Which way do you go here?

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
You have the top left pocket (where the 3ball is) - score is 6-6 - your opponent just scratched and you have ball in hand...you're playing on 4-1/4" pockets...

Do you pocket the 3 with a natural angle to clip/break up the two spotted balls, to get position for your game winning ball?...or do you pocket the 3 with a little inside english, playing shape for the cross-corner on the 10, to get your game winning ball? - knowing that with this choice, making the bank/winning ball is not guaranteed...

Personally, I always choose option 2 - because I'm not Efren, and I don't think my cueball control is consistently precise enough for me to be assured of clipping the two spotted balls.....and playing for the bank, even if I don't get perfect, it's pretty much a lock for me to get some kind of banking angle by choosing option 2...

Which way would youse guys go?...will we get a consensus here?

- Ghost

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I really like playing for the bank here. Playing for the bank you will be shooting for game ball with a shot just about 100% of the time. That's pretty good for openers.:D

Dr. Bill

keoneyo

Verified Member
For me the primary focus is to cinch the ball. Bringing you to the hill. Ill probably shoot it with no english with an angle to bring me up to the bank cross side.
I like coming up high on the cross bank so I can use the top ball as a blocker in case I just lay the ball in front of my hole.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
I say you should, also. I believe I am the one who turned C J on to this strategy. I could be confused about that. :D Option 2, every time, and bank the 10 with pocket speed. Even if I miss the bank, I'm ahead 7-6, with a ball nearly in the pocket. I have to like that. I can't imagine playing to hit the two spot balls.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
I'll play the bank all day long. Trying to break them up and miss hitting them then you have nothing at all and if you do hit them you might me banking anyway.

bstroud

Verified Member
I would try to break out the 10 ball.

If you play for the bank and under hit it, you have no shot. If you over hit it you run the risk of leaving a bank on the 10 ball with a kiss. Even if you hit it pretty well and then miss the bank you could leave a shot.

With ball in hand you have the opportunity to get the correct angle for the breakout that works best for you.

If you miss the breakout on the far side you still can split hit both balls and move both to your side and put the cue ball up table.

Bill S.

lfigueroa

Verified Member
I''m definitely trying to run into them. Even with a less than perfect hit a lot of good things can happen.

Lou Figueroa

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I'm in the other camp, I try breaking the balls on the spot. If you hit the correct side you'll have a shot at the game. If you hit the wrong side you'll probably have a better bank. If I miss them, which would be rare, :lol then I'd move them both uptable.
Rod.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
I'm with Lou and Bill and Rod. I want to run into them gently on the left side. I could miss the breakout but would expect that if I did I would be on the left side of the spot not too far up because I'm trying to just nudge them. Suppose I don't touch them. I'm still in good shape to move them. Lots of choices from here. I like the split hit if it lays right and lag speed with follow so there will be no bank to answer with from my oppo. I like my chances with this shot.

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
I'm in the other camp, I try breaking the balls on the spot. If you hit the correct side you'll have a shot at the game. If you hit the wrong side you'll probably have a better bank. If I miss them, which would be rare, :lol then I'd move them both uptable.
Rod.

I'm in Rod's camp - I don't love having to play shape and pop at the bottom of the 2 balls. Best case

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
I would try to break out the 10 ball.

If you play for the bank and under hit it, you have no shot. If you over hit it you run the risk of leaving a bank on the 10 ball with a kiss. Even if you hit it pretty well and then miss the bank you could leave a shot.

With ball in hand you have the opportunity to get the correct angle for the breakout that works best for you.

If you miss the breakout on the far side you still can split hit both balls and move both to your side and put the cue ball up table.

Bill S.
Is hitting the breakout easier than getting good shape on the bank? Even if it is, is the possibility of a good shot enough reward?

pj <- don't get it yet
chgo

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Which way do you go here?

I understand both thoughts, but I would likely play to break them up.

keoneyo

Verified Member
Getting shape on the bank you can do 90% of the time, if not better. On hitting the spotted balls and getting shape much, much less.
Though the second option makes you look more heroic and sexy if succesfull. Not to mention put the fear of god in your opponent.
The first option just makes you look like a nit, gutless, and a chump. At least thats what they'll say when you walk away with their money.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
The break out is not all that easy. You will need to hit the correct side of the ten ball to insure a shot and that target on the ten is very small. If you miss hitting the ten then you have nothing.

The shape on the bank is high percentage as long as you make sure not to hit the shot short and then only have the option of having to back cut the ten which then will be dangerous. Going a bit long on position for the bank will still keep you in control to either make it or hang it up.

The inside English in my opinion will be need to make sure that you stay a fair distance away from the ten ball to make the bank more manageable.