Mr. Yapp

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Just curious How Aloysius Yapp pronounces his first name.

50 Years and more ago the name was not as uncommon as it is now. I only heard it pronounced as Al-oh-ee-shus.

I'm only hearing Mr. Yapp's name pronounced Alloy-shus. Wondering whether this is his chosen pronunciation, or our error.

RedCard

Verified Member
I always pronounced all my Aloysius (Aloysiuses, Aloysiui, AloyAloysius, ?) 'Al ō wish us', which is almost certainly wrong. Fortunately I've never known one, any of them. Some of the pronunciation guides online are very confusing, often interspersed with the Omega sign. Ω. I now know this one is a good young pool player. He will soon pick up a nickname that he'll never shed. Obviating the need to call him by his first name.

RedCard

Verified Member
I always pronounced all my Aloysius (Aloysiuses, Aloysiui, AloyAloysius, ?) 'Al ō wish us', which is almost certainly wrong. Fortunately I've never known one, any of them. Some of the pronunciation guides online are very confusing, often interspersed with the Omega sign. Ω. I now know this one is a good young pool player. He will soon pick up a nickname that he'll never shed. Obviating the need to call him by his first name.
I should mention that I think it's a great name. Sort of lyrical. I've heard it pronounced before, like I wrote above, but can't remember who or where.

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
I should mention that I think it's a great name. Sort of lyrical. I've heard it pronounced before, like I wrote above, but can't remember who or where.
You may be thinking of the old pool player ‘Superstitious Aloyious’.
I believe it was Al Miller.