Sportiest trap I've ever seen

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
Patrick, I'm sure that's what we all thought but were taking his word for it. I think that little blur at bottom left was a finger on the lenses when the picture was taken. Not even a bar table has these dimensions.

Disco Dave

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
I remember that the 13/7 were not on to the pocket and that the line of the cue/3 is close to were I remember but should be near but below the 1st diamond. Also I think that the 7 would have ended up a bit closer to my pocket than the sketch shows.

I know that the 7 wouldn't bank back towards his pocket as I had several balls on and near the rail below the 2nd diamond. After his shot I had several options to make one of the rail balls in my pocket which I did.

Nothing ended up near his pocket and I simply picked easy shots and safeties gradually constricting him til I made all my balls. Nothing fancy, just protecting my lead and denying him any opportunities.

Dave

WCRanger

Verified Member
That's a big game trap, alright. :eek:

But am I nuts, or are the spot and the pocket at the lower left too close together? Going by the size of the balls, I think the foot end of the table should look like the pic below, with the gray circles where the pockets would be...?

pj <- wonderin' if I'm seeing things right
chgo

P.S. The rulers are 25 inches each, scaled to the size of the balls.

I think you're right. I must've hastily looked at it when I uploaded the picture because I did so from my phone. Next time, I'll back up a little bit to get a more complete pic. Thanks everyone for the tips. I'll definitely be setting this shot up again to see if I can get out of it with any kind of consistency at all.

If I remember correctly the 13-7 threw into his pocket or near it and the cue-3 was wired to the first diamond. This picture was also taken from the side rail by my pocket so the camera may have been tilted a bit. Dunno... What I do know is I need to play Dave more often.

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
I think you're right. I must've hastily looked at it when I uploaded the picture because I did so from my phone.
I don't think it matters to the situation - I was just curious.

Here's a shot that illustrates how to know the CB's path when shooting through a frozen CB/OB:

Let's say you want to shoot through the 10 ball and have the CB go toward the upper right corner pocket (in the kitchen). Here's how you can accurately aim the CB to go there:

1. Imagine the line you want the CB to follow (solid blue line).

2. Imagine a line through the centers of the CB and 10 ball (dashed red line).

3. Imagine another line perpendicular to that line extending to the line you want the CB to follow (second dashed red line).

4. Aim the CB at the midpoint of the second dashed red line (along the dashed blue line) and stroke straight through the CB with rolling follow.

The CB will follow the solid blue line to your target.

This is a surprisingly accurate way to aim the CB when it's frozen to an OB.

pj
chgo

View attachment 25130

Attachments

• trap aim.jpg
    trap aim.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL

Here's a shot that illustrates how to know the CB's path when shooting through a frozen CB/OB:

Let's say you want to shoot through the 10 ball and have the CB go toward the upper right corner pocket (in the kitchen). Here's how you can accurately aim the CB to go there:

3. Imagine another line perpendicular to that line extending to the line you want the CB to follow (second dashed red line).

4. Aim the CB at the midpoint of the second dashed red line (along the dashed blue line) and stroke straight through the CB with rolling follow.

pj
chgo

View attachment 18327

I don't think I'll be shooting in that direction, thank you. I think I will jack up and shoot into the ball on top of the cue ball with low right. Might get lucky and curve/kick it south of the wired combo.

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
I don't think I'll be shooting in that direction, thank you.
I don't know if I would either - just wanted to illustrate that frozen CB aiming method.

I think I will jack up and shoot into the ball on top of the cue ball with low right. Might get lucky and curve/kick it south of the wired combo.
I wonder where the 3 goes with that shot...?

pj
chgo

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl

pj
chgo

View attachment 25130

great diagram and explanation patrick
fwiw
i find it easier to see the mid point of the 2 lines closer to the cue ball where the 2 lines emanate from

cueballpath.jpg

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
great diagram and explanation Patrick
Thanks, Larry.

i find it easier to see the mid point of the 2 lines closer to the cue ball where the 2 lines emanate from

View attachment 14063
Yes, so do I - you can visualize it at any distance; the same "math" applies.

You can also skip the "perpendicular line" visualization and just visually bisect the angle from the line-of-centers to your intended CB path. That's not quite as accurate - you probably have to "cheat" your aim a little toward the target (aim slightly thinner on the frozen OB) to actually hit it.

pj
chgo

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
what if...

what if...

I can't tell without actually seeing the table but what about shooting straight on into the 3 ball with some high right? The right will hold the 3 up a bit and go 2 rails cross corner at your hole and then the CB can go 2 or 3 rails back behind the stack to protect the 3.

The only thing I would be afraid of is if the CB and 3 collide along the way.

Thoughts?

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
I can't tell without actually seeing the table but what about shooting straight on into the 3 ball with some high right? The right will hold the 3 up a bit and go 2 rails cross corner at your hole and then the CB can go 2 or 3 rails back behind the stack to protect the 3.

The only thing I would be afraid of is if the CB and 3 collide along the way.

Thoughts?
Looks pretty kissy to me...

pj
chgo