Water Dog....Player

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
When I lived in S. Cal. 76-81, I found out How the gypsies/men dressed so nice. Their lady would find a mark, go to their place and doo the full monty. While their mark was fast asleep ( their score Had to be the same size as her man) she would rob em of all his nice cloths. Not something the police would follow up on. I learned this when I saw the Same group in Chicago, and then saw em in the Winter in Long Beach Cal. at Paramount Billiards. Adam Brostoskis' place. loved that man. He and I almost opened up a Final room together, tho he balked at $800 a month rent. He knew how to pinch a buck. His sons Company was/still is, the supplier for all the pool tables seen on Price is Right.
So the gals would ball some guys so that their men could dress nicely. That's commitment!!..😄

JimmyD

I believe he is from Waterbury, CT not Watertown which is a small town right next to Waterbury. Waterbury now, is a city of about 110,000 with not a single pool room.

Back in the day there was anywhere from 5-10 poolrooms give or take.

Eddie Kelly is also from Waterbury, but left at an early age, around 16. He grew up on Baldwin St. which had a strong Irish enclave.
He is a BCA Hall of Famer as we all know.

Larry Lisciotti is originally from New Hampshire and grew up in Manchester, CT about 45 minutes from Waterbury. Not sure how much time he spent in Waterbury.

He is also deserving of BCA Hall of Fame status and I believe is on the Veterans shortlist. If anyone has communications with the Hall of Fame committee campaign for Larry.

He and Eddie Kelly are the two finest players to come out of CT and both world champions.

Not sure about Port Chester Mickey, but again it was probably time in Waterbury not Watertown.
Did you know Mickey back in the sixties? He was on and off heroin back then but would clean up now and then and go on the road with the Novak brothers.

baby huey

Verified Member
Bigfoot, Waterodg was not a One Pocket player per se'. Of course anybody that could shoot as straight as him would always be a threat playing OP. I think that he was so full of drugs and alcohol that he couldn't sit still long enough to have the patience for the game. He was a fireball wanting to shoot balls and that's why he excelled at 14.1 and 9 ball. Back in the 60's and 70's we saw so many young players (like you) develop their games to a high skill level mostly playing the above games that OP kinda to a back seat from its early days of the 50's and early 60's. Only RA and a few other old timers kept it alive so to speak in big money matches. Even our own Dr. Bill didn't play much OP until he aged a little LOL. I love to talk about the players of our respective past and WATERDOG clearly meets the criteria of a LEGEND in his own time.

jay helfert

Verified Member
Good story, and it sounds just like Jack. He was one of those guys that you get to meet once or twice in a lifetime. He knew all the games, including 3C, and played all well. He took things as they came, rolled with the punches, and never regretted anything. He looked a little like Tony Bennett, don't you think?
His best game was snooker. He liked to play with only six reds. I got staked to play him for 50 a game by old man Sunshine from New York. We played at Mothers on Fairfax Ave. in Hollywood. I didn't want to play but he insisted I play him. I lost four games in a row and Sunshine gave me hell for losing. Last time I ever had (or wanted) a backer.

Reactions: lll