Jimmy Mataya Passed

baby huey

Verified Member
Just heard JM passed. No specifics as of yet. One of the all time good players and personalities in our game. RIP JM.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Just heard JM passed. No specifics as of yet. One of the all time good players and personalities in our game. RIP JM.
Just left Jimmy's home he passed at 3:32 pacific time. Went out there to support his family, Eva his ex wife, Nikki his daughter, and John his brother. He died of stage 4 bladder cancer. He was incoherent by the time I arrived on Thursday but he fought hard to live just like he always played pool fighting hard till the end but he was going uphill. May he rest in peace he was a special person and a player.

Bill Incardona

sorackem

Well-Known-Member
Our social markers become frail and disturbingly silent. I hope the pool that Mr. Mataya held in his heart served his life well. Rest in Peace.

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Very sad, but sounds like it was his time. May he rest in peace.

I was lucky enough to watch Jimmy play several times in the early 70s since I grew up in the Detroit area. He was a great player.

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
Just left Jimmy's home he passed at 3:32 pacific time. Went out there to support his family, Eva his ex wife, Nikki his daughter, and John his brother. He died of stage 4 bladder cancer. He was incoherent by the time I arrived on Thursday but he fought hard to live just like he always played pool fighting hard till the end but he was going uphill. May he rest in peace he was a special person and a player.

Bill Incardona

People really don’t know how good of a guy Jimmy was.

If I remember…you and he went to see Cole at the end of his time here also. 😢

All we can do is smile and laugh at the good memories and stories we have of each other.

My condolences to Jimmys loved ones. ❤️

Last edited:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I was fortunate to meet Mataya in '69. I was playing the young star Domingos on the front table at the Bellflower Palace, and in came Jimmy with a bunch of guys and he blurted out loudly; "who is that guy", meaning me. " I'am the guy that's going to take your money". But Domingos took my money first.
We were all so young. A little memory of mine of the immortal Mataya.
We'll miss him, RIP!
Whitey

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Do you remember this affair? Were you down there causing some type of commotion or what?

View attachment 442825
names to faces please?
my best guesses
right side starting from the back
bill meacham/varner?/jimmy fusco/jimmy mataya
left side from the back
?/cj wiley/?/?/ in the center jimmy reid?
i know i am off on a few
help!!!!

Jimmy B

Verified Member
names to faces please?
my best guesses
right side starting from the back
bill meacham/varner?/jimmy fusco/jimmy mataya
left side from the back
?/cj wiley/?/?/ in the center jimmy reid?
i know i am off on a few
help!!!!

Ok, Larry. I should have went ahead and posted names, I guess..... I saw the pic on Mary K.'s page and she stated it was courtesy of CJ....,

Up front is the Prince, Lisciotti . Down the right side is J Mataya, J Fusco, Bobby Hunter and Meacham

Left is Nikki, (Mataya's Daughter) Jarvis, CJ Wiley and His Wife Angela (i think)

2024-03-24 21_42_16-.png

2024-03-24 03_32_55-Window.png

Biloxi Mike, Shelby , Jimmy

2024-03-24 03_54_30-Window.png

Reactions: lll

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Do you remember this affair? Were you down there causing some type of commotion or what?

View attachment 442825
My Canon AE1 Camera
bm

Clockwise from 6pm
I don't think I need to tell you it's Larry Liscotti. :)
Nikki Mataya I think around 11-12 yrs old
Mark Jarvis/Jarvey. (gotta tell this story). In his youth, started playing real good. He'd just drilled Mizerak 7-1, so his family came down to watch his next match. Well U know he played, this Real Tall guy from the Burbs. Whole fam was there. I flipped the score on em.
CJ & wife June Wiley
Me
One and Only Bobby Hunter
Jimmy Fusco
Mataya

And then this below person showed up that week. Can't shoot a lic of One Pocket. :)

Attachments

• IMG_2241.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 18

Jimmy B

Verified Member
My Canon AE1 Camera
bm

Clockwise from 6pm
I don't think I need to tell you it's Larry Liscotti.:)
Nikki Mataya I think around 11-12 yrs old
Mark Jarvis/Jarvey. (gotta tell this story). In his youth, started playing real good. He'd just drilled Mizerak 7-1, so his family came down to watch his next match. Well U know he played, this Real Tall guy from the Burbs. Whole fam was there. I flipped the score on em.
CJ & wife June Wiley
Me
One and Only Bobby Hunter
Jimmy Fusco
Mataya

And then this below person showed up that week. Can't shoot a lic of One Pocket. :)

So his family came all that way and you flipped the script?? You should be ashamed .. damn;)