One Hole action in central Iowa

Bet_High

Real nice place to play some in central Iowa called Big Dog Billiards. Plenty of room and 44 tables along with lots of one hole and 9 ball action . Open Late

Big Dog Billiards
2200 East Euclid Ave
Des Moines Iowa 50317
515 262-6523

Mui_Master

Verified Member
what kind of one-pocket action is there..$20 a game or 50-100 a game? whens the best time to of the day/night to come in? anyone u recommend to play or not to play?

davAmundo

Verified Member
Music to My Ears...

Music to My Ears...

I am moving to Des Moines in early July, so that info makes me all tingly... Seriously - how would you characterize most of the action there? Here in Chucktown, I find myelf forced to play a lot of bar table 9-ball if I want action. Is there a big one-pocket scene there, or a lot of big table 9-ball?

DavAmundo

Bet_High

davAmundo said:
I am moving to Des Moines in early July, so that info makes me all tingly... Seriously - how would you characterize most of the action there? Here in Chucktown, I find myelf forced to play a lot of bar table 9-ball if I want action. Is there a big one-pocket scene there, or a lot of big table 9-ball?

DavAmundo
There is both big table and bar table 9 ball action and theres quite a few solid local players playing one hole from $10 cheap action to $50 and $100 action and then some 5 ahead matches for $500 or more..

Bet_High

Mui_Master said:
what kind of one-pocket action is there..$20 a game or 50-100 a game? whens the best time to of the day/night to come in? anyone u recommend to play or not to play?
There's just about any kind of action that tickles your fancy most nights but Monday nights are especially good for action as the Monday night 9 ball tournament has been drawing on average of 50+ players a week since it started.. There is a calcutta as well and payouts have been nice. As for who to play or not to play, dont play the guys that are holding a knife and fork looking at you like yer a nice steak dinner. haha! No seriously, if you show up you will just have to check out who is playing and gauge their level of play and maybe just play some cheap to start off.. Monday nights will tell you pretty much who is solid and who isn't as most everyone within about 150 miles of Des Moines is usually there to play in the tourney or gamble.

underdog

Verified Member
Des Moines

Des Moines

DavAmundo

There are some tremendous players in Des Moines. If you get a chance to watch Don McCaughey play, you are watching one of the best. Efron Reyes once said that Don had the best stroke in America. He was originally a 9 baller but plays one hole as good as any. His ex-son-in-law has moved from there (Scott Frost) but I hear he still comes around sometimes.

Bet_High

[/QUOTE] There are some tremendous players in Des Moines. If you get a chance to watch Don McCaughey play, you are watching one of the best. Efron Reyes once said that Don had the best stroke in America. He was originally a 9 baller but plays one hole as good as any. His ex-son-in-law has moved from there (Scott Frost) but I hear he still comes around sometimes.[/QUOTE]

As Mui Master stated and I will personally back this up, Scott Frost isn't and never was related to Don McCaughey, although Don did have a few drinks with Scott's Mom from time to time back in the days when Encounters/Mccoys Billiards was still open.

Last edited: