8th Annual Seniors One Pocket Tournament Bogies Billiards Houston, Tx.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I recently switched pool clubs locally to a non-smoking club -- what a relief!!! I have managed to bring a couple players with me so it hasn't been that much of an issue for competition either. Before I was just tolerating the smoke for the competition. Private clubs up here can still allow smoking and most do, but this club I switched to voted to go completely nonsmoking this year, so I moved.

I notice the name of the event has changed to not mention Bogies in the event name. That surprises me.

melmackay

Player Registration Link https://forms.gle/DB86tC9LsgvJTbTS6

8th Annual Seniors One Pocket Tournament Bogies Billiards Houston, Tx.
$5000 Added-$200 Entry
September 21-24, 2023
Must be 65 by the end of 2023 to qualify.
Going to be a great tournament as always.
Live stream coverage on Pool Action TV.

View attachment 441066
I recently switched pool clubs locally to a non-smoking club -- what a relief!!! I have managed to bring a couple players with me so it hasn't been that much of an issue for competition either. Before I was just tolerating the smoke for the competition. Private clubs up here can still allow smoking and most do, but this club I switched to voted to go completely nonsmoking this year, so I moved.

I notice the name of the event has changed to not mention Bogies in the event name. That surprises me.
Can someone tell me what hotel is best for the players at this event?

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi

Yes, it's sure a great event. I enjoyed playing two of them. But now it really seems more like a semi-pro/pro event. Nothing wrong with that, but IMO it doesn't have the same feel as it used to.

lfigueroa

Verified Member
Yes, it's sure a great event. I enjoyed playing two of them. But now it really seems more like a semi-pro/pro event. Nothing wrong with that, but IMO it doesn't have the same feel as it used to.

That’s what happens when folks lose sight of the raison d'être for the event.

Lou Figueroa
just sayin’

Last edited:

BrookelandBilly

Verified Member
From
Fair Oaks Ranch, Texas
You must be referring to the two poster boys. The problem with this sport is there is no criteria for pros versus amateurs like there is in golf other than what is perceived to be a professional. What standard would you establish to be a professional player? Fargo rating? Money earned in tournaments? Sponsorshipped players? The sport lacks structure to some extent. Always has. Maybe they should handicap the matches.

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
nother
That’s what happens when folks lose sight of the raison d'être for the event.

Lou Figueroa
just sayin’
I don't get the concern about pros vs amateurs. This tournament was NEVER conceived as some kind of amateur only event. the criteria has always simply been age. The first year it was 70, but they only got a very small number of players and quickly decided that over 70 was too limiting, so they lowered it to 65. Even with that it has taken a while to get to more than 24 players.

From the beginning there have been retired pros like Billy, and shortly after, Nick Varner, plus from the beginning there were players that had played very near or at pro level, just maybe not the household names of guys like Billy and Nick (I'm thinking of Tall Jeff, Tom Wirth and the Sniper, for examples). Never any kind of restrictions on player level at all, whether Fargo or "pro" or "amateur" in the slightest. On the contrary, I would say the goal was to provide an event that showcases the deep knowledge and experience that only seniors can bring to some degree, and give them a competitive format without the presence of young players still in their prime that would swoop in and dominate.

This has been the theme all the way through the years, and it has been successful enough that the number of players has continued to rise, and the level of competition has also risen with the larger fields, so the money has also been able to go up.

The event has never been a onepocket.org event, even though we have been a huge part of promoting it and covering it and recruiting players for it -- it is still not our event, and nobody entering has to be a member. Bogies and Ray control everything about it, even if they might approach us for input and outreach.

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
If any of you want to be concerned about anything about how Bogie's runs this tournament, then I would suggest a couple of points which might find receptive ears, because honestly I think they like having retired pros play in this. So how about these questions:

1. If the field fills too much at 65 such that it is simply too many players, then hell yeah, go ahead and move up the age to 66 the next year, and 67 even the year after, and so on until you feel like you have found the perfect balance for a successful tournament field. But doing it one year at a time you don't freeze out anyone who has already qualified to play in a prior one.

2. Figure out how to better manage match times, because it is a fact that the over 65 crowd has a disproportionate number of players that like to "look 'em over", and are very comfortable with long games, even though their own stamina and health issues might come into play in a tournament format like this (double elimination), which tend toward long days of play as long as you stay alive in the tournament.

Last edited:

BrookelandBilly

Verified Member
From
Fair Oaks Ranch, Texas
‘Look ‘em over‘ is an understatement. It’s more like sharking. There are a few of the members and one pro in particular that I refuse to watch their matches online. I can see there next shot as soon as the balls come to rest and yet they can spend minutes circling the table like a buzzard looking at road kill.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
It will be tough to beat Ronnie Wiseman and Nick Varner, plus any number of other former pro's looking to play. It's still a fun event, there's so few 1P tournaments to play in that have around $200 entry fees. Unfortunately, I have to work that weekend.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
‘Look ‘em over‘ is an understatement. It’s more like sharking. There are a few of the members and one pro in particular that I refuse to watch their matches online. I can see there next shot as soon as the balls come to rest and yet they can spend minutes circling the table like a buzzard looking at road kill.
:ROFLMAO:

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
nother

I don't get the concern about pros vs amateurs. This tournament was NEVER conceived as some kind of amateur only event. the criteria has always simply been age. The first year it was 70, but they only got a very small number of players and quickly decided that over 70 was too limiting, so they lowered it to 65. Even with that it has taken a while to get to more than 24 players.

From the beginning there have been retired pros like Billy, and shortly after, Nick Varner, plus from the beginning there were players that had played very near or at pro level, just maybe not the household names of guys like Billy and Nick (I'm thinking of Tall Jeff, Tom Wirth and the Sniper, for examples). Never any kind of restrictions on player level at all, whether Fargo or "pro" or "amateur" in the slightest. On the contrary, I would say the goal was to provide an event that showcases the deep knowledge and experience that only seniors can bring to some degree, and give them a competitive format without the presence of young players still in their prime that would swoop in and dominate.

This has been the theme all the way through the years, and it has been successful enough that the number of players has continued to rise, and the level of competition has also risen with the larger fields, so the money has also been able to go up.

The event has never been a onepocket.org event, even though we have been a huge part of promoting it and covering it and recruiting players for it -- it is still not our event, and nobody entering has to be a member. Bogies and Ray control everything about it, even if they might approach us for input and outreach.
The first two years it was 70 and over. Billy I lost the first two years, decided to get in stroke and won the first 65 and over with Jerry Matchin coming in 2nd in a marathon. Bogies got what they wanted, recognition and better players because they added more $$ after they lowered the age limit. It is still a great event, but the more $ they add, the number of better players will also show up.