ONE POCKET TOURNAMENT @ Red Shoes Billiards February 11th, 2023

Red Shoes

Verified Member
From
Park Forest Illinois
Red Shoes Billiards will be hosting a ONE POCKET TOURNAMENT on Saturday February 11th, 2023. This is a $50 entry fee (green fee included), ***$500 ADDED***(based on a full field), Double Elimination (3-2), One Day ("IRON MAN") Event. For additional information CONTACT: John Lavin @ Red Shoes Billiards 12009 S. Pulaski Rd. Alsip, Illinois 60803 tel. 708-388-3700 or Website: redshoesbilliards.com or FACEBOOK. Must sign up by 11AM.

OldSchool

Verified Member
RESULTS.......(6:45 AM) 1st Ike Runnels....2nd Sergio Perez....3rd Scott Cohan....4th Neal Jacobs

How many players entered?...and does that 6:45 AM in your post signify that that's the time the final match ended?

lfigueroa

Verified Member
Terrible pool room from what I remember tbh

Seriously?

I’ve played in rooms all around the country and Red Shoes is one of the best. The equipment is kept in top-notch condition, the atmosphere is congenial, there are regularly scheduled tournaments, and if you can’t get played there you’re a nit. In addition, Monsignor Lavin is a congenial, don’t take no bs host and keeps everything on an even kneel.

What is there not to like?!

Lou Figueroa

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Seriously?

I’ve played in rooms all around the country and Red Shoes is one of the best. The equipment is kept in top-notch condition, the atmosphere is congenial, there are regularly scheduled tournaments, and if you can’t get played there you’re a nit. In addition, Monsignor Lavin is a congenial, don’t take no bs host and keeps everything on an even kneel.

What is there not to like?!

Lou Figueroa
I agree, Red Shoes is a top notch room. You’ll have to drive 1000 miles to find another top 1P room.

onepocketnovice

Good idea. Don't start out with onepocket.org as a knocker.
I've been here since it's inception. I'm 70 years old. Wasn't aware I was alone in my disdain for this particular pool room. Didn't mean to ruffle so many feathers and I don't believe this forum allows you to delete a message. Sorry guys, I'll give Red shoes another chance.

J.R.

Verified Member
From
Chicago, Illinois
How many players entered?...and does that 6:45 AM in your post signify that that's the time the final match ended?

The Red Shoes one pocket tournament was a full field. Because there are only 15 nine foot tables, the tournament is limited to the first 30 players. Unfortunately, some late arriving players, like Mark Jarvis, were turned away.

The tournament's format is that all match play continues until there is a winner. That's why it is called an "Iron Man's" tournament. I'm not sure if the tournament concluded at 6:45 in the morning or later, but I do know that the 3rd place finisher left early giving up the opportunity to play the loser of the "hot seat" match. If he had decided to further compete then another hour or two could have been added on to when the tournament would have ended. Nevertheless, players are allowed to split the prize money, but some refuse. That's their right. And for this tournament that is what happened, both players, who have been butting heads for years, refused to split and each wanted the bigger prize.

And by the way: In my humble opinion, Red Shoes Billiards is the best pool room in the Chicagoland area.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
I've been here since it's inception. I'm 70 years old. Wasn't aware I was alone in my disdain for this particular pool room. Didn't mean to ruffle so many feathers and I don't believe this forum allows you to delete a message. Sorry guys, I'll give Red shoes another chance.
I would like to know specifically why you dont like Red Shoes. If I give a review of a room, good or bad, I give specifics. Old worn cloth, dead rails, all the tables are buckets.

You didn't ruffle my feathers, you just made me think you don't know what you're talking about or you're a complete idiot. If you have a different opinion, that's fine, just tell us why. Maybe something happened that John would like to know about. No room is perfect, spill the beans dude.

Reactions: lll

onepocketnovice

I would like to know specifically why you dont like Red Shoes. If I give a review of a room, good or bad, I give specifics. Old worn cloth, dead rails, all the tables are buckets.

You didn't ruffle my feathers, you just made me think you don't know what you're talking about or you're a complete idiot. If you have a different opinion, that's fine, just tell us why. Maybe something happened that John would like to know about. No room is perfect, spill the beans dude.
My wife and I went in about 1-2pm on a Wednesday or Thursday. I wasn't greeted due to bartender/ employee playing one pocket on the table next to counter. We stood there for about 2 minutes before I walked around front counter and seen 3 guys around a pool table. After looking me and my wife up and down, was asked if I needed something. I replied " We'd like a table, please". I was then ushered toward the wall west or the counter to a table that was right next to a table whom had two gentlemen playing one pocket. There were 2 tables being used including the one the employee was playing on. About 7 people in the whole room including my wife and I. I politely asked if we could have a table that allowed 1 pool table in between me and the other gentleman playing because I didn't want to be directly next to these guys when the whole pool room was empty with the exception of the two that were occupied. I was met with an abhorrent "Na man, y'all are fine right there, these other tables are for larger groups". My wife pleaded with me to just play on that table and to leave it alone. The two gentlemen playing next to this table weren't happy with the situation either. One of them approached the employee and after some words the employee, the employee walked over to us and asked us "Just how long do you think you'll be". At this point I haven't screwed my cues together. I was livid at the notion that our patronism was apparently an inconvenience to this place. I purposely ignored him, turned around, grabbed my things and me and the wife left. That was the 1st and last time I ever set foot in Red shoes billiards.

onepocketnovice

We ended up at Chris's billiards. It was a much warmer welcome .Chris's billiards had plenty of room, nice tables and welcoming people. If I'm ever in the Chicago area again, I will be going back to Chris's.

Last edited:

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
My wife and I went in about 1-2pm on a Wednesday or Thursday. I wasn't greeted due to bartender/ employee playing one pocket on the table next to counter. We stood there for about 2 minutes before I walked around front counter and seen 3 guys around a pool table. After looking me and my wife up and down, was asked if I needed something. I replied " We'd like a table, please". I was then ushered toward the wall west or the counter to a table that was right next to a table whom had two gentlemen playing one pocket. There were 2 tables being used including the one the employee was playing on. About 7 people in the whole room including my wife and I. I politely asked if we could have a table that allowed 1 pool table in between me and the other gentleman playing because I didn't want to be directly next to these guys when the whole pool room was empty with the exception of the two that were occupied. I was met with an abhorrent "Na man, y'all are fine right there, these other tables are for larger groups". My wife pleaded with me to just play on that table and to leave it alone. The two gentlemen playing next to this table weren't happy with the situation either. One of them approached the employee and after some words the employee, the employee walked over to us and asked us "Just how long do you think you'll be". At this point I haven't screwed my cues together. I was livid at the notion that our patronism was apparently an inconvenience to this place. I purposely ignored him, turned around, grabbed my things and me and the wife left. That was the 1st and last time I ever set foot in Red shoes billiards.
I would be pissed off too. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had someone come into an almost empty room and want to play right next to me. Hopefully John will look into this. About how long ago was this?

oldroller

Verified Member

It sounds like he knows what he's talking about & not an idiot!!

Reactions: lll