Condensed matches, what do you think?

kross

Some of you may have noticed I've been uploading condensed matches to our YouTube channel (RailbirdsTV). 9 Ball and One Pocket. What I mean by condensed is all the dead time between shots is removed, turning a 2 hour match into a 20 minute video.

Us 9 ball players have the attention span of a goldfish, but what do you one pocket players think of this format? Do you like the condensed versions? If so, I'll keep doing more of them.

Thanks!
-- Kevin

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I hadn't seen one yet but watching this one now thanks!

I like the "idea" of it, moving thru it faster but for me I can't watch it that way, it's too fast and doesn't give me time to think about what I would do. (just my humble opinion)

kross

Thanks for your feedback. That's actually what I was worried about. The format works well for 9 ball, I just wasn't sure how it would work for one pocket.

Maybe the format will get non one pockets players interested in the game. Then when they become fans of the game, they can watch the full versions. Or maybe that's just wishful thinking. 😁

unoperro

Verified Member
Funny watching it at that speed it looked like Filler was copying Frost on the moves.

OldSchool

Verified Member
I agree with vapros and c-kid - I strongly dislike the condensed versions.

unoperro

Verified Member
I did enjoy the Filler Frost match both versions😉
Thanks for all you do.

kross

Thanks for the feedback. The videos have been getting a lot of positive feedback, but that's probably from non or casual one pocket players. That's why I wanted to ask here, for the perspective of the more serious one pocket players.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Thanks for the feedback. The videos have been getting a lot of positive feedback, but that's probably from non or casual one pocket players. That's why I wanted to ask here, for the perspective of the more serious one pocket players.

Yeah, I like em a lot. I just have to watch with my hand on the mouse to pause it quite often ..Makes me feel like I'm playing cards in a way.. lol...

kross

Yeah, I like em a lot. I just have to watch with my hand on the mouse to pause it quite often ..Makes me feel like I'm playing cards in a way.. lol...

It trains you to think faster. 🤣

Bob Jewett

Verified Member
From
Berkeley, CA
The space bar does pause/play on YouTube. I do a fair amount of pausing on one pocket and 3C condensed -- 9 ball, not so much.:giggle:

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Streamers today are using several cameras for different angles. I love the overhead view - that's where we can really see the pattern on the table - and I like to pause there. It's a sort of classroom, if you want it. Don't edit it out to save time - I've got time.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Just to piggy back on my earlier post it's not so much I don't have time to think what i would do, but I don't really get to see the entire layout in time before the shot is over. Again I applaud the idea and maybe this is the first step to something but as is I would prefer the regular version and I can always fast forward if i want to.

Keep up the good work though and I have been a subscriber for awhile now ever since I saw myself play on one of your streams. :)

Bob Jewett

Verified Member
From
Berkeley, CA
There is a condensed version of Kaçi doing an 8-pack of 10 ball against Alex Pagulayan. It's under six minutes long. It's a different kind of viewing experience -- you sort of see the bigger picture better.

Edit: Here it is.

hankh

Verified Member
From
Arrey, N.M.
Kevin, Howdy;

I'm a newer fan of the 1-P game. The interesting part to me as well as the instructional is the "dead time" where you watch the
contestants study and concoct their next shot/move.
After all would you shorten a Bobby Fischer v Boris Spassky chess match just for the sake of gaining viewers???

hank

kross

After all would you shorten a Bobby Fischer v Boris Spassky chess match just for the sake of gaining viewers???

Maybe. 🤣

Seriously though, I hope people aren't misunderstanding my intent. These videos are not replacements for the original full length videos with commentary (often by JJ). These are just extra versions for people that want them. But it does seem that the people who want them are not the people on this forum. :) That's perfectly fine, that's what I wanted to know, that's why I asked.

Honestly, when I first started making the condensed versions, I was only going to do it for 9 ball. I didn't think it would be good for one pocket. But I tried anyway, uploaded a single video, and got a lot of positive feedback. So I made a few more.

I probably won't do very many more for one pocket. I will keep doing them for 9 ball, though.

Cheers!
-- Kevin

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Maybe. 🤣

Seriously though, I hope people aren't misunderstanding my intent. These videos are not replacements for the original full length videos with commentary (often by JJ). These are just extra versions for people that want them. But it does seem that the people who want them are not the people on this forum. :) That's perfectly fine, that's what I wanted to know, that's why I asked.

Honestly, when I first started making the condensed versions, I was only going to do it for 9 ball. I didn't think it would be good for one pocket. But I tried anyway, uploaded a single video, and got a lot of positive feedback. So I made a few more.

I probably won't do very many more for one pocket. I will keep doing them for 9 ball, though.

Cheers!
-- Kevin
We appreciate you and what you do, Kevin. Thanks.