What Would You Ask Dick?

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Why is one pocket in southern california so aggressive (im not sure about northern and central), and one pocket on the east coast is relatively conservative. Isn't he just going to answer me right here though :confused:

TD,

Since the Duck answered your question I hope you aren't too offended if I take a shot at it.

It's a matter of degrees I think. Picture Raphael Martinez or Efren Reyes shooting all those phony-old t.v. shots in Michigan or Illinois in February. They'd get broke fast and have to sleep in their car somewhere very cold. They'd probably get plowed under by the county snowplows and not be able to open the car doors in the morning.

In SoCal they can just go down to an oceanfront park or beach and go to sleep nice & warm.

The colder the climate, the smarter the player:D. We like to stay warm in winter.

RBL

SJDinPHX

Suspended
TD,

Since the Duck answered your question I hope you aren't too offended if I take a shot at it.

It's a matter of degrees I think. Picture Raphael Martinez or Efren Reyes shooting all those phony-old t.v. shots in Michigan or Illinois in February. They'd get broke fast and have to sleep in their car somewhere very cold. They'd probably get plowed under by the county snowplows and not be able to open the car doors in the morning.

In SoCal they can just go down to an oceanfront park or beach and go to sleep nice & warm.

The colder the climate, the smarter the player... We like to stay warm in winter.

RBL

Just so you know, bar rag breath, it can get pretty cold in California at night..I've seen it drop below freezing in the summertime in San Jose..:eek:

Fortunately, I had a warm bed to crawl into.. Whereas Beardo, (had he bothered to stop by) would have froze his ass off, sleeping in the car..:D..(No, I would probably have let him sleep on my couch).. :p :p

PS..But then, how would you know ?...You've already said, Toledo is a 'road trip' for you...:D

Last edited:

tylerdurden

Verified Member
Just so you know, bar rag breath, it can get pretty cold in California at night..I've seen it drop below freezing in the summertime in San Jose..:eek:

Fortunately, I had a warm bed to crawl into.. Whereas Beardo, (had he bothered to stop by) would have froze his ass off, sleeping in the car..:D :D :

PS..But then, how would you know ?...You've already said, Toledo is a 'road trip' for you...:p

This discussion reminds me of some of my favorite college (so cal) stories. We used to willingly let our buds, and thus our ride, leave us in the club in an effort to motivate ourselves to go home with one of the fine young ladies. More often than not, i'd wake up with a seemingly abnormal amount of dew on me. Yes, so cal can get very friking cold, and wet (without rain?!), at night.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Thank you, and congrats again. And I do hope ghost can find that post :)

tyler...I found that post (long) re. my conception of One Pocket 'styles'...I'll put it in a new thread later, so as not to hijack this one any further...

Why is one pocket in southern california so aggressive (im not sure about northern and central), and one pocket on the east coast is relatively conservative. :confused:

And here's my long standing dispute (I've posted about this in the past) with what you asked about in that second post of yours >>>

It always bugs me to keep hearing that - “west coast One Pocket style is to play wide open and fire at your hole“, and - “east coast/Midwest style is squeezing“…..truth is, that’s untrue, bullsh_t generalizing - it's a fallacy.…maybe it was more like that back in the day - when comparing the ‘Keither’ to Hopkins and Fusco…not really anymore…

…for example - the current west coast top players?...sure, Rafael fires at his hole - but Rafael doesn’t count - he’s from Mexico, not Calif. and he’s got the macho thing going on, big time - so he has to fire at his hole..;)....Tony Chohan? - yep, he plays aggressive and fires at his hole - but after just that one aggressive west coast player, Tony…we've got...

…in L.A., the two best One Pocket players in town (not counting Parica) are Rich and Wayne - you think they play wide open? - not hardly: Rich's game is to move you to death, and Wayne plays very smart and careful….and the best older player in town - Little Al Romero - a real solid player - you think he plays wide open? - yeah right - ask John H. how much wide-open selling out Al did, when John played him for serious $$$ back in May…:rolleyes:.....and from up north, top players Billy Palmer, Jeff Gregory and George Michaels? - nope, there'll be no shooting up in the air from those three guys...…the truth is, the six aforementioned high level west coast players all play that nice solid game of balanced offense and defense…..and even two young up and coming players that I watched play when I was at the Mountain View tournament back in May: Deo Alpajora and Bryce Avila were also not playing a ‘Tony Chohan style’ of One Pocket…

...to further refute the fallacy, I could also name a bunch of midwest/east coast guys, past and present, who didn't/don't want to play safe, and want to fire at their hole...

…rather than being geographical, the age of the player, is where you realistically often see a big gap between prudent/smart, and overly risky One Pocket play…young One Pocket players will often play far too risky of a style (like a couple of the Kolby’s young players for example) until they learn that they’ll improve their game by playing smarter…....but Sylver Ochoa, Brandon Shuff, Danny Smith, Joey Gray, Beau Runningen, and Jesse Engels are all exceptions to the ‘young player syndrome’ of not playing smart - they are all great young One Pocket players…I’ve talked to a couple of these young players, and they are very serious about learning the game correctly, and playing smart…and they’re improving all the time.

- Ghost

Last edited:

tylerdurden

Verified Member
tyler...I found that post (long) re. my conception of One Pocket 'styles'...I'll put it in a new thread later, so as not to hijack this one any further...

And here's my long standing dispute (I've posted about this in the past) with what you asked about in that second post of yours >>>

It always bugs me to keep hearing that - “west coast One Pocket style is to play wide open and fire at your hole“, and - “east coast/Midwest style is squeezing“…..truth is, that’s untrue, bullsh_t generalizing - it's a fallacy.…maybe it was more like that back in the day - when comparing the ‘Keither’ to Hopkins and Fusco…not really anymore…

…for example - the current west coast top players?...sure, Rafael fires at his hole - but Rafael doesn’t count - he’s from Mexico, not Calif. and he’s got the macho thing going on, big time - so he has to fire at his hole..;)....Tony Chohan? - yep, he plays aggressive and fires at his hole - but after just that one aggressive west coast player, Tony…we've got...

…in L.A., the two best One Pocket players in town (not counting Parica) are Rich and Wayne - you think they play wide open? - not hardly: Rich's game is tol move you to death, and Wayne plays real smart and careful….and the best older player in town - Little Al Romero, a real solid player - you think he plays wide open? - yeah right - ask John H. how much wide-open selling out Al did, when John played him for serious $$$ back in May…:rolleyes:.....and from up north, top players Billy Palmer, Jeff Gregory and George Michaels? - nope, there'll be no shooting up in the air from those three guys...…the truth is, the six aforementioned high level west coast players all play that nice solid game of balanced offense and defense…..and even two young up and coming players that I watched play when I was at the Mountain View tournament back in May: Deo Alpajora and Bryce Avila were also not playing a ‘Tony Chohan style’ of One Pocket…

...to further refute the fallacy, I could also name a bunch of midwest/east coast guys, past and present, who didn't/don't want to play safe, and want to fire at their hole...

…rather than being geographical, the age of the player, is where you realistically often see a big gap between prudent/smart, and overly risky One Pocket play…young One Pocket players will often play far too risky of a style (like a couple of the Kolby’s young players for example) until they learn that they’ll improve their game by playing smarter…....but Sylver Ochoa, Brandon Shuff, Danny Smith, Joey Gray, Beau Runningen, and Jesse Engels are all exceptions to the ‘young player syndrome’ of not playing smart - they are all great young One Pocket players…I’ve talked to a couple of these young players, and they are very serious about learning the game correctly, and playing smart…and they’re improving all the time.

- Ghost

Well, Al is a pretty good friend of mine, and I have to agree with you. Maybe it was just me being so naive, and not traveling much, but as you say.... i see the young/shortstop (stupid) players firing all the time. But your post made me think, maybe the young guys over there in chicago and new york do the same thing? Pretty much all the guys who get a ball or two from those you mentioned, they fire (Nick Spano and a few others his same speed).

Short version, you are most assuredly correct. I just play the shortstops more often, and perhaps got a skewed opinion. Yet, i must say, I still don't see the management portion of the game (ie pushing em uptable) nearly as strong in LA as I see in chicago style. Thanks for the post!!

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I must pee on the parade

I must pee on the parade

Thats a pretty bold statement....You're playing a guy who would shoot at a Red Cross flag, who didn't have a clue about the 'NIC*E game'..just like everybody else back in the day. (who wasn't from CHI*A*O)..Whyncha just play him head-up ucher or sumpin ?

Greg was a sweetheart, wasn't he ?... His win/loss record against me, was pretty dismal, but we played EVERY game on a pool or snooker table. (except 9 ball)...:eek:...He was never the brightest bulb on the tree, and was usually over medicated...But when he was "right" nobody in the world had to win playing him 9 ball... I don't think its right for you to BR*G, about having him on your BE*T LI*T at bank pool..(I used to give him more than that playing one pocket).:p

..FYI, I've never played 'pocket speed' banks either, but I envision it as drawing a very small circle around the pocket, and the closest guy gets the $$$...Is that too complicated ?... (maybe if he makes it and you don't, you pay double)..no WARP speed shooting, and I don't care where we start from...1 rail, 2 rails, or 32 rails..(even pinch banks, that don't go, but do)..:cool:

PS..I only have one nerve left, and you are starting to get on it..AG*IN :frus

PPS..I still have a set of golf clubs Greg hocked to me, 40-some years ago, after our last pool session. Heh, heh..(witnesses on request)
He tried to redeem them about 3 months later, but we struck a deal..I loved those clubs...I couldn't beat him playing golf, (on a golfcourse) He wasn't as defenseless at that game, as he was at B**KS...LOL, But we used to partner up against some fat cats in Wichita !..:D

PPPS I don't know why you get so defensive about bank pool...I know for sure, it must have been a long time between games for you, once you left Ch***go...That knife and fork can be brutal... Heh, heh, heh, smiley face,smileyface.

Let me insert a little proviso to your "I gave up big odds to Greg Stevens," br*g. When I was at the LeCue, Jersey Red was only giving him 9 to 8 playing 1pkt. When you were handing out big spots to "The Big Train" was he in long pants yet? Were you picking him up after school and taking him to the poolroom?

In the, "it dont really count" department, the first time I played Efren Reyes, I gave him 10 to 8. Then I had to keep reminding him where his pocket was.

Beard

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Let me insert a little proviso to your "I gave up big odds to Greg Stevens," br*g. When I was at the LeCue, Jersey Red was only giving him 9 to 8 playing 1pkt..Please...Let me guess who won ???
When you were handing out big spots to "The Big Train" was he in long pants yet? Were you picking him up after school and taking him to the poolroom?

In the,"It really don't count department", the first time I played Efren Reyes, I gave him 10 to 8. Then I had to keep reminding him where his pocket was...Did you always tell him the truth, heh,heh ???

Beard

Its so warm and fuzzy, to be 'old bud's' now....But, will you please stop shouting at me...I'm old, not deaf...:eek:..
...Nice crack about the "long pants"...If I'm not mistaken, Greg was older than me..but whose counting...:rolleyes:

I didn't say how MUCH more weight...I wanted to leave you a little 'wiggle room'...And sure enough, you squirmed...:sorry

PS..You avoided my question re; your road trips, and how long it was between "bank victim's".(once you left the city limits ?)...;):p

Last edited:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
I've got one for the "it don't count department" myself...

When Alex 'the lion" Pagulayan first came to the U.S...I was the first person he started playing One Pocket with - we played even, cheap, that's what he wanted to do, and I won..:eek:..he never missed a shot - but, he had no clue how to play the game - that's the reason I won....every year when I see him at the DCC, he brings this up, and we laugh about it.

- Ghost

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY

When Alex 'the lion" Pagulayan first came to the U.S...I was the first person he started playing One Pocket with - we played even, cheap, that's what he wanted to do, and I won..:eek:..he never missed a shot - but, he had no clue how to play the game - that's the reason I won....every year when I see him at the DCC, he brings this up, and we laugh about it.

- Ghost
So what is the game between you and Alex now?

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl

- Ghost

how is it that all the philipino greats started out in chicago????

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire

…in L.A., the two best One Pocket players in town (not counting Parica) are Rich and Wayne - you think they play wide open? - not hardly: Rich's game is to move you to death, and Wayne plays very smart and careful….and the best older player in town - Little Al Romero - a real solid player - you think he plays wide open? - yeah right - ask John H. how much wide-open selling out Al did, when John played him for serious $$$ back in May…:rolleyes:.....and from up north, top players Billy Palmer, Jeff Gregory and George Michaels? - nope, there'll be no shooting up in the air from those three guys...…the truth is, the six aforementioned high level west coast players all play that nice solid game of balanced offense and defense…..and even two young up and coming players that I watched play when I was at the Mountain View tournament back in May: Deo Alpajora and Bryce Avila were also not playing a ‘Tony Chohan style’ of One Pocket…

- Ghost
tap tap tap

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Yeah they got off the boat in Cali and then went straight to Chicago for some deep dish pizza.

do you think they were steered there for easy action??:eek:

jk,jk,jk:)

i couldnt help myself:sorry

dick behave yourself and dont take off on this post
or else ill take my vote back:D

p.s. im not including you beard or ghostie:)

Last edited:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
do you think they were steered there for easy action??:eek:

jk,jk,jk

i couldnt help myself

dick behave yourself and dont take off on this post
or else ill take my vote back:D

p.s. im not including you beard or ghostie:)

No Larry...they came here as quick as they could, because they were told definitively , that they should go to Chicago and seek out Freddy and the Ghost - if they wanted to learn to play correct One Pocket, at it's very highest level ...:heh....:cool:

- Ghost

SJDinPHX

Suspended
No Larry...they came here as quick as they could, because they were told definitively , that they should go to Chicago and seek out Freddy and the Ghost - if they wanted to learn to play correct One Pocket, at it's very highest level ...:eek:

- Ghost

No Larry...They were told to go to Chicago first, because there were three and a half guys there, who thought [sic] they played good. And they could lemon them a little, pick up a few 'basics' of the game....Then take off the whole town, (for about $250), then head back to California, (to stay)... where ALL the real high $$$$ action was..!! :cool:

PS..Besides, those guys were WAY too smart, to spend over one winter in Chicago or Dirtriot...!..:eek:.;)

Last edited:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
No Larry...They were told to go to Chicago first, because there were three and a half guys, who thought they played good. And they could lemon them a little, pick up a few 'basics' of the game....Then take off the whole town, (for about $250), then head back to California, (to stay)... where ALL the real high $$$$ action was..!! :cool:

PS..Besides, those guys were WAY too smart, to spend over one winter in Chicago or Dirtriot...!.

That does it...no more hall of fame for you..:sorry...Larry's taking back his vote now...:cool: >>>

dick behave yourself
and dont take off on this post
or else ill take my vote back

p.s. im not including you beard or ghostie :)

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
No Larry...they came here as quick as they could, because they were told definitively , that they should go to Chicago and seek out Freddy and the Ghost - if they wanted to learn to play correct One Pocket, at it's very highest level ...:heh....:cool:

- Ghost

i should have figured that out myself..:eek:..:eek:...:D