WWYD? #81,544

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
baby huey said:
I think that sometimes players are looking for the shot that scores. In this situation I'd bank the 13 ball into those two balls, the 3 and 7 closest to my pocket. I can hold the cue ball along the rail and my opponent will not have a shot at his hole and I can get some good action going towards my hole.
Great observation, that we don't have to always do something "now," which is pushing it here. This is like a waiting move in chess, develop a little more. I do like the 15 carom into the 5, which it seems we can either make or get real close, but there's also a realistic chance of leaving him a bank. Listen to Baby Huey... he's the man!

I constantly teach my students to search for multiple options beginning with the most aggressive shot which happens to be within their wheelhouse down to the most aggressive defensive shot. Look to get the most out of your inning! A defensive shot played so as to limit your opponent's response can be considered aggressive. From these positions it becomes easier to anticipate an opponent's response to your shot thereby having a better understanding of what you may do next. Dr. Bill offered one such scenario when he suggested rolling the 14 off the foot rail and over to the opposite side rail forcing an up table game. Though that shot is primarily defensive in nature it can be considered somewhat aggressive because it forces a specific response. This option I would classify as an aggressive defensive shot if the goal is to force an up-table game.

In the situation shown in this thread there have been a few options which deserve consideration. B.H.'s shot being one of them. This is where I believe it comes down to degrees of aggressiveness. Though B.H.'s shot is relatively safe, it does not offer an immediate scoring opportunity whereas GC's shot does. Can something go wrong with either shot? Maybe. Can either shot produce a positive outcome? Certainly. For my money playing a strong player, I will elect to go with the shot which offers immediate scoring potential which also includes ample follow-up shots and offers a reasonably safe outcome. BH's shot is aggressive certainly, but it doesn't come close to the aggressiveness G.C. suggested in his choice which by the way was what Alex attempted.

Now as to Alex's execution of the shot, he failed only in controlling the cue ball adequately. He had plenty of room to navigate the cue ball up table and I would not doubt he would love to have had that shot to shoot over again. I think we can all agree the shot was without doubt well within his wheelhouse.

You are all welcome to agree or disagree. That is your prerogative. This is simply the way I view the game.

Tom

Last edited:

sorackem

Well-Known-Member
A particularly good WWYD I think.

As much as I like banking the stripe to top rail and back to crash the 7 & 5 (?) while hiding cb up there w/3ball traffic to his hole; I'd play one of Larry's early shots.
I'm banking the stripe top rail to make it leaving cb tight as possible to the up-table side rail there.
It's a very makeable shot and it's easy to keep the cb behind those three down the rail.
With a bit more cover I'd play the break up and hide but here I'm not brave enough and I think it can be made.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
Just for clarification this was GC's shot very early on.
Give credit where credit is due guys. post #5

might consider 14-15carom off the 5..... get cue behind 6 or up table close to rail behind the 1.
Sorry, I didn't see his entry or I would have just said , this is my shot also.

GoldCrown

Verified Member
Sorry, I didn't see his entry or I would have just said , this is my shot also.
I’m not concerned about being first or correct but feels good as I’m at the point where I’m comfortable posting and not feeling like a jackass if I’m way off. It’s intimidating at first but I’m past that. I appreciate being a member here and the support. I’m learning from each and everyone and I thank you. Special thanks to Tom that constantly steers me straight. The fun continues.

Last edited:

GoldCrown

Verified Member
You have come a long way gold crown
Congrats 👍
Larry
And thanks again for introducing me to 1p org and Tom. I owe you … name it. Anyway I like your 3 choices and weighed them. At that point I thought to look for any other options. The fun of WWYD is no time clock.