Who is Your Top 5 Current One Pocket Players Today?

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
I was posting my top 5 on Brandon's Facebook and was curious what everyone else thought and also their picks. I am speaking more for the cash money if you had to bet on them as opposed to tournament play. I think this year we will see 2 of these fellas on the list matching up.

1. Frost
2. Efren
3. Alex
4. Gabe
5. Sylver

I have to mention I struggled to not put Shane on the list, I feel he would give Sylver and Gabe a run for their money and maybe the other guys too. He just shoots so straight and is a smart pool player who is like a sponge with great focus, talent and determination to conquer every game. Shane might be the guy to break Mosconi's 526 if and when he gets to straight pool.

onepockethacker

Verified Member
I was posting my top 5 on Brandon's Facebook and was curious what everyone else thought and also their picks. I am speaking more for the cash money if you had to bet on them as opposed to tournament play. I think this year we will see 2 of these fellas on the list matching up.

1. Frost
2. Efren
3. Alex
4. Gabe
5. Sylver

I have to mention I struggled to not put Shane on the list, I feel he would give Sylver and Gabe a run for their money and maybe the other guys too. He just shoots so straight and is a smart pool player who is like a sponge with great focus, talent and determination to conquer every game. Shane might be the guy to break Mosconi's 526 if and when he gets to straight pool.

If the match was for $ 50,000 or $ 100,000 and they had a couple of weeks to prepare i still think Efren beats anyone in the world. For how much longer i dont know.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA

1. Frost
2. Efren
3. Alex
4. Gabe
5. Sylver

I might move Efren down a notch behind Alex and put Chris Gentile in place of Sylver. I think his game has slipped a bit in the last couple years for whatever reason.

They could all take turns beating each other, but wouldn't a round robin be fun to sweat.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire

1. Frost
2. Efren
3. Alex
4. Gabe
5. Sylver

I would say Jeremy Jones is right in there with Sylver and Gabe, too. Shane is playing pool and One Pocket so well right now, he's got to be somewhere in there...

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
It's hard not to put Shane in the top 5, i've seen enough of his play to feel confident that he belongs there.

He played great last year at the DCC beating Frost, and Pagulion and eventually winning the tournament. Then he goes on to win the one pocket again this year, validating his his status as an elite one pocket player.

Also in the last year he beat Frost getting only 9 to 8 in Vegas, so he's just not only a tournament player, he's a killer.

The top 3 players, and in no particular order imo are Frost, Reyes, and Shane followed by Alex, Sylver, Jeremy, Cory, and then Gabe. Then there are players like Gentile, Danny Smith, Jesse, and Joyner.

I like Gentiles game too, John, he seems to be constantly improving. His weak part in his game is his accuracy, in relation to the other elite players. Accuracy plays a major role in today's one pocket players, when you consider that today's players, as a group are not shooting bad shots nearly as often as they were years ago.

If I were forced to pick my top 5 players they would be in this order.

#1 Frost
#2 Reyes
#3 Shane
#4 Alex
#5 Sylver

Dr. Bill

onepockethacker

Verified Member
It's hard not to put Shane in the top 5, i've seen enough of his play to feel confident that he belongs there.

He played great last year at the DCC beating Frost, and Pagulion and eventually winning the tournament. Then he goes on to win the one pocket again this year, validating his his status as an elite one pocket player.

Also in the last year he beat Frost getting only 9 to 8 in Vegas, so he's just not only a tournament player, he's a killer.

The top 3 players, and in no particular order imo are Frost, Reyes, and Shane followed by Alex, Sylver, Jeremy, Cory, and then Gabe. Then there are players like Gentile, Danny Smith, Jesse, and Joyner.

I like Gentiles game too, John, he seems to be constantly improving. His weak part in his game is his accuracy, in relation to the other elite players. Accuracy plays a major role in today's one pocket players, when you consider that today's players, as a group are not shooting bad shots nearly as often as they were years ago.

#1 Frost
#2 Reyes
#3 Shane
#4 Alex
#5 Sylver

Dr. Bill

1. Efren - still the king until somebody takes it
2. Frost - hand on the thrown and half a butt cheek in the seat
3. Alex/Shane - you just have to lnik these two together
4. Jeremy Jones - plays every part of the game really well
5. Gabe/Sylver/Chris Gentile - flip a coin

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire

#1 Frost
#2 Reyes
#3 Shane
#4 Alex
#5 Sylver

Dr. Bill
Bill, is this the first time you've picked Frost on top of Reyes? Momentous...

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Reyes can definitely get staked for $ 50,000 If Scott can get staked that high and everyone is convinced he can beat Reyes make it happen. WHEN THE BIG MONEY IS UP NO ONE IS GOING TO BEAT REYES PLAYING EVEN ONE POCKET...PERIOD for how much longer i dont know.. if they wait around for him to have a seeing eye dog than all bets are off winner take all no appearance fees, no savers. Billy we all know you have the CASH put Scott in the box against Efren for $ 50,000

P.S. This should be the next TAR MATCH

Last edited:

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Efren would have to be in stroke and actively practicing daily. He didn't look so good at DCC.

You have to take into consideration his age as it concerns to how he looked at Derby. He plays all 3 events at Derby plus the Fatboy challenge plus the one pocket challenge etc. its a 10 hour plus 9 day grind. That is going to wear on a player 62 years old. I think if he knew he had a chance to win more in one match than he could win in winning all 3 events at Derby, Efren would put a couple of weeks to prepare and come out on top. I dont see alot of guys lining up to play Efren

If i was Scott i would be trying to set this match up. Scott wants to be the best in the world. If Greg Sullivan wants to get Tunica off to an amazing start have this match set up for then. You could have Billy, Danny, Freddy and Grady(if hes up to it) do the commentary. It would be an historic match and tape.

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
If the match was for $ 50,000 or $ 100,000 and they had a couple of weeks to prepare i still think Efren beats anyone in the world. For how much longer i dont know.
I want to feel the same way you do about Reyes, after watching him very closely for the past 20 plus years, very closely

It's never been a secret of mine that I have always felt that Reyes was the best one pocket player of all time, at least imco as long as I have been watching players play.

Reyes is the most skilled player that I have ever watched playing pool. His comprehension and ability to execute surpasses any player that's played in the past 50 years that i've been around. He has all the tools, there isn't a weakness in his game, none that I can see. His ball striking accuracy was among the best. His position play was impeccable, in terms of patterns and speed of the cue ball His understanding of caroms and other intricacies are superb. But father time has a way of limiting all of us, regardless of the sport we play, we all age, and then our skills diminish:(

I feel fortunate that I was around to watch the best player of our time, as closely as I have. Do I think he's still the best one pocket player in the world? Yes, on any given day, but not every day.

Dr. Bill

onepockethacker

Verified Member
I want to feel the same way you do about Reyes, after watching him very closely for the past 20 plus years, very closely

It's never been a secret of mine that I have always felt that Reyes was the best one pocket player of all time, at least imco as long as I have been watching players play.

Reyes is the most skilled player that I have ever watched playing pool. His comprehension and ability to execute surpasses any player that's played in the past 50 years that i've been around. He has all the tools, there isn't a weakness in his game, none that I can see. His ball striking accuracy was among the best. His position play was impeccable, in terms of patterns and speed of the cue ball His understanding of caroms and other intricacies are superb. But father time has a way of limiting all of us, regardless of the sport we play, we all age, and then our skills diminish:(

I feel fortunate that I was around to watch the best player of our time, as closely as I have. Do I think he's still the best one pocket player in the world? Yes, on any given day, but not every day.

Dr. Bill

Let me ask you something Billy. Can both players get staked to play each other for $ 50,000? I figure you know better than anyone. If the answer is yes, than its imperative this match takes place ASAP It would be HISTORIC!!!

Ken_4fun

Verified Member
I agree with the poster about Scott Frost should be pushing to set this up.

Here is why;

I think Scott wants to be known as the best one pocket player in the world.

He needs to beat Efren, in public so this will determined.

All great rivalries have always made great for us railbirds.

IMO

Bird/Magic
Earl/Efren (9-ball), maybe the best rivalry in pool in my lifetime.
Chamberlin/Russell
Ali/Frazier
USA/USSR (Olympics)

I think that is why, at least in my eyes, Michael Jordon wasn’t as exciting to watch. The great sport dramas always included drama and rivalry.

Pool players are so dumb we miss out on so many of them. The other great one to bring some interest to Straight Pool.

Schmidt/Harriman

Arguably the two best straight pool players in the US.

I hope my point gets across.:frus

Best of rolls to all,

Ken

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
You have to take into consideration his age as it concerns to how he looked at Derby. He plays all 3 events at Derby plus the Fatboy challenge plus the one pocket challenge etc. its a 10 hour plus 9 day grind. That is going to wear on a player 62 years old. I think if he knew he had a chance to win more in one match than he could win in winning all 3 events at Derby, Efren would put a couple of weeks to prepare and come out on top. I dont see alot of guys lining up to play Efren

If i was Scott i would be trying to set this match up. Scott wants to be the best in the world. If Greg Sullivan wants to get Tunica off to an amazing start have this match set up for then. You could have Billy, Danny, Freddy and Grady(if hes up to it) do the commentary. It would be an historic match and tape.

You nailed it. He hadn't prepared. If he is prepared, I like him against anybody. All those commentators in the box would be hard to keep from sounding like a cluster frock. They're all good and maybe in pairs but if you get 4 together, they will start talking over eachother. Do you think those golf commentary teams do that without practice?

BackPocket9Ball

Verified Member
From
Philadelphia

I'm not trying to nitpick here, but Efren is 58, not 62. It's seems like a small difference, but at that age, four years makes a big difference in how much your skills have or have not diminished due to age.

onepockethacker

Verified Member
I'm not trying to nitpick here, but Efren is 58, not 62. It's seems like a small difference, but at that age, four years makes a big difference in how much your skills have or have not diminished due to age.

Ok my bad I looked up his birthday but i was in a rush and i was looking at the birthdate of Efren Reyes jr an actor in the Phillipines The funny thing is when i was writing he was 62 i KNEW that didnt seem right.

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ

1. Frost
2. Efren
3. Alex
4. Gabe
5. Sylver

1. Efren
2. Shane
3. Scott
4. Alex
5. Shannon

onepockethacker

Verified Member
You nailed it. He hadn't prepared. If he is prepared, I like him against anybody. All those commentators in the box would be hard to keep from sounding like a cluster frock. They're all good and maybe in pairs but if you get 4 together, they will start talking over eachother. Do you think those golf commentary teams do that without practice?

Thats part of what will make it historic. Even these four HUGE egos i believe could keep it professonal because of the epic stature of this match. The best one pocket match i have seen and im including the commentary is the 1991 Legends of One Pocket Match between Johnny Ervolino vs Mike Sigel. Freddy the Beard, Buddy hall, Grady Mathews were commentating the match and than Cornbread Red sat down and joined in. 4 people and it worked great.