What's your choice ?

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Had this situation come up awhile back...tough choice...

You have pocket A, you need two, your opponent needs one - the 3ball is 1/4" off the rail, the 4ball is frozen on the rail....

The three-railer on the 3ball is pretty much dead-ahead to make it....You can shoot the three-railer, and stick the cueball, just trying to get to hill-hill - a safe and simple to execute shot choice....Or you can shoot the three-railer and force-follow down table for position on the 4ball cross-corner to try and run out - but, it's tougher to accurately execute the three-railer with follow rather than just stopping the cueball, and, you might leave a cut-shot down the rail for your opponent if you don't make the three-railer....Or you can shoot the two-railer on the 4ball, and if you make it you'll have shape to get out - but it's a tough angle, and there could be a kiss, or you could hit it bad and sell-out....What's your choice ?

- The One Holey Ghost

PS, No posts from cowards please - that want to recommend shooting a safety here...:rolleyes: - you know who you are...:D

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AEoL4BHiL4CayO2DagA4EKkK4FNuK4GQwK3HTaN3IRFL3JWLN4KTiJ3LFNJ3MIPK3NLBJ3ONuK4PVTI4QdOs@[/CUETABLE]

Last edited:

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
No coward in me! That's why I play so bad:)

How's about force following down there, to not leave a cut he would go for?

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AEoL4BHiL4CayO2DagA4EKkK4FNuK4GQwK3HTaN3IRFL3JWLN4KTiJ3LFNJ3MIPK3NLBJ3ONuK4PVTI4QdOs4WayO4WcUo2WMOm2Wbot4Wadi4kVTI4kayU4kcFB4kaYh1kYdT1kYdT1kYUa2uDSA@4AEoL4BHiL4CWkJ2DagA4EKkK4FNuK4GQwK3HTaN3IRFL3JWLN4KTiJ3LFNJ3MIPK3NLBJ3ONuK1PYMY4QdOs2XagA2Xbdp4XYvb1kYMY2kaHI2kbVU1kCKl1uCEJ@[/CUETABLE]

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
CaliRed said:
No coward in me! That's why I play so bad:)

How's about force following down there, to not leave a cut he would go for?

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AEoL4BHiL4CayO2DagA4EKkK4FNuK4GQwK3HTaN3IRFL3JWLN4KTiJ3LFNJ3MIPK3NLBJ3ONuK4PVTI4QdOs4WayO4WcUo2WMOm2Wbot4Wadi4kVTI4kayU4kcFB4kaYh1kYdT1kYdT1kYUa2uDSA@4AEoL4BHiL4CWkJ2DagA4EKkK4FNuK4GQwK3HTaN3IRFL3JWLN4KTiJ3LFNJ3MIPK3NLBJ3ONuK1PYMY4QdOs2XagA2Xbdp4XYvb1kYMY2kaHI2kbVU1kCKl1uCEJ@[/CUETABLE]

That's one of the 3 choices.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Cowboy Dennis said:
You sure do know how to confuse us Ghosty.

I was just testing the 'mistake police' out there...;)...now go look at my edited post...:cool:

PS, Careful now with your ridicule of me...:mad:...or I'll join forces with Papie agin you...:eek:...:D

beatle

Verified Member
4 is too tough. so its the three. so bank it and follow down to the second diamond from the end. or the place where your speed control on the three leaves it close to the hole

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I'm definitely shooting the two-railer. You remove a ball from your opponent's side and put it near your hole. If it happens to go you could even get out. Just getting the two balls in your corner could lead to something good even if you don;t make it. No kiss with this much angle for sure....

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AEoL4BHiL4CayO2DagA4EKkK4FNuK4GQwK3HTaN3IRFL3JWLN4KTiJ3LFNJ3MIPK3NLBJ3ONuK4PVTI4QdOs2XagA2XNMm4XaMazc4kVTI2kaGj2kbMn1kbId1kGSczc2uBnG@[/CUETABLE]

One pocket Smitty

Verified Member
From
Chandler, Tx.
Here is my shot. Ithink this will work.--Smitty[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AEoL4BHiL4CaqN2DagA4EKkK4FNuK4GQwK3HTaN3IRFL3JWLN4KTiJ3LFNJ3MIPK3NLBJ3ONuK4PVLI4QdOs4WaqN4Wctf2WOCp2WbqD4Wbbq4kVLI4kaaU1kYCX@4AEoL4BHiL4Ccps2DagA4EKkK4FNuK4GQwK3HTaN3IRFL3JWLN4KTiJ3LFNJ3MIPK3NLBJ3ONuK1PXlV4QdOs2XagA2Xbdq4XcYr1kXlV2kYiK2kYqK2kbeQ1kIfr@[/CUETABLE]

JohnG

Verified Member
shoot the three 3 rails and draw whitey back to shoot a 2 railer on the 4

KindlyOleUncleDave

Verified Member
what table is being played on?

what table is being played on?

factory 4 1/4" or tighter corners, one rail the three and then 2 rail the 4.

5" or larger pockets shoot either one first ..they are both hangers.

ain't I brave at 0407 ... I think I'll go back to bed

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
im with the group to shoot the 3 railer and follow down for the 4. if the 3 is near your pocket your opponent will move it away rather than try a thin cut on the 4.imho

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
If you need two balls, I would two rail the 4. If you need one ball then the three rail would be my choice.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Interesting results...Steve and jtompilot would shoot the 2-railer on the 4ball, everybody else so far, chooses the 3-railer with follow...still waiting for opinions from Papie, Freddy, Billy, Dennis, senor, etc.etc.

- The One Holey Ghost

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I'd shoot the 2 railer if I was dumping

I'd shoot the 2 railer if I was dumping

One Pocket Ghost said:
Interesting results...Steve and jtompilot would shoot the 2-railer on the 4ball, everybody else so far, chooses the 3-railer with follow...still waiting for opinions from Papie, Freddy, Billy, Dennis, senor, etc.etc.

- The One Holey Ghost

My take on it is expressed in the title above.

Beard

beatle

Verified Member
the two rail is too hard a shot to take. if you hit it too full running english picks up and it comes around to your opponents pocket. if you hit it thin it banks back to his hole. otherwise then you have to use reverse english and get a near perfect hit to bring it anywhere s near your hole.

the 3 railer is a duck and can be easily made at least 30 % of the time with the rest leaving it close or hanging. when you make it you have a decent one rail bank to make or hang.
i know this one armed gimpy blind man i can send down to play anyone shooting the shots that thinks the two rail is better.

Skin

Verified Member
I would shoot the 3 railer. I do not like 2 railers from bad angles. I seem to be pretty talented at screwing those up. :)

Skin

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I see I am in the minority. That's okay, I can handle it...

But those of you that shoot the three-railer and follow up the rail, keep in mind to go there with the cue ball, you have to cut the ball into the cushion a little more than it is already aimed. That means it has to pretty much lie totally right, because needing that cue ball exit angle forces your hand on the cut angle a bit.

See you at the Derby

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
NH Steve said:
I see I am in the minority. That's okay, I can handle it...

But those of you that shoot the three-railer and follow up the rail, keep in mind to go there with the cue ball, you have to cut the ball into the cushion a little more than it is already aimed. That means it has to pretty much lie totally right, because needing that cue ball exit angle forces your hand on the cut angle a bit.

See you at the Derby

Steve......You'll notice in my original post I said that the percentage of making the 3-railer will go down, when, as you said, you have to adjust for speed and english to follow down the rail, rather than shooting the 3-railer straight ahead, having to do nothing to the cueball, and sticking right there where the 3ball was....nobody's picked that option, but I wouldn't rule it out...cuz since as I said in my opening post, the 3-railer is pretty much straight ahead dead on, I think the the likelihood of making the 3-railer would be 20%-30% higher by shooting it straight on and sticking, than by adjusting the hit and following down table.

- Ghost