Ray vs. Tom #1.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Ray's shot, his pocket is at the top right.....score is 2-1, Ray ahead.....several options available for Ray here.....the experienced One Pocket player's usual shot here would be to bank the 15 ball cross-corner towards his pocket, while having his cueball bounce off of the foot rail and into the side of the stack to knock balls towards his pocket...but....

....in this particular scenario, the 1ball is sitting in the area where the cueball would be heading/ending up after hitting the stack, thus very possibly selling out a shot on that 1ball...so because of that potential sellout this common shot choice is "fraught with some peril" 👀.

Also, some info re. the choice of shooting the 10ball in: the 9ball sitting under the stack cannot be banked cross-corner into Ray's pocket, but it does go straight into Tom's pocket..........so then, wwyd? >>>

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I'd still like to bank the 15 toward my side, but playing cue ball to hit the 7 more fully, so it won't be headed upstairs. Notice I didn't say banking it to make it. Gotta take what it gives you concentrating on cue ball here imo. But I'm posting this without yet taking it to the table... I might change my mind lol.

unoperro

Verified Member
I still have a heartbeat I am shooting the 10 in and leaving whitey on the footrail to clear the 15.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Cross corner 1 ball and 3 rail the cb back to long rail behind 15. One ball may hit the 11 but it's still a good shot if I control cb.

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
I looked at opening the 13 my issue is I think your just giving your opponent an easy out off the 10 since the 13 is just goint to the foot rial where it will be pocketable for both players

Reactions: lll

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I'd still like to bank the 15 toward my side, but playing cue ball to hit the 7 more fully, so it won't be headed upstairs. Notice I didn't say banking it to make it. Gotta take what it gives you concentrating on cue ball here imo. But I'm posting this without yet taking it to the table... I might change my mind lol.
I think I wuld ultimatly slow spin into the 15 to cross it to the foot rail and slow spin into the stack
How much risk of double kiss do you see?
none/some/will be close?

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
none that I see really since you are not trying to do anything but move the cue ball to a specific spot adn can adust hit on the object ball to take away risk. and what steve said

Reactions: lll

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Presumably the 3ball can't be combo/kissed into the shooters hole.
CCJohn's shot has merit, especially if the CB can be safely left in the stack without leaving a shot for the opponent's hole.

But I'd likely simply kick off the opponent's side rail into the 15(?), knocking it to the foot rail. The opponent can't bank the 1ball because the 10ball is there.

sorackem

Well-Known-Member
Not liking it for the reasons Ghost states, I still probably cross the 15 - speed to not give the 1, harder or softer a table call?
But if I cowered on that, I'd probably follow after to pot that 10 and see what I could do after.
-thanks, Ghost.

Kybanks

Verified Member
I like crossing the 1 to my side and leaving the cb around my opponents 1.5 diamonds. Not letting him see the 1 ball or the 10 ball.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
The angle does not look favorable to 1 rail bank the 1 ball to your hole, and still bring the cb around 3 rails to protect the 1 with the stack. ???
For a safe; how about skimming the 1 and place the cb on the foot rail, and try not to leave your 10 ball.

How about banking the 15 across corner using high cb and let the cb go up and down into the catcher's mitt within the stack.
Or,
play the 15 two rails to take it out of there, and have the cb go into the 7 ball sending the 9 ball towards our hole. The cb stays on the opponent's side of the stack.

I do not think cutting the 8 into the hole does much and it might not go because it is sitting a little deeper than the 5 ball.

Just some ideas to kick around, beyond my post # 16. Kicking into the 4 ball which appears to send the 9 ball towards my hole.
Whitey