Ventura Fires

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Jerry, hope you and yours are safe.

Please forgive me for my ignorance on this, but can someone explain why Cali. has droughts? It seems an area so close to the ocean It is isn’t it? would have plenty of rain. I’ve often wondered this~T

It could also be the dynamics of hot/cold collision, with it being hotter now than 50 years ago, along with the concrete pavement/car heat. My son in law, born raised in Huntinigton Beach said, we never had Air conditioning in S. Cal, but Now its a must.

Add in the heat from the city, the ''hold back'' of air is real. Shoreline heat, when confronting the cool 4-5,000 foot deep up-welling waters of the Pacific....when these two temperature/fronts collide, much like the front range does now in CO you got WEATHER.

I was there, in Manhattan Beach area on my 65th birthday watching my daughter play soccer.

Being from CO it was ODD....sunny day early afternoon if I remember.

I noticed this LARGE....Thunderhead cumulonimbus Cloud , south of us about 10 miles, coming....Up the BEACH.

That caught my eye, seeing as how I live on the Front range of the Rockies and in May I had a similar thing happen.

This storm moved from the South/Pueblo to the north along the front range, then hit Cheyenne Mtn. Norad Hill so tah speak, well shortly thereafter, I got 24 inches of hail piled up on the S side of my home in 16 minutes.

Manhattan area....
The cloud head kept heading towards us, all of a sudden Boom, lighting hit the beach.

When I heard that boom, I immediately got off my STEEL bleacher seat and moved inside. Others, they just kept texting and never looked up.

Later that day that cloud made the news, many got injured and one killed from the lighting strike. It was July around 7-23-25 2014. It def. made the news, killing a beach goer, middle of the day.