Walter Tevis Documentary

BrookelandBilly

Verified Member
From
Fair Oaks Ranch, Texas
On Tuesday October 5 at 8:00 PM my local PBS television station (San Antonio) will air a one hour documentary on the life of Walter Tevis. I don’t think I need to go into any detail of who he was with this crowd.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi

Didn't realize he taught at NKU and Ohio University...
Yeah, he taught creative writing at Ohio U. in Athens, Ohio ("Harvard on the Hocking") from 1965 to 1977. Coincidentally I was born in 1944 in Athens at Sheltering Arms Hospital, and spent many summers with my grandparents at their place in The Plains, just south of Athens.

His widow, Jamie Griggs Tevis, wrote a biography of their marriage called My Life With a Hustler, published in 2003 by GreatUnpublished.com. It's a great read for Tevis fans, although there is a lot of family stuff which won't be of interest to most. I wrote a letter to his widow telling her how much I enjoyed her book. Can't remember if she replied.

Tevis was actually a very fine writer, penning not only The Hustler, but also The Man Who Fell to Earth, The Color of Money, and The Queen's Gambit-- all of which were made into movies.

"My Life" is hard to come by, although it looks as if it's downloadable at https://www.euro-book.net/books. 266 pages, with some interesting pictures.

BrookelandBilly

Verified Member
From
Fair Oaks Ranch, Texas
ALERT…For whatever reason the American Masters series on Walter Tevis was replaced with the Rita Moreno’s story at the San Antonio PBS affiliate BUT if you Google American Masters Walter Tevis his story appears and you can play it on your computer. This is Hispanic Americans month and that may explain the substitution.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
ALERT…For whatever reason the American Masters series on Walter Tevis was replaced with the Rita Moreno’s story at the San Antonio PBS affiliate BUT if you Google American Masters Walter Tevis his story appears and you can play it on your computer. This is Hispanic Americans month and that may explain the substitution.
Can't seem to find it. I'll check some other sources...

BrookelandBilly

Verified Member
From
Fair Oaks Ranch, Texas
Could you get it to play from that link?
I pulled it up on my iPad and on my Fire Stick Doc. On your computer or iPad make sure you are matched up with your local PBS affiliat. On Fire Stick you need to go to search and type in Walter Tevis. It an interesting bio about his persona and psyche. A man of letters and demons in the sense of his literary accomplishments and his bout with alcohol. The Queens Gambit was a well received seven part series on NETFLIX.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Thanks, guys. I couldn't get it to play last night, but I'll try 'er again tonight. I use a VPN, so maybe that screws up recognizing my "local" affiliate.

beatle

Verified Member
doc martin was a great series. i was sad when it ended. had to find dvd's at the library to get the total package .