You Need 2

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
I believe it was Johnny 'Irish' Lineen that could hit a spot shot and draw the cue ball past the side pocket. Please correct me if I am mistaken.
Whitey

What if you removed those two balls do you think you would of got there?
I believe those balls are just an add on, as are the other balls.

By the way, Happy New Year! I hope down the road we once again pick back up where we left off on the 5 rack OP. Whitey
I’d be more than willing to bet $100 and give anyone on onepocket.org 10 tries at this shot as diagramed.

Im not saying it’s not a viable shot with balls positioned differently because I’ve played this shot several times against opponents.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I’d be more than willing to bet $100 and give anyone on onepocket.org 10 tries at this shot as diagramed.

Im not saying it’s not a viable shot with balls positioned differently because I’ve played this shot several times against opponents.
Wow

Bob Jewett

Verified Member
From
Berkeley, CA
I believe it was Johnny 'Irish' Lineen that could hit a spot shot and draw the cue ball past the side pocket. Please correct me if I am mistaken....
This is wandering a little, but...

If you mean he drew the cue ball to the side cushion he was shooting from and then across the table to the other side cushion at the side pocket, then I will believe it. If you mean he drew the cue ball into the side pocket on the same side of the table as the cue ball started, then no. The only way to make that shot is with a masse shot.

Here is the shot I think is reasonable:

CropperCapture[224].jpg

Here it is with masse:

CropperCapture[225].jpg

I have seen the following shot, but I only saw it once and there might have been something funny going on like a snooker cue ball.

CropperCapture[226].jpg

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Thanks Whitey for the demos, BTW I looked at the original layout, I still think it's doable.
Thank you, and Billy will be glad to hear that, especially coming from you.
I have come somewhat close in trying the original layout. My balls are extremely old and have lost their pizzazz. In town at the pool hall on a 9' I feel I have a chance, for their rails are more conducive and their balls draws tremendously easy compared to mine. No comparison really.
Whitey

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
You have the bottom right pocket and you need 2
#1. Is it possible to get out from here?
#2 If yes , is it worth trying, from here?
#3 Last question, Why?
We are all different, and we think differently, just because I like particular shots and dislike others , does not make them correct or incorrect , for anyone except me , my goal with these scenarios , is to give you different perspectives on how to play the game.
One thing I learned very quickly was that any decent player who has played for a while , learns most of the standard shots, they recognise them when it is their turn and also when they are leaving them for you.
That means if you can't outshoot them , you are a favorite to lose.
Pretty obvious ,correct? What to do ?
You have to find the "hidden "shots they don't recognise as dangerous and master them! I'm not talking about gopher shots , where you try some low percentage shot that sells out if you miss, I mean to practice the concept of the shot , until you know where all of your boundaries are, and when to shoot it , and when not to. Then you will hit it with confidence , which is 50% of the battle.
Thank you, nice shot!

brexit

Verified Member
From
Atlanta, GA
Great shot, Whitey.

It reminded me a little of this shot by Alex against Busty @ 5 mins 15 secs in this video...

Here you go Bob, your VP set up. I was skeptical but once I realized that I had to throw the 1 ball it started to come together.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/rz3SCLcHw7dZ4XPf8 I hit it perfect, and then, I have to laugh!
https://photos.app.goo.gl/XUo4wATx89afSV4o8 on this one I finally stroked it better.

The 1 ball is set up 1-1/2" below the 1st diamond side rail @ 17-1/2" off the side rail, which is 1-1/3 diamonds.
My very first video using straight draw was set at 21" off the first diamond @ 1-1/2 diamond.

thanks guys, I enjoyed working through these shots. And it makes me realize that I need to put work on the old stroke. Whitey

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Thanks Steve!
We are truly blessed to have Billy Jackets survive the virus, and come back strong and doing threads.
Happy New Year to you and your family and a Happy New Year to your OP.org site. That too is a blessing in and of itself!
Whitey
Thats great to hear.

My 78 year old boss and his wife got Covid and had mild symptoms for several days. I just flew an 80 something year old couple to the Turks. Husband was sick for five days and his wife was sick a little longer. It’s encouraging that Covid isn’t necessarily a death sentence for older people.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
clearly that only works with the hand movements afterwards
Same shot , only his was much easier. I set mine up at about the maximum , which in hind
site was a mistake , I should have taken the 2 balls out of the corner also, I just put them there to emphasize the action , which was not necessary and I may have put the furthest out a half ball too far . I remember the shot with the ball bending extremely fast but it is mighty hard to duplicate and was unnecessary, as the shot is tough enough from there to begin with. I went down last night to see if I could come close , I haven't hit 10 balls in 18 months and my back and shoulders are trash, I made it the first try in my damp basement with both ball bases on the line and at the diamonds as I showed in the diagram , my cueball went straight down table to about 6 inches off the bottom rail and the bank went in my pocket. It was probably the best I ever hit the shot. I never dreamt I would even come close so I didn't even consider videoing it. I will the next time.
I understand people being skeptical , you saw how proud Alex was that he made the soft version. The shot is very makeable and the shape is also possible . If you can consistently hit the angle for the bank and send it to your pocket , the up side ,outweighs the downside in my opinion.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Same shot , only his was much easier. I set mine up at about the maximum , which in hind
site was a mistake , I should have taken the 2 balls out of the corner also, I just put them there to emphasize the action , which was not necessary and I may have put the furthest out a half ball too far . I remember the shot with the ball bending extremely fast but it is mighty hard to duplicate and was unnecessary, as the shot is tough enough from there to begin with. I went down last night to see if I could come close , I haven't hit 10 balls in 18 months and my back and shoulders are trash, I made it the first try in my damp basement with both ball bases on the line and at the diamonds as I showed in the diagram , my cueball went straight down table to about 6 inches off the bottom rail and the bank went in my pocket. It was probably the best I ever hit the shot. I never dreamt I would even come close so I didn't even consider videoing it. I will the next time.
I understand people being skeptical , you saw how proud Alex was that he made the soft version. The shot is very makeable and the shape is also possible . If you can consistently hit the angle for the bank and send it to your pocket , the up side ,outweighs the downside in my opinion.
It’s great you could take the shot to the table. It’s a beautiful shot

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Some players have certain shots that they own. Congrats for making your shot! That puts a smile on my face!
Whitey

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
I know that with good conditions I could get the action necessary to execute how you layed it out(not every time) with just a very little adjustment I can make the bank and get the proper action off the cue ball and on faster equipment it is so much easier to arc the cue ball and move the cue ball the length of the table

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I know that with good conditions I could get the action necessary to execute how you layed it out(not every time) with just a very little adjustment I can make the bank and get the proper action off the cue ball and on faster equipment it is so much easier to arc the cue ball and move the cue ball the length of the table
I know you can also. When my cueball goes too far forward it is always because I tried to muscle the shot instead of letting the stroke move the ball .

Ok I went back down and played the shot about 5 more times , this time I put donuts on the table in the correct spots first . Then I tried it.
I am getting the bank close a lot , but my cueball action stunk, I was scratching most of the time , which means I am getting no draw. I moved both balls a half diamond back to work my way up, and I did get my cueball to go down table 3 or 4 times 1 to the side pocket and three to the end rail , I am hitting the bank in the correct spot it's getting close to the pocket most of the time or going in , I just can't follow through any more. I don't know how I made the shot the other day , I must have unknowingly had it set up off angle, sorry about that pilot.
I am trying to video it , but its been probably 10 years since I messed with it, and I keep doing things wrong . I taped about 10 shots and realized the camera had moved and half of it was missing , then I forgot to turn the recorder on , sheesh , sometimes I feel like my mind left, and forgot to say goodbye. Oh well , what I lack in skill, I make up for in stubborness.

Last edited: