We lose another one- Monster John has passed

Fsutton

Monster John

Monster John

John was a good friend of mine for the few years that I was stationed in South Florida (2007-2009). I walked into that pool room so green and after taking a lesson from him he just took me under his wing and we became friends. I use to drive up from Homestead every two days I had off to go to Hollywood Billiards(now closed) which was my home away from home. Many hours were spent watching John play one pocket and banks. He instilled in me a love for Banks that still resonates with me today. We went out for dinner or lunch almost everyday we were up there and I always tried to be nice. If I bought him a little lunch or dinner it was a small price to pay for having an audience with a man that had done and see a lot in his time. We drove all around Florida going to 9-Ball Tournaments were I was his mini tournament backer sometimes. Those were great times that I will always cherish. I was so thankful to be hanging out with a truly great pool player, a good man, a good friend and a real character. I knew when John extended his friendship to me that I had better take it because for me he represented the pool player of old; back when they were true seasoned characters, and frankly he was one of the last of a dying breed cause they just don't make pool players like that anymore. He was one of the best bank players I ever saw play the game and he taught me everything I know about the game. He was a world class bite artist and I admired his skill at this. He truly was a hustler because he knew how to hustle up some money. Many great times were spent at the Dog Track in Hollywood - maybe more than the pool room. It was so much fun even when we lost. I'll never forget the sight of John cursing and tearing up his bad tickets. LOL. For those few years in Florida I don't think I hung out with anyone else on my days off. I'll never forget when Gabe Owen came to town and I backed John for 50% of his stake in a bank pool game and he won the set and it was a thriller. One of the best bank games I ever saw, both guys made shots that seem to defy my understanding of geometry and physics. Most of all I remember that John was a man who lived life on his terms and did what he wanted to do. One time when John was sitting on his beloved keno machine one of the gypsies who played in there asked him how he could stand it having no money sometimes or being broke. John told him "I get to hang out in the pool room all day "I might be a poor motherf$%%ker but I'm happy." I'll never forget that. Taught me that sometimes you might not always have money in your pocket but that don't buy happiness being able to be free and do what you want can make you happy and very few men are as free as John was. I'll never forget waiting for the owner of the pool room to go to the restroom and trying to shake down the quarter push machine. I have a lot of good memories. He was my friend.

There was a picture taken of John back at the Derby in 2008 I believe and on that night I've been told he beat Billy Incardona out of $11,000 playing one pocket. I love this picture and had a print made that is 20x30 and had it framed. So wherever I go and as long I go on this will be in the place I live. A true friend and a second Father Figure to me, and one of those great old school players that seem to be dwindling away. I'm getting a print framed today to send to his Family in Jacksonville.

I'll miss you John and thanks for all the good times and everything you taught me and being my friend.

Forrest