegas for a long weekend... I konw some of those 10 ball players think they can play One Pocket...

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
SactownTom said:

Hey GREAT; this will be right after the WORLD CUP 3 Cushion Billiard tournament 04/04-10/2011. All the TOP American, European, Asian and Latin players will be in attendence!

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
I will be doing my best to be there and hope to meet up with some of you guys for a beer or 10. Good to hear that Mark is putting this on, heard about it around a week ago and I wanted to make it public so bad but figured Mark was better to do the honors. I do hope the event is live streamed by TAR for those of you who cannot make it to LV. :)

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
jtompilot said:
Thats good news. But come on man, where's the history, bring it back to Michigan :mad: Then I could watch:D

Props to Tim White...he was the one who originally cared enough, and revived the tournament at his pool room in Kalamazoo about 3 or 4 years ago...due to unfortunate events he had to close his room, or he probably would have kept having the tournament.

- Ghost

PS, The Ghost played in it, and came in in third place :eek: losing to Richie Richeson hill-hill in the hot seat match - Richie went on to win the tournament.

Last edited:

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
One Pocket Ghost said:
Props to Tim White...he was the one who originally cared enough, and revived the tournament at his pool room in Kalamazoo about three years ago...due to unfortunate events he had to close his room, or he probably would have kept having the tournament.

- Ghost

PS, The Ghost played in it, and came in in third place :eek: losing to Richie Richeson hill-hill in the hot seat match - Richie went on to win the tournament.
Damn, looks like Dick is going to need 10-6! :eek:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Fast Lenny said:
Damn, looks like Dick is going to need 10-6! :eek:

No way...problem is, for the big $$$ that Papie and I are playing for, I won't be able to make a ball - I'm a $30-$50 a game player...:eek:...smart money will bet against me, playing Papie...;)

- Ghosty

PS, I hope Bernie doesn't see this post - it'll make him real nervous...:D

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
SactownTom said:
Mark Griffin just announced the dates and some info for this event. copied from the other forum.Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Griffin:
CSI will be bringing back the US OPEN ONE POCKET event. $300 entry, at least $10,000 added (limited to either 32 or 48 players). This is the 11th time of this prestigious event and we are making this an annual event from now on. Held May 13-15, 2011 (Fri-Sat-Sun).
This is great news. I was just wondering the other day if the U.S. Open 1P would ever be held again.

Since there seems to be a surge of interest in 1P of late, I'm sure he'll fill up. I'd like to play it myself. The problem is, if he limits it to only 32 or 48 players, the field will be real deep with knuckle-dragging sharp shooters.:eek: I played the one in 2006 at the Executive West, where I think there were 80-100 players. I didn't play the Qlympics the next year. It was a small field. Galveston had about 80 players.

He may be limiting the field because he doesn't want to take more than a dozen or so tables out to Vegas. The races used to be to 5, so each match can occupy a table for awhile.

Anyway, I'm sure there will be lots more discussion about the event!

Doc

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
One Pocket Ghost said:
...PS, The Ghost played in it, and came in in third place :eek: losing to Richie Richeson hill-hill in the hot seat match - Richie went on to win the tournament.
Almost beating Richeson, and taking 3rd place?! And you're the guy who's offering old Doc a niggardly little 10-8 spot??? Ghost, you ought to be ashamed of yourself...:rolleyes:

Doc

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
gulfportdoc said:
Almost beating Richeson, and taking 3rd place?! And you're the guy who's offering old Doc a niggardly little 10-8 spot??? Ghost, you ought to be ashamed of yourself...:rolleyes:

Doc

Yeah, but truth be told, no pro-level players showed up for the tournament...just B players and shortstops.

- Ghosty

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
gulfportdoc said:

Doc

He matches up pretty snugly Doc. I'll bet this old man can't even get 9/8. He already has me nutted up in a partner match where his partner is almost as good as he is. I'll just have to go for my hole and hope for the best.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
jrhendy said:
He matches up pretty snugly Doc. I'll bet this old man can't even get 9/8. He already has me nutted up in a partner match where his partner is almost as good as he is. I'll just have to go for my hole and hope for the best.

I told you already, you can't lull me to sleep with that ol' soft con of yours :rolleyes: I been around too long...and just in case Bernie might still be a little bit innocent and could fall for some of your patter - I'll make sure to have a talk with him, and warn him about an old accomplished con man/hustler like yourself...:cool:

- Ghosty

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
One Pocket Ghost said:
I told you already, you can't lull me to sleep with that ol' soft con of yours :rolleyes: I been around too long...and just in case Bernie might still be a little bit innocent and could fall for some of your patter - I'll make sure to have a talk with him, and warn him about an old accomplished con man/hustler like yourself...:cool:

- Ghosty

He has beat me twice on his own without help from you. I just like donating to fine upstanding players like yourself.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
jrhendy said:
Well, you can always hope that for the match, one or both of them has the flu...

Doc

stljohnny

Verified Member
From
St. Louis, MO
gulfportdoc said:
This is great news. I was just wondering the other day if the U.S. Open 1P would ever be held again.

Since there seems to be a surge of interest in 1P of late, I'm sure he'll fill up. I'd like to play it myself. The problem is, if he limits it to only 32 or 48 players, the field will be real deep with knuckle-dragging sharp shooters.:eek: I played the one in 2006 at the Executive West, where I think there were 80-100 players. I didn't play the Qlympics the next year. It was a small field. Galveston had about 80 players.

He may be limiting the field because he doesn't want to take more than a dozen or so tables out to Vegas. The races used to be to 5, so each match can occupy a table for awhile.

Anyway, I'm sure there will be lots more discussion about the event!

Doc

I would agree that 1P seems to be making a good public push. I see a lot of younger guys playing it nowadays - at least in my neck of the woods. So 32/48 max players does seem to be a pretty small field, that's surprising.

I hope it's streamed somewhere; I can't possibly make it to Vegas, but I'll buy the stream in a heartbeat!

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
stljohnny said:
I would agree that 1P seems to be making a good public push. I see a lot of younger guys playing it nowadays - at least in my neck of the woods. So 32/48 max players does seem to be a pretty small field, that's surprising.

I hope it's streamed somewhere; I can't possibly make it to Vegas, but I'll buy the stream in a heartbeat!

So Johnny where is your neck of the woods? I play atlease once a year at cue and cushon. Some times at the break.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
One Pocket Ghost said:
Yeah, but truth be told, no pro-level players showed up for the tournament...just B players and shortstops.

- Ghosty

Thats the same thing JR (Leil Gay) told me when he won it:rolleyes:

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
gulfportdoc said:
Well, you can always hope that for the match, one or both of them has the flu...

Doc

I am just giggin the Ghost a little here Doc. I like the game and think if I play my game I will get the cheese.

Ghost & I are close to even. Bernie beat me playing even and won one game giving me a ball in a short session. I quit to play Preacher Ronn, who I lost to.

Being your own partner and shooting every other shot while they are shooting every fourth shot should be worth a ball to ball and a half, so on paper I think I have the edge.

Being my own partner didn't work out too well in Galveston against Artie & Billy, but I am playing better now than I was then. Will be fun either way, but if I win I will have a thousand to parlay somewhere.