most entertining players

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I've got a few shots of Pickle at Derby over the years -- here shirtless in 2008 in the action room at the West on a warm night -- overheated by the large crowd on hand.

And playing Reyes in the 9-ball at DCC in 2007 -- where he beat Reyes in fact.

...and how Reyes liked it -- losing but smiling. Incidentally, this is the only time I saw Reyes lose in a OnePocket.org shirt -- he won at least two DCC One Pocket titles in them. He shoulda known -- ain't gonna help in 9-ball : )

JAM

Verified Member
I love those pictures. Wow! How cool is that! :cool:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
JAM said:
Fatty for sure was "the" premier entertainer. The feud he had with Willie Mosconi made for good TV, and it kept pool alive in American media. :p

Who can ever forget the YouTube vintage classic of Johnston City! I still enjoy watching it and hearing Fatty talk: Johnston City Pool Hustling.
And that clip is old enough to be more like the way Fats was (so I've heard, anyway...)

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
JAM said:
I included Earl in my list. ;)

Here's a cute shot of Earl and Keith cutting up before a match at the Joss Northeast 9-Ball Tour finale in Maine. Earl was getting ready to play Karen Corr, and though he seemed confident, he wasn't liking it one bit. Keith was ribbing him, as Karen sat quiet as a churchmouse with her game face on.

Everybody knew that Karen was capable of winning, and the guys didn't like playing her because of it. Nobody wanted to get beat by the "girl." :D

How could I have missed that?

Your recollections of Earl vs Karen remind me of seeing Wade Crane at a tournament in Detroit at the Holiday Inn around 86 or so. I asked him how he was doing and he said, "Great so far; I got past my tough one," and he meant it. He was talking about beating Jean Balukas.

Last edited:

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
JAM said:
Fatty for sure was "the" premier entertainer. The feud he had with Willie Mosconi made for good TV, and it kept pool alive in American media. :p

Who can ever forget the YouTube vintage classic of Johnston City! I still enjoy watching it and hearing Fatty talk: Johnston City Pool Hustling.

The feud was more in Mosconi's mind or the public's mind than it Fatty's. I called him once right after Wide World of Sports aired a 9 ball match with him and Willie. Willie had worn cotten in his ears so as not to let Fatty's constant sharking get to him. This was the one time it didn't work and Fatty's out shot was a 3 rail billiard from the 4 ball to the hanging 9 ball for the win. Willie wouldn't shake Fatty's extended hand after the match.

I called Fatty immediately. He was home as the show had been taped previously and just now aired. I asked him why Willie wouldn't shake his hand. He said, "It don't mean nothin', ya understand? Willie's a staight pool player and they're all a little different, ya understand? He's the greatest straight pool player that ever lived. See, I'm not a straight pool player. The last time I played any straight pool was in 1936. I played Andrew Ponzi to 100 for $100 a game. We played 100 and out and 100 and out, ya understand? We played 9 hours straight and broke dead even. That was in 1936."

bozman445

Verified Member
George Fels latest column

George Fels latest column

The Geo Fels column for the July issue of the Billiard Digest is available online for view at this link: http://www.billiardsdigest.com/showblogentry.php?id=151

It coincidentally contains stories about some of the characters/personalities in the pool world.

Contained within is a funny story that involves our own guy, the Beard, and some of his antics at Bensingers.

Bozman

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Jenny your a true gem, those photos bring back a lot of memories, and I thank you again for bringing smiles to my face and probably many more.

Tell Keith I miss him being around, not that I get around much any more but I sure miss the time when it was our time.

Billy I.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
petie said:
The feud was more in Mosconi's mind or the public's mind than it Fatty's. I called him once right after Wide World of Sports aired a 9 ball match with him and Willie. Willie had worn cotten in his ears so as not to let Fatty's constant sharking get to him. This was the one time it didn't work and Fatty's out shot was a 3 rail billiard from the 4 ball to the hanging 9 ball for the win. Willie wouldn't shake Fatty's extended hand after the match.

I called Fatty immediately. He was home as the show had been taped previously and just now aired. I asked him why Willie wouldn't shake his hand. He said, "It don't mean nothin', ya understand? Willie's a staight pool player and they're all a little different, ya understand? He's the greatest straight pool player that ever lived. See, I'm not a straight pool player. The last time I played any straight pool was in 1936. I played Andrew Ponzi to 100 for $100 a game. We played 100 and out and 100 and out, ya understand? We played 9 hours straight and broke dead even. That was in 1936."
think of that
100 or no count:eek:
thats strong:D

blackeee

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Tn
JAM said:
Larry Lisciotti, Shannon Daulton, Cornbread Red, Jimmy Mataya, Alex Pagulayan, Ronnie Wiseman, Earl Strickland, Sparky, Bobby Pickle, Ronnie Allen, Luc Salvas, Ginky, Good Time Charlie, Frankie Hernandez, Scotty Townsend, Jeanette Lee, Tony Watson, Rachael Abbink, and last but not least...

...this guy! :D
Jeez! What a picture! I know Keith won't remember this but around 1994 I was playing him a tournament match at JOB in Nashville. It was hill-hill and I played what I thought was a stone cold lockup safety on the 2 with all the balls right in front of the hole. He made a MIRACULOUS kick, locked ME up and ran out when I failed to hit the 2.

I said "that was a hell of a shot Keith" He grinned and said "I know thats right"

onepocket926

Verified Member
From
Anderson, CA
...I remember....

...I remember....

...I'd have to give my vote to Ronnie as the most flamboyant (my chit don't stink)....but I think your forgetting Ritchie Florence....he put on a pretty good show....

onepocket926

Verified Member
From
Anderson, CA
...almost forgot....

...almost forgot....

...must be the "MEDs".....don't forget Bucktooth...he's always been good for a show....but don't forget to duck....just in case bullets start flying....lol....

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
As far as watching, that's been covered pretty thoroughly. As far as a fun opponent, I thought Hennessey was one of the coolest, full of jokes and full of firepower too...

Anyone know old "Smokey Joe" sometimes called "Indian Joe"? He was a hoot, entertaining with one handed jump shots and a massive stroke.

I believe his last name was Garagolia.

blackeee

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Tn
newfosgatesucks said:
As far as watching, that's been covered pretty thoroughly. As far as a fun opponent, I thought Hennessey was one of the coolest, full of jokes and full of firepower too...

Anyone know old "Smokey Joe" sometimes called "Indian Joe"? He was a hoot, entertaining with one handed jump shots and a massive stroke.
I believe his last name was Garagolia.
That would be "Smoky" Joe Bartlette. And he was a very entertaining player and a very good 9-baller. Played at my place once. Had a lot of heart but unfortunately was giving up too much weght and got busted. Last time I ever saw him. That would have been circa 1996.

BallBanger

Well-Known-Member
That would be "Smoky" Joe Bartlette. And he was a very entertaining player and a very good 9-baller. Played at my place once. Had a lot of heart but unfortunately was giving up too much weght and got busted. Last time I ever saw him. That would have been circa 1996.
Smokey Joe was the best shaft jumper in the game. He just use jacked up open handed bridge, shaft jump over two balls to make the ball he's shooting at, and run out on the hill.

BallBanger

Well-Known-Member
I've got a few shots of Pickle at Derby over the years -- here shirtless in 2008 in the action room at the West on a warm night -- overheated by the large crowd on hand.

And playing Reyes in the 9-ball at DCC in 2007 -- where he beat Reyes in fact.

...and how Reyes liked it -- losing but smiling. Incidentally, this is the only time I saw Reyes lose in a OnePocket.org shirt -- he won at least two DCC One Pocket titles in them. He shoulda known -- ain't gonna help in 9-ball : )
I knew Bobby, he'd bet it up on a bar box and he could get down!!! He busted many a player! It's a shame he's doing a 540 months in Federal Prison!!!! He's a good, nice, likable guy, who made some costly mistakes. He's probably in prison busting somebody on the pool table for convasary or books of stamps lol!

Last edited:

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
I always enjoyed the Rocket...Roger Griffis, very engaging with a Great Attitude.... and of course the big guy RIP ??? from San Diego 70's and on.

Also got to watch Ed Kelley in the back room and Janscos/ring game, he layed down that dry humor pretty good, got em all laughing while he was beating the 5 handed game at $50 on the 9. Shorty jumped in, didn't get to shoot till after paying out 5 racks in a row, got hooked at his first turn at the table and I Quote ''this is the shits''.

Last edited:

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado

Evelyn said Fat's played his best from 1940-51.