whichwyd 2

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
I'm re-putting up two more, not wwyd, but whichwyd's from several years ago...since the old pics of these two shot-choices are gone, I re-photographed them...also...I have Chris Gentile answering our shot-choices for the first time..:eek:...

I was talking with Chris at the poolhall when I photographed these layouts, so I asked him his choices - I'll post his choices later - (don't hold your breath Doc :D )

In both of these threads that I'm putting up today, the scenario is: you're playing in an important game, against, not a champion, but against a good/solid player - for instance, an opponent who plays at least around myself, John H. and Frank's speed, or a little better...

In this first situation you need both balls, your opponent needs one, and you have the top right pocket...the choice is: make the 3, get on the hill, and then play a safety (the 12, btw, is froze on the rail - you don't have the angle to make the 3 and hold whitey to bank the 12 straight back next), or shoot the pretty-much dead-ahead 2-rail bank on the 12ball (which, btw, is froze on the rail), and try and get on out - and if you choose to bank the 12, you could stop whitey right there on the rail, or you could draw back a few inches and go for the snooker in case you miss the bank...here's the layout ------>

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
I imagine all the smart 1p players on here will two rail the stripe, if only because you can hide it by your hole behind the three ball if you don't make it. Pretty obvious.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
The two railer on the 12 ball is good only if you make it. Beside the three ball is makeable to his hole from where you would leave the cue ball.
I would not pass on making the 3 ball while sliding the cue ball over so that I could three rail the 12 ball toward my hole and sticking the cue ball where the twelve is.

t-dog

Verified Member
I'm re-putting up two more, not wwyd, but whichwyd's from several years ago...since the old pics of these two shot-choices are gone, I re-photographed them...also...I have Chris Gentile answering our shot-choices for the first time..:eek:...

I was talking with Chris at the poolhall when I photographed these layouts, so I asked him his choices - I'll post his choices later - (don't hold your breath Doc :D )

In both of these threads that I'm putting up today, the scenario is: you're playing in an important game, against, not a champion, but against a good/solid player - for instance, an opponent who plays at least around myself, John H. and Frank's speed, or a little better...

In this first situation you need both balls, your opponent needs one, and you have the top right pocket...the choice is: make the 3, get on the hill, and then play a safety (the 12, btw, is froze on the rail - you don't have the angle to make the 3 and hold whitey to bank the 12 straight back next), or shoot the pretty-much dead-ahead 2-rail bank on the 12ball (which, btw, is froze on the rail), and try and get on out...here's the layout ------>

This is the question/answer/ discussion I am in need of. I have a wwyd I may post later and although the balls arent in the same place, the principle should be the same. Excited to see what everyone thinks.

tylerdurden

Verified Member
After you make that 3 you just doubled you chance of winning the game. There's no way I'm not taking that three when I can get it.

bstroud

Verified Member
I'm kicking at the stripe. Hard to miss.

Then I'm banking the 3 ball.

Bill S.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
The two railer on the 12 ball is good only if you make it. Beside the three ball is makeable to his hole from where you would leave the cue ball.
I would not pass on making the 3 ball while sliding the cue ball over so that I could three rail the 12 ball toward my hole and sticking the cue ball where the twelve is.

Me too. Hiding behind the 3 is likely useless after a miss because there's a real good chance the 12 can be combo-ed away. I want to get on the hill now and the three-railer looks like the shot to play for.

(I've been likin' a lot of your choices lately.)

keoneyo

Verified Member
Put it this way.
If Im your opponent I want you to shoot the 2 railer on the 12.
Yeah razzle dazzle the crowd.
I don't want you to get even with me and have to struggle from there.
If you make it and get shape and win well you went against the odds and won and you get my adulation.
If you miss you leave me some kind of shot on the 3 to win.

If it was me I cinch the 3 and get even and go from there.

Cory in dc

Verified Member
I imagine all the smart 1p players on here will two rail the stripe, if only because you can hide it by your hole behind the three ball if you don't make it. Pretty obvious.

That was my answer, and I'm not even smart.

The key is that the 12 ball is probably a 20% or so shot to go, with a near certain win to follow. Even if it doesn't go, I'm the favorite to get the next ball. So 25% chance to win now, perhaps a 40% chance to win later (given a protected ball by my hole but needing 2 vs. 1).

If I make the 3 and then do something with the 12, I'm in the neighborhood of 50/50 thereafter.

Cory

bstroud

Verified Member
Shoot in the 3 and play position so you can bank the 12 ball 3 rails across the table and get safe at the same time in case you make it in the side pocket.

Always get on the hill if you can.

Bill S.

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Im making the 3 ball and drawing the cue ball back and over to the left and then im thin banking the 12 ball.

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
That was my answer, and I'm not even smart.

The key is that the 12 ball is probably a 20% or so shot to go, with a near certain win to follow. Even if it doesn't go, I'm the favorite to get the next ball. So 25% chance to win now, perhaps a 40% chance to win later (given a protected ball by my hole but needing 2 vs. 1).

If I make the 3 and then do something with the 12, I'm in the neighborhood of 50/50 thereafter.

Cory

Cory

You are correct. Proof is ,if you put the 12 ball down close to your hole and leave the CB where the 12 ball is currently, if they can get the 12 ball away from your hole, they ain't shootin the 3 ball at their hole.

If you force them to shoot the 3 ball you're at least a 60-70% favorite to win. IMHO

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Get in the one-hole, by all means. Even if you bank the stripe well, and protect it with the 3 ball, the 3 ball can go into the wrong pocket - from where the cue ball is now, for example. Beware of forcing a shooter to shoot.