What spot do you need

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
Heres the picture, you are practicing in your pool room on your favorite table. Just a little background, you like to gamble and you have been playing very well, your confidence is high and you have $1200.00 in your pocket that is your gambling bankroll. The front door opens and in walks Alex P. He comes right over to you, introduces himself and says he want to play you a race to 6 for $1000.

What is the minimum spot you would accept for this match?

For the sake of simplicity the spot can only be balls and the break. No exotic spots. For this WSDYN Im asking that you do not look at the spots other members have asked for until you have responded with your minimum spot. Be serious and as honest as possible. Think about it before you respond. Keith

ChicagoFats

Verified Member
15 - 4
If I lose, I shake the man's hand. Alex has a sick way of going negative 3 or 4 balls to ensure you don't get a shot.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Heres the picture, you are practicing in your pool room on your favorite table. Just a little background, you like to gamble and you have been playing very well, your confidence is high and you have $1200.00 in your pocket that is your gambling bankroll. The front door opens and in walks Alex P. He comes right over to you, introduces himself and says he want to play you a race to 6 for $1000.

For the sake of simplicity the spot can only be balls and the break. No exotic spots. For this WSDYN Im asking that you do not look at the spots other members have asked for until you have responded with your minimum spot. Be serious and as honest as possible. Think about it before you respond. Keith

I played Scott Frost twice 10/5 a few years back when I was playing well and he was considered by many to be the best player in the world. I lost both times.

IMO the number of balls you think you need are not enough. You need balls AND the break to have a chance. The break will slow them down a bIt and help your offense.

I would play 10/5 and the break. 10/6 If I was feeling froggy.:D

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
I played Scott Frost twice 10/5 a few years back when I was playing well and he was considered by many to be the best player in the world. I lost both times.

IMO the number of balls you think you need are not enough. You need balls AND the break to have a chance. The break will slow them down a bIt and help your offense.

I would play 10/5 and the break. 10/6 If I was feeling froggy.:D

Take two aspirin and go to bed. You’re hallucinating.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I think from any of the top pros I would probably ask for / need around 15/5. If I as playing for less I could lessen he spot, but for a g-note I need to think i have a chance.

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ

I felt I would need 14-3 and the breaks. K

beatle

Verified Member
about in the range of ten to twelve to three and the break depending on how well you bank and how smart you are.

BRLongArm

Verified Member
I saw a guy name Tommy Midina play Alex and Dennis at Buffalo's last month. The game with Alex was 15-4/16-4. Tommy plays about 8-7 under me. Alex had absolutely no chance. Tommy banked well and was patient. He used his knowledge to protect himself. He once needed one and the game took over an hour as he jockeyed with Alex before he got an offensive shot. I know that Alex has won in the past, but Tommy's game has improved to the point where even when Alex plays well, Tommy just banks one in, gets under the balls and pop, pop, pop. Game over. He wins his games in two minutes and Alex needs 45 minutes to win. Alex threw in the towel after losing 6 games.

Dennis then offers him 15-4. Race to 5 for $4,000. Tommy wins 5-0. They play another one. Dennis WINS 5-3. Then they quit. When I tell you that Dennis played absolutely perfectly in the second set, I am not exaggerating.

There is a spot that will get them weak, but it's usually more than you think you need. I usually play the guys right under Alex 12-5. I probably need 13-5 but I am usually only playing for 1-200 a game so I don't mind. It's great practice for me.

Hardmix

Verified Member
From
Cumming Ga
BR I watched the 1st set with Tommy and Dennis....Tommy flat ran over him. You are correct, his game has improved since the last time I saw him play.

Sappo I have pondered this question, more than once, I never come up with an answer I am comfortable with. I guess if there was no toe dipping and was forced to jump in the deep end of the pool it would be with 13/5. Maybe out of line, I have no idea, but I hope to find out one day.....as cheap as possible.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I would play 10/5. I have had many experiences playing Frost, Chohan, Danny Smith, and other top players with 10/6 and 10/6 and the break and have done reasonably well. However, Pagulayan is a little over Frost and Chohan but I would try him 10/5, I feel that that game is fairly close.

Dr. Bill

BRLongArm

Verified Member
I would play 10/5. I have had many experiences playing Frost, Chohan, Danny Smith, and other top players with 10/6 and 10/6 and the break and have done reasonably well. However, Pagulayan is a little over Frost and Chohan but I would try him 10/5, I feel that that game is fairly close.

Dr. Bill

He would never let you go to five, unless it was 8-5. And that's no good.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
That's pretty strong Dr. Bill, can I retract my 9/8 spot? :)

Besides getting 9/4 from Brumback 25 years ago when I first was learning to play, the biggest spot I have ever gotten was 10/5 from Shannon Murphy when I first started picking up playing again a couple years ago or so.

He let me play cheap, it was great for me, we each won 3 games and quit.

I probably wouldn't like 15/5 from Alex but I would have to try it, (as Ben said as cheaply as possible) :)

Tobermory

Verified Member
From
San Francisco, CA

I'd ask for 14-5 but I'd be willing to gamble with 12-6...pretty sporty, eh?

unoperro

Verified Member
I would go 13-7
With the pop and 2 picks.
I like Alex so losing wouldnt hurt too bad.