Z banks

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
any thoughts on a better way to figure out these? never mind about the balls heading to the other side of the table, I wasn't paying attention when I started to diagram it.

On page 1, I was messing around on a bar table and was hitting this one with outside english, which made for it really going long off the 2nd rail. On Page 2, this is the shot that Lassiter took on his last ball on the video that was posted the other day. Page 3 is the long rail version.

Do any of you shoot these very often? Do you mostly shoot these when there isn't much else, or you can lock the cueball up on something, therefore it's kind of a free shot at your pocket?

Just curious what others aiming methods are, and whether they tend to use english or not, if they have both alternatives to choose from.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3LMTc4PKPg3gMTc3gbWi1gcSw1gcSw2gaEb4kKPg3kKwe3kLNe3kLui3kMcm3kMsr3kNbF3kFtJ4uCdM@2LKOS1POOV2gKOS2gaxy1gcXC2gYvc1kOOV2kIbS2kOeH@3MNOV3PPnl3hNOV2hGbq4hKrm1hchl3kPnl3kNWf2kTbp@[/CUETABLE]

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Z Bangers

Z Bangers

CaliRed said:
any thoughts on a better way to figure out these? never mind about the balls heading to the other side of the table, I wasn't paying attention when I started to diagram it.

On page 1, I was messing around on a bar table and was hitting this one with outside english, which made for it really going long off the 2nd rail. On Page 2, this is the shot that Lassiter took on his last ball on the video that was posted the other day. Page 3 is the long rail version.

Do any of you shoot these very often? Do you mostly shoot these when there isn't much else, or you can lock the cueball up on something, therefore it's kind of a free shot at your pocket?

Just curious what others aiming methods are, and whether they tend to use english or not, if they have both alternatives to choose from.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3LMTc4PKPg3gMTc3gbWi1gcSw1gcSw2gaEb4kKPg3kKwe3kLNe3kLui3kMcm3kMsr3kNbF3kFtJ4uCdM@2LKOS1POOV2gKOS2gaxy1gcXC2gYvc1kOOV2kIbS2kOeH@3MNOV3PPnl3hNOV2hGbq4hKrm1hchl3kPnl3kNWf2kTbp@[/CUETABLE]

Z Bangers are covered quite nicely in my book, Banking With The Beard on p.170-171.

Beard

Attachments

• 3.2 Banking W-Beard New fixed4_img_138 (600 x 382).jpg
    3.2 Banking W-Beard New fixed4_img_138 (600 x 382).jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 0

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
fred bentivegna said:
Z Bangers are covered quite nicely in my book, Banking With The Beard on p.170-171.

Beard

Your books and DVD's are on my want list. Thanks... I really got to get serious and learn some of these systems. I have always relied on "feel" for banking.

How much of your banking do you do by "feel"? I assume there are a good many shots that you just shoot, where there are the tougher ones involving multiple rails that you might be measuring up spots to hit and all.

What percentage do you bank by "feel" and what percentage by measuring up the bank using a system?

twister

Verified Member
From
Boston, MA
That's a great question about feel Red, and I often have the same thoughts when I work on my banks game. Most of what I shoot is by feel too, and I've found that with certain banks that I'm not yet comfortable with (like 2 or 3 railers), it helps to have a few systems committed to memory. I also wonder at what point these systems become 'feel' when you played with them long enough like most pros have.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
It differs

It differs

CaliRed said:
Your books and DVD's are on my want list. Thanks... I really got to get serious and learn some of these systems. I have always relied on "feel" for banking.

How much of your banking do you do by "feel"? I assume there are a good many shots that you just shoot, where there are the tougher ones involving multiple rails that you might be measuring up spots to hit and all.

What percentage do you bank by "feel" and what percentage by measuring up the bank using a system?

It all depends on how much I am dogging it. More dog, more system.

Beard

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
i once heard a pro giving a lesson to another player "if you had to go to an important interview and it was time to get dressed you would turn the light on in the closet to be sure your pants shirt tie were color coordinated. you would not get dressed in the dark. shooting banks by "feel" without something to aim at is like dressing in the dark"
i think you learn where to aim with a system and as you do it thousands of times you subconciously learn to "feel" it. so on a damp day or fast cloth etc you can adjust. imho

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
CaliRed said:
any thoughts on a better way to figure out these?
On page 1, I was messing around on a bar table and was hitting this one with outside english, which made for it really going long off the 2nd rail.

With outside english and hit firm the english takes on the 2nd rail, so your target should be no more than 1/2 way to the opposite corner pocket.

CaliRed said:
Do any of you shoot these very often? .

Almost every time I play.
CaliRed said:
Do you mostly shoot these when there isn't much else, or you can lock the cueball up on something, therefore it's kind of a free shot at your pocket? .

It's often a free shot, although I don't see many other people shoot them.

CaliRed said:
Just curious what others aiming methods are, and whether they tend to use english or not, if they have both alternatives to choose from..

I've read Freddies book and recommend it. I'm sure he'd agree there's more than one way to shoot most banks. Below are 4 examples of this shot, with english. page #4 giving an example of a target on the next table. It's only a reference point, if it doesn't work on the table where your playing adjust it.:)
Rod.
PS, If you draw any of these shots, the change is the OB stiffs on the 2nd rail, it doesn't work as well, because you have to come to close to your opponents pocket. IE Pages #1 & #2

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AATl4EALT4PJRq4UATl3UcNn4UdFL3UbSj4YALT3YDNS3YCwT4kJRq4kBqk4kBqU4kDtf1uAAQ@3Aaqa1ESUh4PJaq3Uaqa4UcgG3UcAj4kJaq3kYkU3kbvt1kHhr1kdDA1kYbP1kYSP1kYCK1uAAQ@4AUnK4EKCi4PWXH4UUnK4UThq2UDht7Ualczc4kWXH4kVMB4kchJ8kNEnzc3uBnM@3EYjk3PLVw2QTaM3YYjk3YaxY3YcUP1YcMJ2YYfa3kLVw3kXtp3kXEn3kcNP3kOKm3kLHv2qQtFCB_A_Would_be&approx._target&on_next&table.&ZZ4uAIT@[/CUETABLE]

Greyghost

Verified Member
From
Lafayette, LA
I aim for Z banks using the mirror system, just double the width of the table....find the spot on the wall, firm hit with some outside...works pretty well for me. I might not split the wicket with everyone of em, but I'll sit her close to the hole all day long.

All i have to do is adjust speed and spin to tweak it, but I'm used to the spot on the wall thing, it takes awhile to get used to mentally see those extra distances.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Z banks are a nightmare for me. Looks like no matter how I hit them they stiff up at the second rail. Rarely do I see one go long. In tight quarters I have to go mighty close to the wrong hole. I shoot a bunch of extreme cut shots to avoid Z banks. I hit those better, too.

Of course, here in south Louisiana I have to hammer them pretty good to get them there at all. I will keep trying, as I know some people get better results than I do. :eek:

Dudley

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
Greyghost said:
I aim for Z banks using the mirror system, just double the width of the table....find the spot on the wall, firm hit with some outside...works pretty well for me. I might not split the wicket with everyone of em, but I'll sit her close to the hole all day long.

All i have to do is adjust speed and spin to tweak it, but I'm used to the spot on the wall thing, it takes awhile to get used to mentally see those extra distances.

I really like this method Greyghost...... I use the mirror system to help see a bank shot here and there but I never thought of doubling it for z banks.

I will put this to good use in the near future. :D

Dudley

Greyghost

Verified Member
From
Lafayette, LA
yea i don't use it much for basic one railers and such, but on z banks its basically what i rely on for the most part...diff systems work better for certain shots and thats the case with this one for me.