C. Deuel vs. S.V.B. 2012 Tunica

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
The odds of me beating anyone playing even one-pocket are extremely small, I haven't played anyone in three weeks but I did break even then. Of course, there are idiots who sit in chairs on the sidelines for 35 years and point at guys and say "you guys should be playing each other". No matter that I've already beaten the guys they put forth.

P.S. Does this post of yours teasing me mean that it's open season on teasing and insulting each other once again? Inquiring minds want to know.

Dennis
You're the one that knows everything, i'm just another "moron". What have I ever done for pool that I didn't get paid for? As far as "degrading" not teasing, that depends on which one of you show up.:D

Dr. Bill

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Easy shot is the 2 rail stop shot on the 1 although it just an inning move not a winning move.

Very good Fish, you win a cookie:p. Recognizing the weakness of the shot is also to your credit. With the 6 & 7 being on the same line it's extremely difficult to get the 1 to carom off the 6 towards your pocket after hitting the 7. That's why I didn't care for the shot before SVB shot it but he didn't listen to me:eek:. He also let the cueball drift down a little.

lll said:
inquiring minds want to know what was the shot of the pro in the match

Easy there Larry, the 24 hours hasn't even expired yet:frus:D

SVB shot the 1 two-rails into the 7 and left a cross-corner bank on the 1.

svb4.jpg

svb's leave1.jpg

svb's leave2.jpg

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I looked at the overhead again and the only real danger is if the 10 ball comes over to the pocket.

Looks like you could hit the 1 ball too thin easier than too thick.

Bill S.
When I look at the overhead, it looks like you might need to cut the 15 a little to get something close to a half-ball hit -- as I see it hitting the 15 straight ahead you could indeed hit the 1-ball too full and leave the 15 nearby. You can't afford to cut the 15 at all if you want to kill it there, so the angle has to lay just right as it lies. For that reason I like splitting the 6 & 7 and sticking there.

I love your shot Bill if the angle is there, but it looks a wee bit off to me in the pics.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
When I look at the overhead, it looks like you might need to cut the 15 a little to get something close to a half-ball hit -- as I see it hitting the 15 straight ahead you could indeed hit the 1-ball too full and leave the 15 nearby. You can't afford to cut the 15 at all if you want to kill it there, so the angle has to lay just right as it lies. For that reason I like splitting the 6 & 7 and sticking there.

I love your shot Bill if the angle is there, but it looks a wee bit off to me in the pics.
The shot is to hit the rail before the ball, not the ball first. If you hit the rail before the ball and hit it decently there's no chance
of the 15ball sticking around. However, if you hit too high on the rail before striking the 1ball there's a chance of not getting the movement off the 15ball that's needed. There's quite a bit of margin for error with this shot, and it's a good shot in this situation. IMO.

But I agree that if the angle is not straight on, then the shot plays much more difficult.

Dr Bill

onepockethacker

Verified Member
The shot is to hit the rail before the ball, not the ball first. If you hit the rail before the ball and hit it decently there's no chance
of the 15ball sticking around. However, if you hit too high on the rail before striking the 1ball there's a chance of not getting the movement off the 15ball that's needed. There's quite a bit of margin for error with this shot, and it's a good shot in this situation. IMO.

But I agree that if the angle is not straight on, then the shot plays much more difficult.

Dr Bill

Anyone thinking the 15 ball would stick around really needs to work on their game "off" the table let alone on it. Usually from the chair guys can at least see whats going to happen..whether or not they can execute is a different story. I think I learned the 15 ball would leave the area the first week i started playing pool.

tylerdurden

Verified Member
Very good Fish, you win a cookie:p. Recognizing the weakness of the shot is also to your credit. With the 6 & 7 being on the same line it's extremely difficult to get the 1 to carom off the 6 towards your pocket after hitting the 7. That's why I didn't care for the shot before SVB shot it but he didn't listen to me:eek:. He also let the cueball drift down a little.

View attachment 7490

View attachment 7491

View attachment 7492

I am really surprised to see the cb do that. I mean that is the whole shot, dont shoot it unless you can at least stop your ball. Isn't like at 100% execution for all players to stop their ball? I would have favored a back up a ball on that stroke.

Another note, he was a hair from the action on the 1, 6, 7 8 etc turning out a lot better. That is one of the few spot to get not to get good weight on the 6. If he catches a little less 7, it is turning out a lot better. BUT, you have to at least stop your ball. I mean cmon, do you think he was even trying to stop the ball? That is just odd to me.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I am really surprised to see the cb do that. I mean that is the whole shot, dont shoot it unless you can at least stop your ball. Isn't like at 100% execution for all players to stop their ball? I would have favored a back up a ball on that stroke.

Another note, he was a hair from the action on the 1, 6, 7 8 etc turning out a lot better. That is one of the few spot to get not to get good weight on the 6. If he catches a little less 7, it is turning out a lot better. BUT, you have to at least stop your ball. I mean cmon, do you think he was even trying to stop the ball? That is just odd to me.

if he stops the cue ball or draws alittle he hides the 1 ball
i dont see much offensive for corey from there
sv1.jpg

THood

From
Westford, MA

View attachment 7490

View attachment 7491

View attachment 7492

I gotta agree with Tyler Durden here. The whole defense of the shot is the kill. If you ain't got that goin' on, none of the shots we've discussed here are any good for ya. Just sayin' :heh

bstroud

Verified Member
It is obvious to me at least that svb shot the wrong shot and executed it poorly.

He may be a great player but that does not mean he knows how to play one pocket.

Knowing the correct shot to shoot only comes after years and years of playing the game and seeing the results of your efforts. The right shot for some is the wrong shot for others.

I am learning myself that shots that worked before simmonis cloth don't work now. I am learning new shots every time I play.

The balls, the cloth and now the strategy is much different than I remember so I change my play. It is the only way to win.

That's what it's all about isn't it?

Bill S.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.

If the CB is stopped or drawn back the 1 ball goes to a different spot.
Rod.

JohnInNH

Verified Member
From
GOFFSTOWN, NH
I like 2-railing the 1 into the stack. It loosens things up a bit, maybe lets me see something next time I'm left long, plus it's high percentage. I see this as a better option than the 7-6 clear. Moving balls out of the other guy's hole is a good thing, but moving balls into mine at the same time is a better thing.

Now the 7-6 carom is interesting. Well hit, this could be good. It puts at least the six my direction and if you can drift whitey into the stack, all the better. Over all, though, if I can move the whole stack, I rather do that than only the six. Two-railing the 1 is my move I think. 'Course I lose a lot.

I set the balls up on my table (diamond pro, 860hr) exactly as described in the overhead view, on my first shot I played the one ball with one tip left on the 1, center on the cue ball, the 1 hit the rail, went 2 rails into the last 2 balls in the rack, opened 3 balls to svb pocket, cue ball ended up tight on the 7 with a direct path to the center diamond on the bottom rail, may have been just a lucky shot, but I would play it again.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Anyone thinking the 15 ball would stick around really needs to work on their game "off" the table let alone on it. Usually from the chair guys can at least see whats going to happen..whether or not they can execute is a different story. I think I learned the 15 ball would leave the area the first week i started playing pool.

You shouldn't have told me that, Rob. When you wolf on me now I'm gonna say, "I'm working on my game off the table."

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan

TD,

I think he was mindful of the 1 ball hitting the 7 and then the cueball if he stopped the cueball. That's probably why he drifted the rock forward a little.

Dennis

tylerdurden

Verified Member
If the CB is stopped or drawn back the 1 ball goes to a different spot.
Rod.

Do you feel it would go longer, or shorter?

There are many good things that can happen if that one goes shorter (skimming the 7). And longer there could be similar good things happening. I just would not worry too much, it isn't the type of spot where you can pick and choose exactly where that 1 is going. But definitely stop the cb. Anyway, that is just how I feel about the shot, stop the cb and don't think too much.

To Dennis, I don't see the danger of the 1 coming back into the cb. If I do see it, it is slight. But yes, that could be it.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Do you feel it would go longer, or shorter?

There are many good things that can happen if that one goes shorter (skimming the 7). And longer there could be similar good things happening. I just would not worry too much, it isn't the type of spot where you can pick and choose exactly where that 1 is going. But definitely stop the cb. Anyway, that is just how I feel about the shot, stop the cb and don't think too much.

To Dennis, I don't see the danger of the 1 coming back into the cb. If I do see it, it is slight. But yes, that could be it.

Shorter.
You're right, if I was shooting the 1 ball, taking care of the CB would be my main aim. I'd probably shoot the shot Dennis diagrammed.
Rod.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
if i undersand strouds shot
this is it
only way to stick it is if you get too deep on the 1
View attachment 7505

Seeing this makes me believe even more that the 15 has a very strong chance to stick when it hits the 1. Bill and Rob are superior players but there are some facts here: This is a 2 dimensional photograph and not perfectly representational of the 3 dimensional reality making very accurate judgements impossible; if the 15 ball hits the one ball full in the face, it will stop; if you are going to stick the cue ball after you hit the 15, you have to hit it full in the face.

As you have diagramed this, Larry, you show the one taking off in a straight path from the approach path of the 15. This would make the 15 stop. Also, if you have any residual draw left on the cue ball after it hits the 15, the fifteen will pitch forward stightly and hit the rail below the intented spot. This could cause the 15 to hit the 1 below full in the face or to the right of full in the face, if you will. This would not be a good outcome for the shooter. I still like hitting the one full in the face and sticking the cue ball. It passes the WWAD test.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Seeing this makes me believe even more that the 15 has a very strong chance to stick when it hits the 1. Bill and Rob are superior players but there are some facts here: This is a 2 dimensional photograph and not perfectly representational of the 3 dimensional reality making very accurate judgements impossible; if the 15 ball hits the one ball full in the face, it will stop; if you are going to stick the cue ball after you hit the 15, you have to hit it full in the face.

As you have diagramed this, Larry, you show the one taking off in a straight path from the approach path of the 15. This would make the 15 stop. Also, if you have any residual draw left on the cue ball after it hits the 15, the fifteen will pitch forward stightly and hit the rail below the intented spot. This could cause the 15 to hit the 1 below full in the face or to the right of full in the face, if you will. This would not be a good outcome for the shooter. I still like hitting the one full in the face and sticking the cue ball. It passes the WWAD test.

Stroud was not clear as to his shot, I figured he meant shooting the 15 past the 1 ball like this:

bstroud said:
I'm shooting the 15 into the side rail into the 1 ball and stopping the cue ball.

Should steal the break and put Duel in real trouble.

Bill S.

bs1.jpg

THood

From
Westford, MA
Stroud was not clear as to his shot, I figured he meant shooting the 15 past the 1 ball like this:

View attachment 7507

That's what I thought he meant. I'm not strong enough to shoot that shot. I've tried shots like it and inevetably end up jawing the 15. I'm not lucky enough to make it for the other guy, either. I just rattle it and set him up for the win. I should ghost bet against myself, I could clean up.