16 Players $4000 added One Pocket $1000 entry

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Doc,

Sorry, but with only a couple of exceptions I did not have my I-Pad with me. It was a great little tournament and Ace and I spent all our time there or at Reed's place eating too many steaks.

We are talking about a trip down your way soon. :)

DeeMan
How did Cliff's right shoulder appear to be holding up? He plays two balls below his normal speed when the shoulder bothers him. He did tell me that in rotation games it bothers him less because he gets to take full swings at the shots, which presumably keeps his shoulder more limber.

I might have figured that y'all would get over to Reed's (the legendary Reed Pierce).:cool: Glad to hear that he's still in business. Does he still have a couple of full-sized Diamond tables there along with the BBs? I don't guess he plays much anymore.

Definitely lemme know if you're heading for the Dixie Riviera. If Skeeter's folds we can always play at my place or at Col. Bille's. I'm a much nicer guy of course, but on the other hand Bille has booze....

~Doc

Deeman

Verified Member
That is the problem in multiple game tournaments. The top players, who often are deep in more than one tournament, often go brain dead. It becomes a matter of stamina along with skill.

Of course the upside is they are cashing in more than one tournament, but the quality of play suffers.

JJ certainly has the credentials to beat Cliff, but taking a break to play a set of nine ball had to have some effect. As the winner of the hot set, Cliff should have been given more consideration IMO.

JJ intended to play in the nine ball but pulled out at the last moment. He had struggled against Dennis in the semi's and I think selecting not to play nine ball helped him get his act together.

DeeMan

Deeman

Verified Member
How did Cliff's right shoulder appear to be holding up? He plays two balls below his normal speed when the shoulder bothers him. He did tell me that in rotation games it bothers him less because he gets to take full swings at the shots, which presumably keeps his shoulder more limber.

I might have figured that y'all would get over to Reed's (the legendary Reed Pierce).:cool: Glad to hear that he's still in business. Does he still have a couple of full-sized Diamond tables there along with the BBs? I don't guess he plays much anymore.

Definitely lemme know if you're heading for the Dixie Riviera. If Skeeter's folds we can always play at my place or at Col. Bille's. I'm a much nicer guy of course, but on the other hand Bille has booze....

~Doc

I talked to Cliff and he seemed to have it all together earlier in the tournament and didn't seem to favor his shoulder but his play was just not consistent in the late matches. I think it may say more about distractions like the 9 ball interruption than Cliff's overall game. As I said below, JJ did his own struggling at times but seemed to get it together just in time.

DeeMan

OPBEAST

Verified Member
Where can we see or purchase these matches? Seems like I missed out.:frus

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Can someone give us a little field report. I hear some of the match ups were excellent. I heard there was a bit of rule controversy in the finals. Cliff and Jeremy are 2 of my favorites. How did they comport themselves.
How was the house and the equipment?
Ive been all over the US except for the deep south (been to Florida) and hear so much of its beauty I would like to attend an event there soon.

I watched Friday night and also most of the finals via Bigtruck's live stream. It was not a big field but the talent was definitely there. The video stream was good. The first day I didn't realize the chat was on Ustream, even though I was watching the video feed via something called audioweb or the like. But Sunday I was clued into the chat.

Actually Ray called me about the rule question, but I did not see it happen. As I understand it Cliff fouled in two consecutive innings, and as Jeremy came to the table after Cliff's second foul, Jeremy notified Cliff that he was on two at that time. Then JJ shot and then Cliff came back to the table and happened to foul again -- three in a row. The issue was, that technically (according to all the standard general rules), the opponent is specifically required to notify the player on two fouls when it is the player on two fouls shot -- not when they commit the second foul. Since that did not happen, technically Cliff would only remain on two fouls for his next shot, but Cliff, being a pretty mellow fellow generally, conceded the match according to the three foul rule anyway.

Our own OnePocket.org rules do not specify at what point notice must be given, so according to our rules, that question would defer to the standard rules, which I referenced above.

According to Ray, it was not a big controversy because Cliff just conceded.

onepockethacker

Verified Member
If Jeremy Jones played pool full time and was dedicated he is the best one pocket player in the world. People don't realize how good Jeremy plays

8andout

Verified Member
I watched Friday night and also most of the finals via Bigtruck's live stream. It was not a big field but the talent was definitely there. The video stream was good. The first day I didn't realize the chat was on Ustream, even though I was watching the video feed via something called audioweb or the like. But Sunday I was clued into the chat.

Actually Ray called me about the rule question, but I did not see it happen. As I understand it Cliff fouled in two consecutive innings, and as Jeremy came to the table after Cliff's second foul, Jeremy notified Cliff that he was on two at that time. Then JJ shot and then Cliff came back to the table and happened to foul again -- three in a row. The issue was, that technically (according to all the standard general rules), the opponent is specifically required to notify the player on two fouls when it is the player on two fouls shot -- not when they commit the second foul. Since that did not happen, technically Cliff would only remain on two fouls for his next shot, but Cliff, being a pretty mellow fellow generally, conceded the match according to the three foul rule anyway.

Our own OnePocket.org rules do not specify at what point notice must be given, so according to our rules, that question would defer to the standard rules, which I referenced above.

According to Ray, it was not a big controversy because Cliff just conceded.

Worth mentioning. I believe Cliff was down -4 to 6 in the game that it happened.

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
My understanding of the three-foul notification is this: you must inform them the are on two when the step to the table for their inning. It is not sufficient to warn them after they get the second foul. You must take your inning and then tell them, presumably so that they are on notice while they are deliberating about shot selection.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Talk about splitting hairs...:rolleyes: Here are two rules saying essentially the same thing:

DCC 3-Foul Rule: If you commit 3 successive fouls in one game you lose the game. Your opponent must notify you that you are on 2 fouls immediately before your next inning.

WPA 3-foul rule: The referee must warn a shooter who is on two fouls when he comes to the table that he is on two fou
ls.

I prefer our rules better:

1p.o 3-foul rule: 7. Three fouls in a row
Three consecutive fouls is loss of game, however the opponent or tournament referee must notify the player that is on two fouls, prior to their third foul.
["prior" could mean right after the opponent's 2nd foul]

In other words-- what's the difference at what point after the opponent has committed 2 fouls he is reminded that he has done so? If reminded after his 2nd foul, what would his defense be if he came to the table for his next inning, committed another foul, and the non-offender hadn't alerted him immediately prior that he was on 3? "Oh, I forgot"??:rolleyes:

Using that logic I could run 8 balls then rake the balls to re-rack despite having a foul marker on the rail; and when questioned simply say, "Oh, I forgot. I still win." The players ought to be tasked with the responsibility to pay attention to where they stand in the game.

~Doc

backplaying

Verified Member
My understanding of the three-foul notification is this: you must inform them the are on two when the step to the table for their inning. It is not sufficient to warn them after they get the second foul. You must take your inning and then tell them, presumably so that they are on notice while they are deliberating about shot selection.

This is the ruling they used in Cal at a big one pocket tournament. Corey was involved in the call. He was told he was on two after he committed the second foul , but was not told again before he shot again and they ruled no loss of game.

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
I'm not saying it makes sense - it is just the only justification I can surmise for having to tell them right before the shoot. This type of 3 foul is the most common, so far as I know.

backplaying

Verified Member
If Jeremy Jones played pool full time and was dedicated he is the best one pocket player in the world. People don't realize how good Jeremy plays

I do. He also might be the second best banker. I have some matches with JJ playing the best and he doesn't dog it under the heat. I think he's one of the smartest one pocket players also.

Deeman

Verified Member

~Doc

Doc, so sorry I forgot to answer a couple of your questions about Reed's Place after telling you the tournament stuff.

Yes, he still has the two 9 foot Diamonds and a few bar boxes, I am sure they are also Diamonds. The foos was great as usual but on the weekend they have a loud ib-house band that, to me, did not mix well with one pocket! :)

DeeMan