Watching giants

Ross Keith Thompson

Verified Member
From
madisonville, texas
I was a good player back in the day and played some good matches here and there, but there was one match that really sticks out in my memory.

It was as impressive match I believe I've seen in my life. It was Johnston City 1970. The two heavy weights were none other than Cole Dickson (MY BUDDY, LOL) and One Eyed Tony, I believe from Oklahoma.

What a match these two warriors put on back in both of their prime. I watched in amazement what Cole did to Tony. Cole ran racks for three straight hours, 4 pack after 4 pack, and then more 4 packs.

Unbelievable display of precision nine ball at its best. Tony now 1200 loser at 40 a game, "that's 30 games" here comes Tony with a 5 or 6 pack after being destroyed for 3 hours. Man did that guy have some heart, I would have folded an hour before, lol.

But Tony didn't fold, in fact he destroyed Cole the next 3 hours and I watched the entire match every game.

I already knew what Cole could do, he did it to me when I was only 16. But that was the first time I had seen One Eyed Tony play and I'm not ever going to say I was a better nine ball player than Tony for he showed he belonged and he hung as tough as I've seen to date.

He was a massive load at nine ball and I'm glad I never ran into him on the road! Come to think about it, I don't think anybody wanted to play him, hell I know nobody wanted any of his action.

I had only heard a few stories about him and that was it, but believe me people he was all that you ever heard and more. I've never seen anyone play any better, he was a monster in every sense of the word.

How could anyone play that good with only one eye, LOL.

He was slim like most players were, LOL, had slightly long very dark hair and had the appearance of a pirate with that black patch over his eye, haha.

After watching that match I knew I had to practice a hell of a lot more to match the way they played, actually the match might have been 10 hours, I don't know. Time wasn't a big deal to a hustler, that's all he had was time, lol.

But One eyed Tony needs a trophy on a mantle somewhere for I've seen his business on a pool table and it was something to behold!

Both of these guys were in the zone, Cole started it and Tony finished it. They both walked and pecking order was not established. I've seen some top matches in my days in the pool rooms, but you have to be in the places they might play and if you ever get to see a match like that it's truly amazing.

When Tall Jeff came to Johnston City in 1971 it was like he had Lepracy. He had played Jim Rempe in the 9 ball division and ran 8 or 9 straight racks on Rempe. Jeff couldn't get a roll the rest of the match and lost the match. Rempe didn't run over 2 racks at a time and wound up winning the match.

Who cares Jeff lost the match, it was the fact that he ran 8-9 racks his first shot, man is that scary. I don't believe any one played him nine ball that year, he was playing as good of 9 ball as anybody their!

I believe the only thing he played was one pocket, nobody wanted any of that 8 rack sh-t including me. I knew what he was capable of and you really don't want to be on the receiving end of that kind of talent.

I've seen two people run 8 racks or more, Tall Jeff and Irving Crane. I know other people have done this and at least eleven racks.

But I did see these two do it like another day at the job.

Very impressive WATCHING GIANTS.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
keith
I always enjoy reading your memories
keep them coming...:)
jeff sparks = 8 pack......:eek:..:eek:..:eek:..great shooting jeff...:)

beatle

Verified Member
if the match went a long time cole generally lost. he either didnt have the patience or somehow lost his way after a time. so the other guy had to run out of money or quit unless cole was stealing. but most times as he was so much better that he was stealing.

Ross Keith Thompson

Verified Member
From
madisonville, texas
Tony/dickson

Tony/dickson

Cole got Tony 1200 hundred loser at 40 a game, talk about shooting holes in somebody, Cole was amazing for 3 hours, but Tony turned around and did the same thing to Cole and got even.

I knew it was going to happen like Beatle said. He wore Cole out, but Cole did make him earn it. Cole quit when he got even and I agreed with it.

When you see a match of that magnitude you tend to want to watch it just to see where your pecking order is, LOL.