"Adages" and "Old Saws" for One Pocket

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
If there is already something like this, please ignore.
This is mostly to help beginners and lower ranked players , just to have some idea of what to be thinking .
I will start with 2 very often overlooked concepts by beginners.

1. Get above the balls !

{In most cases , you want to start runs from higher on the table than most of the makeable balls , because it is usually easier to run them.}
If anyone has a better way of explaining this concept please do.

2. Many times , clearing your opponents pocket while you can , is the best shot!

I think all of us experienced players will think back to games where we had a great chance to clear an opponents pocket area , shot something else , and then had to deal with that ball for half an hour every shot as punishment.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
This is mostly to help beginners and lower ranked players , just to have some idea of what to be thinking .

1. Get above the balls !

{In most cases , you want to start runs from higher on the table than most of the makeable balls , because it is usually easier to run them.}

2. Many times , clearing your opponents pocket while you can , is the best shot!

I think all of us experienced players will think back to games where we had a great chance to clear an opponents pocket area , shot something else , and then had to deal with that ball for half an hour every shot as punishment.
Please everyone, feel free to add any of your own ideas.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire

1. Get above the balls !

My book is loaded with these -- so no cheating by just leafing through lol. Most of which I collected (and attributed, if I knew who said it), but quite a few that I tried to distill myself out of the nature of the game.

Would you call those "new saws"? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
My book is loaded with these -- so no cheating by just leafing through lol. Most of which I collected (and attributed, if I knew who said it), but quite a few that I tried to distill myself out of the nature of the game.

Would you call those "new saws"? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
yep new saws. sorry I have not had a chance to read your book yet, so I did not know. Looking forward to it, thanks.

Reactions: lll

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
# ➖.01

Study long, study wrong.
For some players it appears they already know what they are going to shoot, but sometimes (or often!) it still takes them a while for them to get settled so they are finally "ready" to shoot. Extra chalking, getting down and back up more than once, or maybe even circling the table again, but for some of these players it appears to be more about settling themselves than it is to study alternative shots.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
For some players it appears they already know what they are going to shoot, but sometimes (or often!) it still takes them a while for them to get settled so they are finally "ready" to shoot. Extra chalking, getting down and back up more than once, or maybe even circling the table again, but for some of these players it appears to be more about settling themselves than it is to study alternative shots.
I think on a lot of shots, after playing thousands of games , most players spot the best shots pretty quickly, but I have had enough times where I thought of the best shot, right after I shot a weaker one, I was never in a hurry to play fast, especially when something important was on the line. It took me until I had quit playing to figure out that I always allowed myself to have too many emotions during a match. If I missed even a extremely difficult shot , I blamed myself for dogging it, most of it was too high of expectations, if i played great one day, I expected to never play poorly again, but that's not how life works, sometimes you are tired or emotionally unfit or even impaired, all you can do is shoot the best possible shot with confidence and concentration that you can .

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
"whats next?"
told to me by my house pro when your opponent dangles /tries to tempt you with a tough/miss-able shot
if it leads to only 1 ball
maybe its best to pass on it
ie no reward except that 1 ball