Concentration

Hardmix

Verified Member
From
Cumming Ga
The world record for free throws is 2750 and it was completed in 12 hrs in 1993. The shooter, a retired podiatrist, said he could have made many many more had it not been for the janitor closing the gym.

According to his notes, he made 500 consecutive free throws on 473 separate occasions.

"A free throw takes six seconds, and you can't think of anything else during those six seconds," he explained to Sports Illustrated in 1994.

This mans ability to concentrate for those 6 seconds 2750 times in 12 hrs is absolutely astounding to me. Persoanlly, I think many of my misses can be attributed to concentration. This is something I am going to work on in 2017 for better performance on the pool table and golf course.

Ben

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
The world record for free throws is 2750 and it was completed in 12 hrs in 1993.
Amazing.

"A free throw takes six seconds, and you can't think of anything else during those six seconds,"

People with extraordinary ability don't necessarily understand why they are able to deploy it. I agree that extraneous thoughts about irrelevant things would be disruptive the zone he's able to put himself in, but I also believe that thinking about the shot or any part of the mechanics of making it would be just as harmful. I think the trick is completely quieting the mind, thinking only about what the eyes see. The kind of concentration that works, IMO, is total focus on the target.

Skepticism about "my" theory is legit, since I haven't been able do it. My brain won't SHUT UP! (at least not yet.)

This is something I am going to work on in 2017 for better performance on the pool table and golf course.

Ben

Consider this something like a hog farmer advising a rocket scientist about solid fuel.

Try this.

1) Decide on the shot you want to execute;
2) Decide what English you want to use;
3) Get down on the shot and see how it "feels;"
4) Get up off the shot;
5) Imagine relaxing every muscle in your body, especially in your shooting arm, wrist and hand;
6) Take your shooting stance;
7) Focus 100% on the target;
8) Let it happen.

Invoice in the mail. :heh

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
Consider this something like a hog farmer advising a rocket scientist about solid fuel.

Try this.

4) Get up off the shot;
5) Imagine relaxing every muscle in your body, especially in your shooting arm, wrist and hand;
8) Let it happen.

Yeah, that oughtta frustrate all the speedy play advocates wonderfully!:eek::rolleyes:

You think we all oughtta write the eight step program on our wrists?:D

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Yeah, that oughtta frustrate all the speedy play advocates wonderfully!:eek::rolleyes:

You think we all oughtta write the eight step program on our wrists?:D

No, like everything else, you practice this until it becomes natural and only has to be deployed in competition when a shot is difficult. (wise ass :D )

poolisboring

Verified Member
From
toledo
when i was younger, i was a video game wizard and i played pacman for 5 hrs and 15 minutes without losing a man, and at 3,180,000 or so, the screen split, and that was the end of my run, when i was in the air force, i played galaga for 7 plus hrs before the game ended...... how could i concentrate like that for so long? id say, staying in the moment, and some good hand eye coordination, but staying in the moment for sure..... i feel that concentration wanes as we get older, so its important to have a little pre shot routine, be relaxed, and take our time on the pool table.......

Hardmix

Verified Member
From
Cumming Ga
I read a short article on this subject a while back. The jist of it was to practice improving your concentration try the following. Pick any word and stare at a object keeping only the word in mind. The key is to recognize when your mind strays so you can refocus.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Concentration

when i was younger, i was a video game wizard and i played pacman for 5 hrs and 15 minutes without losing a man, and at 3,180,000 or so, the screen split, and that was the end of my run, when i was in the air force, i played galaga for 7 plus hrs before the game ended...... how could i concentrate like that for so long? id say, staying in the moment, and some good hand eye coordination, but staying in the moment for sure..... i feel that concentration wanes as we get older, so its important to have a little pre shot routine, be relaxed, and take our time on the pool table.......

As a huge Galaga fan, that is super impressive!!

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Buddy Hall had legendary concentration. One time he was shooting a difficult 9-ball to win an expensive stakes match. As he was down over the ball, a big ol' June bug landed right on the back of Buddy's neck. Buddy fired the shot in for the win. After the match someone asked him how he could continue with that shot after the June bug landed on his neck. With a puzzled look, Buddy replied, "What June bug?"

~Doc

GoldCrown

Verified Member
8) Let it happen.

Concentration is my biggest enemy or best friend. It has to do with anything and everything.....pool and non-pool.
Check's in the mail.

poolisboring

Verified Member
From
toledo
Buddy Hall had legendary concentration. One time he was shooting a difficult 9-ball to win an expensive stakes match. As he was down over the ball, a big ol' June bug landed right on the back of Buddy's neck. Buddy fired the shot in for the win. After the match someone asked him how he could continue with that shot after the June bug landed on his neck. With a puzzled look, Buddy replied, "What June bug?"

~Doc
that's some concentration right there-- sometimes when I'm shooting somebody will bump me but I ignore it and continue on but there's other times when I miss a easy shot by not focusing .....

poolisboring

Verified Member
From
toledo

~Doc
do you know what's even more impressive than buddy's concentration? The fact that his opponent was able to train that June bug to jump on buddy's neck at that exact moment-- those June bugs are hard to train-- very strong willed-- just think of the patience he must have had lol:lol

Hidy Ho

Verified Member
From
BKK/SFO
that's some concentration right there-- sometimes when I'm shooting somebody will bump me but I ignore it and continue on but there's other times when I miss a easy shot by not focusing .....

It's easy not to notice distractions when I'm in groove/zone but very hard not to notice everything and anything when things are not going well :D

brexit

Verified Member
From
Atlanta, GA
Interesting topic Mr. Ben and one that I could use some help with too.

I know you're a pretty healthy guy in general but, I'm curious, have you spent any time paying attention to what you eat before and during play to see if there's any correlation between you sugar level/hunger and your concentration levels?

Losing a bunch of weight lately and cutting sugars before playing seems to have helped both my mental and physical stamina.

The world record for free throws is 2750 and it was completed in 12 hrs in 1993. The shooter, a retired podiatrist, said he could have made many many more had it not been for the janitor closing the gym.

According to his notes, he made 500 consecutive free throws on 473 separate occasions.

"A free throw takes six seconds, and you can't think of anything else during those six seconds," he explained to Sports Illustrated in 1994.

This mans ability to concentrate for those 6 seconds 2750 times in 12 hrs is absolutely astounding to me. Persoanlly, I think many of my misses can be attributed to concentration. This is something I am going to work on in 2017 for better performance on the pool table and golf course.

Ben

chicagomike

Verified Member

Good stuff! I agree 100%

JeaLouS44

Verified Member
From
FL
Amazing.

People with extraordinary ability don't necessarily understand why they are able to deploy it. I agree that extraneous thoughts about irrelevant things would be disruptive the zone he's able to put himself in, but I also believe that thinking about the shot or any part of the mechanics of making it would be just as harmful. I think the trick is completely quieting the mind, thinking only about what the eyes see. The kind of concentration that works, IMO, is total focus on the target.

Skepticism about "my" theory is legit, since I haven't been able do it. My brain won't SHUT UP! (at least not yet.)

Try this.

4) Get up off the shot;
8) Let it happen.

1) check
2) check
3) check
4) check
5) check, now back to the beginning after I pick my stick up lol.

sorry had to say it
carry on

Hardmix

Verified Member
From
Cumming Ga
Interesting topic Mr. Ben and one that I could use some help with too.

I know you're a pretty healthy guy in general but, I'm curious, have you spent any time paying attention to what you eat before and during play to see if there's any correlation between you sugar level/hunger and your concentration levels?

Losing a bunch of weight lately and cutting sugars before playing seems to have helped both my mental and physical stamina.

E that is a good thought. I am playing in Orlando tonight. I will manage the sugar levels and see how it goes.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
do you know what's even more impressive than buddy's concentration? The fact that his opponent was able to train that June bug to jump on buddy's neck at that exact moment-- those June bugs are hard to train-- very strong willed-- just think of the patience he must have had lol:lol

Got a kick outta that:lol:lol:lol thanks...

FrenchAT

Verified Member
From
Augusta, Georgia
Amazing.

Try this.

4) Get up off the shot;
8) Let it happen.

I agree 100%, the more i think that i am concentrating or baring down on a shot, the worse it gets. The truth is, your eyes and your mind are very powerful, dont get in their way.
Feherty just did a Golf Channel gig with Phil Mickelson and he said in order to play top golf you either have to be really smart or really dumb. He explained it to mean that you have to be smart enough to be thinking of what you should be focused on or be so dumb (not really being dumb) that you just go do it without thinking. He continued to say "anything in between, you just get in your own way". That is how i feel when i think about trying to fix a bad day on the felt. It goes hand in hand with not practicing while youre playing. you practiced it this way, you have been succesful, stick to it, no matter how bad it gets in a match but do not deviate. You cannot learn from trying to fix every missed shot in a match. Everyone here knows if you miss thin and think too much , youll miss the next one fat. Stick to your guns and ride it out until you can practice again.